JRiver Media Center Online Resources & Guides

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Day,
JRiver Media Center is a high quality software solution for organizing and playing all your digital media. It's widely recognized as a top tier product for both audio, video, TV, and photos.

Twilight Skin

The new Twilight Skin is light gray during the day, then at sunset becomes gradually a little darker over half an hour so it's easier on your eyes. 30 minutes before sunrise, it begins to become brighter.

JRVR -- Our New Top Quality Video Renderer
Our new video renderer is getting excellent feedback from those who are testing the early releases. Here's some of the Testing Feedback. Our goal is to provide a first tier renderer that is efficient enough to run on low power equipment and easy to set up.

Tabs
As with a web browser, you can open multiple tabs in JRiver. In MC28, you can now lock tabs and drag tabs to reorder.

Toolbar Clock
Did you know you can customize the toolbars at the top and bottom of Standard View? Right click to start. We've just added a clock.

Hardware Board on the Forum
If you're looking for advice on what hardware to use for audio and video, please try our hardware board on the forum. The same is true for video hardware.

Windows 11
It's coming and JRiver runs on it.

Linux and MacOS
Include the new JRVR video renderer, TV changes, MC / Mojave fixes, Download and install third party skins.
Mac only -- 32 bit integer mode audio (requires device support),
Linux only -- Drag and drop from within MC. MCC support. See our Devzone for details.

Television
OpenCable / CableCARD devices streaming in RTSP and DMS protocol are supported on Linux and Mac.

The TV program logos are now updated in the Standard View EPG.

Stable
MC28 is now stable. You can read more about it on our forum. Or get it from the Download Page.

Warm regards,

JRiver

Good Day,

We have some breaking news about Amazon Prime Video support this week.

Amazon Prime Video in Theater View [Windows Only]
We promised Prime Video support for version 30 and it's now coming to life. Amazon Prime Video can be added to Theater View in MC30's options and controlled with a keyboard, remote, or mouse. Remember how hard it can be to continue watching what you were watching last night? Now, MC will highlight it and you just press enter or OK to play it. Use your remote to control it and use our WDM driver to play the sound. You'll need the latest version from the forum.

Video Metadata
JRiver Media Center will now import additional video file metadata for improved filtering and future use in Tooltips and Theater View.

VST Changes
Better support for VST3 plug-ins for MC30's audio DSP. Should work with more plug-ins.

Magic Happens Here
Part of our work is making this sort of magic happen. When something difficult works for the first time, it's magic. Let me give you an example.

In my role as CEO of JRiver, I often work with software that still has problems. It's normal during development. It's part of the process. It's what we do as a team. When it eventually does work right, it's magic.

I recently had such an experience. I was on the road, testing JRiver for Android and its new Android Auto support.

JRiver for Android is now a pleasure to use -- not perfect, but good. Part of that pleasure is the addition of Android Auto.

But back to last week's drive. As I left the house and my home network, music continued playing from Cloudplay. JRiver was playing the same Cloudplay playlist I had just been listening to at home. "Golden Beloved Evergreens - Part 1" by user Lupus. It played perfectly. Magic! Cliff Richard, Maria No Mas; Pat Thomas, One Note Samba; Vikki Carr, So Nice. A very nice mix.

So to take this apart and show you how many points of failure there are, here are the steps.

Lupus uploaded the lossless playlist and audio files from an MC library to our Amazon server. (We pay the royalty.) Cloudplay is all lossless, including some Hi-Res and multi-channel files.

JRiver for Android displayed its new interface in Android Auto and resumed playback automatically. It had access to Cloudplay as well as my entire home library.

JRiver connected via mobile network to my home server running on a JRiver IdPi. The little IdPi makes a great file server for this purpose.

The phone and JRiver also had to make the change from Wi-Fi to mobile network automatically. Then back again when I arrive home. No small feat.

Cloudplay now has 430,000 tracks that are available in my car. It's a very personal sort of radio station.

You can probably see how complex this is to do, and why we feel such a pleasure when it works. Perfection is always our goal, but it's sometimes hard to do. It takes patience and persistence. My congratulations and thanks to our great team for these achievements!

Hearing Loss
Here's a discussion on our forum about how to use JRiver's equalizer to compensate for hearing loss at high frequencies.

Maus Browser Control [Windows Only]

You can add a web page to Theater View and control it with your remote or keyboard.

New in MC30
You can read more about what's new in MC30 here.

Download and Install

Don't forget to download MC30 and install it.
Warm regards,

JRiver

It had access to Cloudplay as well as my entire home library.

JRiver connected via mobile network to my home server running on a JRiver IdPi. The little IdPi makes a great file server for this purpose.

The phone and JRiver also had to make the change from Wi-Fi to mobile network automatically. Then back again when I arrive home. No small feat.
Very interesting!

I recently upgraded from MC26 to MC31 and was pleased to find JRiver now plays back full Atmos from MKV rips from my blurays and also supports M4A.
Prior I was converting M4A to MKA using MMH. MKA sucks for file tagging so support of M4A is a big plus.

Atmos still has the problem with the click between individual tracks as the AVR switches between songs so having a single MKV file with chapters is still needed.

Having ripped all my discs due to 4.0 not playing back right on my receiver, I now have backups for those precious discs and a swiss army knife player that my Oppo could not guarantee as my newer receiver could not handle my old 4.0 conversions.

Thought others would like to know.

I recently upgraded from MC26 to MC31 and was pleased to find JRiver now plays back full Atmos from MKV rips from my blurays and also supports M4A.
Prior I was converting M4A to MKA using MMH. MKA sucks for file tagging so support of M4A is a big plus.

Atmos still has the problem with the click between individual tracks as the AVR switches between songs so having a single MKV file with chapters is still needed.

Having ripped all my discs due to 4.0 not playing back right on my receiver, I now have backups for those precious discs and a swiss army knife player that my Oppo could not guarantee as my newer receiver could not handle my old 4.0 conversions.

Thx for update! Are you going HDMI from the Oppo to AVR? Or analog?

I go from PC/JRiver to Oppo via HDMI and the Oppo to AVR with analog.

So I can see where Atmos would need HDMI, I don’t quite understand why 4.0 was an issue at all. But anyway glad to hear JRiver finally has an upgrade that offers something new that is useful. I git talked into upgrading (by someone on that other forum), and I went ahead and did it, spent the cash and got nothing out of it at all. (Not trying to be a downer, but cash does not grow on trees, I’d rather spend it on new Quadio releases if I can.

I now use HDMI for all digital media. PC to AVR, Oppo to AVR.
The 4.0 issue is caused by the decoder chip in the AVR. Going analouge would get around that.

I have been keeping my JRiver up to date for years and have been playing my ATMOS music, MKV Files, for a long time with no issues, clicking, on playback, either chapters, or root MKV file.
I use MAKEMKV for the initial rip, then use MMH for either Chapter Tagging or if a gapless album, like Abbey Road I just use the root file.
JRiver at least not yet, will not play MKV chapter files in gapless. JRiver will play gapless in FLAC.
After my ripping is complete and moved to my NAS, I then Import into JRiver. JRiver imports the MKV file into it's Video folder.
I play the ATMOS MKV Files from the video folder, HDMI out from my PC to Pre Pro as a Dolby Atmos signal. I set up an ATMOS ZONE on my JRiver for proper ATMOS playback.
50% of time there are some tagging issues, but they take minutes to fix.
As I am HDMI out I am able to see the chapters or root file on my TV screen. The process of MAKEMKV and MMH is a nice combo to have video graphics of the Blu Ray if wanted.
Plus with the video attached I am able to know the name of song if listening to a gapless root file.
I do not use a MKV file for anything except ATMOS, if listening to 2.0 or 5.1, I extract the chapters into FLAC for that type of listening.
Hope this may help others.
It is my own experience and I have no other experience.
@HomerJAU has taught me all that I know.

Back