JRiver Media Center Online Resources & Guides

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. There is a Smartlist option to detect them.
2. You can delete them directly from JRiver.
3. I caution against and AUTO remove/delete option.
Thank you, I ended up just going into the Nas and deleting by hand, it felt safer that way to me. A 3 hour repetitive project. Went to MCenter, hit import, my Nas, and was done in about 5 seconds. All good now.
Still a few more bugs, but I'll figure out. Works perfect, plays perfect, goes between all my DFF and FLAC files seamlessly.
I'm using an app on my PC called SplashTop that lets me see the Intel Nuc and the JRiver for any little tweaks. Then mostly can just use the JRiver app remote on phone for day to day use.
I assume I should get 100% on this before going to 64bit version ? How would I do that ?

Just a note for others about my JRiver app. What a dream, works so good, highly recommend.
I have it loaded on my iPhone and my iPad. I prefer the iPad as there is a bit more control. I have the Media Center on my NUC that reads my NAS all the time so if I purchase download or rip a CD and put in NAS I don't even open the Media Center, it's already done and in my app RECENTS folder, etc.
I was going to write an index card for my wife to work but I came home last night and Roy Orbison was playing. Trust me, if she can do it, anybody can. Easier than the Bluesound app that we where using previously and more files to see at the same time. If I start the music on the iPad and walk out into the kitchen I can use my iPhone to change, the two act as one.
ll of this music now going USB out from the NUC to the McIntosh D150. Win, Win, great product.

I assume I should get 100% on this before going to 64bit version ? How would I do that ?
are you running the 64 bit version of JRiver alrerady? If not, you can easily download and install. It will look for your license file and you are good to go.

You might need to uninstall the 32 bit version, I cannot remember exactly what I did tbh.

are you running the 64 bit version of JRiver alrerady? If not, you can easily download and install. It will look for your license file and you are good to go.

You might need to uninstall the 32 bit version, I cannot remember exactly what I did tbh.

I just installed the 64 bit version and it found my JRiver album catalog.
Worked fine without an install.

I've been on the 64 bit version since.

I have to look into that Robert, I am not sure, I first need to find out where is the 64bit offered. I believe on this thread Kal says where.

I'm ready to go forward on enhancing my JRiver Player. I have set to audio only from the view tab. I use the Aruba skin. I noticed that when I rip a lot in a row and I force import now JRiver doesn't like it likes it better when the files just come naturally out of the NAS.
I have made two player zones one for stereo, perfect need no help, but my Multichannel zone craps out when I go from a 4.0 to a 5.1 and I have to reset, I must have my DSP studio or my playback options not correct.
The playback is though the MX122 that I have to manually, with remote, switch zones from the external DAC to the HDMI zone in the MX122, not really a problem.
I have to admit after playing back the DSD stereo rips, I much prefer the sound quality to the PCM multichannel, probably another reason for the Exasound to be added.
If I could get some help on getting my multichannel zone to play without the bugs that would be great.
I plan on looking through all this thread and watching the videos Brian posted.

Reactions: GOS
I'm ready to go forward on enhancing my JRiver Player. I have set to audio only from the view tab. I use the Aruba skin. I noticed that when I rip a lot in a row and I force import now JRiver doesn't like it likes it better when the files just come naturally out of the NAS.
I have made two player zones one for stereo, perfect need no help, but my Multichannel zone craps out when I go from a 4.0 to a 5.1 and I have to reset, I must have my DSP studio or my playback options not correct.
The playback is though the MX122 that I have to manually, with remote, switch zones from the external DAC to the HDMI zone in the MX122, not really a problem.
I have to admit after playing back the DSD stereo rips, I much prefer the sound quality to the PCM multichannel, probably another reason for the Exasound to be added.
If I could get some help on getting my multichannel zone to play without the bugs that would be great.
I plan on looking through all this thread and watching the videos Brian posted.

One option is to begin adding a silent center and sub channel to 4.0 recordings. That will only work for PCM rips. Very simple process in Audiomuxer.

Edit...If you just plan on using jRiver, set DSP Studio output to "Source number of channels". That way all the processing will be done with the McIntosh.

Edit 2...For PCM files, uncheck all the options in jRiver DSP Studio, including Output Format. You don't need the DSP functions if you're doing the processing in the McIntosh.

I set up a different Zone in jRiver for DSD stuff because the HDMI input on my Oppo doesn't do DSD. I can convert to PCM using jRiver DSP, or playback directly to the Oppo using an attached drive or over the network without any conversion. Your McIntosh may handle DSD files differently and you might be able to pass them directly through?

Last edited:
One option is to begin adding a silent center and sub channel to 4.0 recordings. That will only work for PCM rips. Very simple process in Audiomuxer.

Edit...If you just plan on using jRiver, set DSP Studio output to "Source number of channels". That way all the processing will be done with the McIntosh.

Edit 2...For PCM files, uncheck all the options in jRiver DSP Studio, including Output Format. You don't need the DSP functions if you're doing the processing in the McIntosh.

I set up a different Zone in jRiver for DSD stuff because the HDMI input on my Oppo doesn't do DSD. I can convert to PCM using jRiver DSP, or playback directly to the Oppo using an attached drive or over the network without any conversion. Your McIntosh may handle DSD files differently and you might be able to pass them directly through?

Thanks Himey, going to try all that. Also I thought would it make sense to have two or more Multichannel Zones, 1 for 5.1 and another for 4.0 and the few 3.0's I have I could just wing it.
I remember awhile back you also said that if you press play on whatever thumbnail/album that it will automatically go into stereo or MCH, something like that. Did I remember correctly?

I did do your first edit and and it did not help, I'll try your second edit.

Last, for now, it seemed when I played the MCH files through the MX122, the surround volume was a little strong in the rears and and weak in the center channel, vocals. I need to put the hard disc in to see if that is like that with the hard disc, but I don't think so.

Thanks Himey, going to try all that. Also I thought would it make sense to have two or more Multichannel Zones, 1 for 5.1 and another for 4.0 and the few 3.0's I have I could just wing it.
I remember awhile back you also said that if you press play on whatever thumbnail/album that it will automatically go into stereo or MCH, something like that. Did I remember correctly?

I did do your first edit and and it did not help, I'll try your second edit.

Last, for now, it seemed when I played the MCH files through the MX122, the surround volume was a little strong in the rears and and weak in the center channel, vocals. I need to put the hard disc in to see if that is like that with the hard disc, but I don't think so.

Each zone is like a playlist. Remember however that you must stop playback on the zone that is playing, before selecting a song on another playlist in a different zone! The error you will encounter is somewhat of a bug. It says that your settings are wrong but actually it just can't change zones until you stop playback. Keep this in mind when you are troubleshooting each zone.

I am not understanding your question about automatically knowing a zone. I think you are misunderstanding zone features. A zone is a playlist that remembers all your settings. You must choose a zone before adding files.

Your settings in the McIntosh processor shouldn't be different between your HDMI inputs and jRiver.

Last edited:
Each zone is like a playlist. Remember however that you must stop playback on the zone that is playing, before selecting a song on another playlist in a different zone! The error you will encounter is somewhat of a bug. It says that your settings are wrong but actually it just can't change zones until you stop playback. Keep this in mind when you are troubleshooting each zone.

Understood, I'll keep you posted, probably will be able to do a little Thurs and Fri evenings.

OK, gonna do a little tonight while I watch the Vikings beat the Rams, that is what every 49er fan wishes for tonight.
My goal tonight is to get all my players, buffering times, volume, etc all equal. I think what would be a good idea is to have 3 players.
A stereo, which is working perfectly, a 5.1 player which for now they way I have it only likes 5.1, I am going to add a 4.0/3.0 player.
All my MCH albums I tagged either 3.0, 4.0 and 5.1. I think having 3 players will be the best for my pea brain.
I remember Himey saying I could have one MCH player, but I couldn't figure out. Do the stereos go into a playlist and the MCH's another playlist?
A little Bud and Jack should have me in a good space, all the while I continue to rip, rip, rip, SACD's.

OK, gonna do a little tonight while I watch the Vikings beat the Rams, that is what every 49er fan wishes for tonight.
My goal tonight is to get all my players, buffering times, volume, etc all equal. I think what would be a good idea is to have 3 players.
A stereo, which is working perfectly, a 5.1 player which for now they way I have it only likes 5.1, I am going to add a 4.0/3.0 player.
All my MCH albums I tagged either 3.0, 4.0 and 5.1. I think having 3 players will be the best for my pea brain.
I remember Himey saying I could have one MCH player, but I couldn't figure out. Do the stereos go into a playlist and the MCH's another playlist?
A little Bud and Jack should have me in a good space, all the while I continue to rip, rip, rip, SACD's.
????
1. I can feed output to multiple zones with different devices and interfaces and I can do so simultaneously.
2. I can feed any format source material to any output zone with any number of channels.
3. I keep all my files in directories by content but I let JRiver views distinguish them by format or other tagged parameters.
JRiver may have a steep learning curve but it can do all that and much more without forcing such constraints on the user.

????
1. I can feed output to multiple zones with different devices and interfaces and I can do so simultaneously.
2. I can feed any format source material to any output zone with any number of channels.
3. I keep all my files in directories by content but I let JRiver views distinguish them by format or other tagged parameters.
JRiver may have a steep learning curve but it can do all that and much more without forcing such constraints on the user.

Sorry Kal, I understand you know how to do a lot, but I am not as experienced as you. Telling me what you can do vs how you do what you do is no help.

Happy Day, Hooray, I did it. I have to go thru my own quirky process but it is playing beautiful. I did this:
I set up 3 players, stereo, 5.1, and a 4.0. I have to go thru some hoops but works perfect.
Stereo Player, goes thru the D150 external DAC USB connected, plays all stereo rips, 44.1, DSD single and double, Flac files.
5.1 player is HDMI to my MX122, I have to manually (remote) set to the incoming HDMI from the NUC that I titled JRiver. PLay any 5.1 rips and works perfect.
4.0 player, same as above.
I kept getting a pop up when I had the original mch player only, so I said screw it I'll just make a new player.
I can't tell you how happy I am to have, after a year accomplished this. I know as Kal and Himey have said you can set up JRiver to do much more than I have done, including doing it a weird way, but a win is a win, Thank you QQ, deserves a banana.:SG:SG:rocks

Last edited:
Sorry Kal, I understand you know how to do a lot, but I am not as experienced as you. Telling me what you can do vs how you do what you do is no help.
That was not my intent but, rather, to say that your approach was not necessary and that it could be accomplished more simply.

Happy Day, Hooray, I did it. I have to go thru my own quirky process but it is playing beautiful. I did this:
I set up 3 players, stereo, 5.1, and a 4.0. I have to go thru some hoops but works perfect.
Stereo Player, goes thru the D150 external DAC USB connected, plays all stereo rips, 44.1, DSD single and double, Flac files.
5.1 player is HDMI to my MX122, I have to manually (remote) set to the incoming HDMI from the NUC that I titled JRiver. PLay any 5.1 rips and works perfect.
4.0 player, same as above.
I think what you are describing is what JRiver calls zones.

Congratulations!

In the left pane that has Playing Now, Audio etc, can I make a folder under the Audio section, can I make a folder, same as Artists, Albums, etc, called 5.1, 4.0, DSD etc, or do I have to do that in the Playlists section?
Can I drag and drop the thumbnails to the new folder wherever it might be?
I think it might tell you how to do that in the video on Brian's Post # 1.

In the left pane that has Playing Now, Audio etc, can I make a folder under the Audio section, can I make a folder, same as Artists, Albums, etc, called 5.1, 4.0, DSD etc, or do I have to do that in the Playlists section?
Can I drag and drop the thumbnails to the new folder wherever it might be?
I think it might tell you how to do that in the video on Brian's Post # 1.
Again. I am talking about a new "view" in that menu. It is not a folder and not a playlist. It is simply a way to view a selection defined by you.
As for playlists, I cannot help as I never use them (except for parties).

Foobar has an audio wave that shows on one of there skins that everybody seems to use, showing the 5.1 waves. My JRiver has a little right and left one (stereo) at top even when playing MCH. Does JRiver have the 5.1 sound wave like the Foobar?

Back