July 2017 Quadio Forum Musings

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Turn up The Eagles / The neighbors are listening..."

They could call it Quadio+.:)

Personally, I am so burnt out on the Eagles and have been this way for about the past 15 years and I'm not saying that I don't listen to them now. It's just a lot less frequent. Would I purchase a Quadio set? Yes, I would, but a Doobie Brothers box looks more enticing to me. I still play a lot of Doobies and hate to admit that, "Takin' It To The Streets", is the one album I've been playing the most in the past 5 years. To each their own.

Any chance of conducting a poll regarding potential Quadio releases our members would like to see? For me, The Doobie Brothers and The Eagles would be absolutely a "yes." I wouldn't go for Bette Midler or Alice Cooper, but a good number of people might want them, enough to make those titles viable. Problem is identifying titles with real potential rather than those that are just fantasies.

Any chance of conducting a poll regarding potential Quadio releases our members would like to see? For me, The Doobie Brothers and The Eagles would be absolutely a "yes." I wouldn't go for Bette Midler or Alice Cooper, but a good number of people might want them, enough to make those titles viable. Problem is identifying titles with real potential rather than those that are just fantasies.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ficial-Quadio-Future-Title-Poll-(Please-Vote)

WOO HOO! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::51banana:

I'd love the Quads on BD-A of The Doobies, The Eagles, and Joni Mitchell :music, I think they'd all end up on continuous rotation for quite some time! Edit; and having looked at the poll Average White Band too.

On a serious marketing note to Rhino: I spend considerable sums buying 4.0 & 5.1 albums when they're released, normally as pre-orders, and I prioritise those over stereo, so I pay top money. I still buy CDs of old and new albums but I wait until the price drops for those. Stereo only BD-As are OK-ish, but often I've had them on cassette, vinyl, CD, re-mastered CD, expanded and re-re-mastered CD, so they have to be albums I really love if I purchase them, as they tend to be expensive when you consider how many times I've bought then before on other formats. But Quad or 5.1 mixes are a new(or old) take on what sits in my ever expanding collection, and they just enhance the music and production IMHO, you hear everything going on all around you, so they are what I make a bee-line for when I hear about them. So if Rhino Records can dig out all those buried Quads or 5.1s and can get them out there I'll be a lot poorer, but way way happier! :banana:

... and the Aretha Franklin & Chicago were great! :upthumb The Chicago box set was just so well done, and Chicago aren't one of my most favourite bands, but the Quadio set really shows how good they are.

Eagles and Doobie Brothers would both be very welcome additions and if it is similar to Chicago Bluray set quality and very fair pricing that would be a couple of awesome releases. I think the Eagles set would be the bigger seller of the two based on recent concert sales between bands as well as generally I think they were the bigger selling band weren't they.
Aren't they in the similar popularity field as Fleetwood Mac, now there would be another good boxset to come out a Fleetwood Mac Bluray boxset of all their albums in 5.1, oh forgot talking quadio here :)

Being a Quadio release I'd probably buy both the Doobies and Eagles, but prefer the Eagles, already own multiple releases with only 1 Doobies LP (best of ).

It's great to see all this discussion...for a while I was really worried the Chicago set would be a one-off.

Like many on the forum I've heard all the Doobies quad mixes (I've had the CD-4 LPs for ages) and can easily say they are really fantastic. Doobies fans who haven't heard them will probably never want to go back to the stereo again. One of my favorite surround moments ever is in the song "Road Angel" on the "Vice/Habits" disc. Towards the end of the song there is this part where each instrument is slowly added channel by channel as if to demo CD-4. I listen to a self-made CD-4 to DTS-CD conversion of that disc in my Acura all the time, so an upgraded version with less surface noise would be welcomed. The songs from this set of albums are for the most part catchy tunes with awesome guitar riffs and solos. I admit I'm a little tired of "The Captain & Me" since I've been hearing the quad and the ELS 5.1 a lot lately, but the other discs are so good it doesn't matter. So to sum things up, a Doobies Quadio set would be an instant buy.

As for the discussion of the eagles, I can't even begin to describe how much I'd love to heard the quad mixes of the first two albums. I'm pretty confident they exist since they have actual catalog numbers on the quad discography site, and several unreleased mixes listed on that site have been released (Tull "Minstrel" and "Too Old" as well as Cobham "Spectrum" come to mind). I also remember reading somewhere that there may have been 5.1 remixes prepared of "The Long Run" and Henley's "Inside Job". It could also be possible that a quad "Hotel California" may exist (not that the DVD-A 5.1 version isn't great). Hopefully Rhino can come through and deliver even one, if not all, of these lost recordings.

Update: Here is the song segment I mentioned above split into front/rear mp3s
View attachment Road Angel CD-4 Excerpt FRONT.mp3
View attachment Road Angel CD-4 Excerpt REAR.mp3

Such a cool mix

Is this thread just discussion and wishful speculation- no news to report?

God it almost looked like news of an upcoming release or something.

I certainly hope we hear something Quadio in the news soon.

Warner / Rhino now know that we want these old quad mixes, there is no worry that our voices have slipped through the cracks. Just by Audio Fidelity successfully finding older quad titles and bringing them to market sends a good signal (to WB catalog Dept.) just in case everyone who previously cared was let go.

But what is next I keep asking?

It's great to see all this discussion...for a while I was really worried the Chicago set would be a one-off.

Like many on the forum I've heard all the Doobies quad mixes (I've had the CD-4 LPs for ages) and can easily say they are really fantastic. Doobies fans who haven't heard them will probably never want to go back to the stereo again. One of my favorite surround moments ever is in the song "Road Angel" on the "Vice/Habits" disc. Towards the end of the song there is this part where each instrument is slowly added channel by channel as if to demo CD-4. I listen to a self-made CD-4 to DTS-CD conversion of that disc in my Acura all the time, so an upgraded version with less surface noise would be welcomed. The songs from this set of albums are for the most part catchy tunes with awesome guitar riffs and solos. I admit I'm a little tired of "The Captain & Me" since I've been hearing the quad and the ELS 5.1 a lot lately, but the other discs are so good it doesn't matter. So to sum things up, a Doobies Quadio set would be an instant buy.

As for the discussion of the eagles, I can't even begin to describe how much I'd love to heard the quad mixes of the first two albums. I'm pretty confident they exist since they have actual catalog numbers on the quad discography site, and several unreleased mixes listed on that site have been released (Tull "Minstrel" and "Too Old" as well as Cobham "Spectrum" come to mind). I also remember reading somewhere that there may have been 5.1 remixes prepared of "The Long Run" and Henley's "Inside Job". It could also be possible that a quad "Hotel California" may exist (not that the DVD-A 5.1 version isn't great). Hopefully Rhino can come through and deliver even one, if not all, of these lost recordings.

Update: Here is the song segment I mentioned above split into front/rear mp3s
View attachment 29869
View attachment 29870

Such a cool mix

Looks like a one-off to me. LOL

Actually, if you read around (and now below), you'll find that a Rhino rep has posted here that we can "keep our fingers crossed" for a Doobies box next year. That's a little encouraging.

Also, the Doors Singles box will have the "Best Of" Quad LP on a BluRay disc. This is what started all of the ruckus.

See below:

The fact that it sold through its initial production run AND the sales department requested another run produced is a very positive thing.

Fingers crossed for Doobies in 2018.

And of course there already was the Quadio Poll and I had voted on it and had already forgotten about it! Senior moments rein supreme. :mad:@:

............and there's a lot of that going on around here!!! :mad:@::confused::mad:@:

A Doobies box would do OK, but I can tell you as a music seller that the Eagles sell a lot better than the Doobie Brothers, and a collection of their quad/surround mixes would sell as well or better than the Chicago box. I think Irv Azoff is gone, so maybe their present management would be easier to work with.

Azoff currently manages both Doobies and Eagles (and Fleetwood Mac).

My preference, and the other two as well, and yes please include that all important "Quadradisc " logo. Wouldn't be just right without them. :smokin.

20160604_195942.jpg

:upthumb---Super Quad mixes that are sure to sell.

Actually, if you read around (and now below), you'll find that a Rhino rep has posted here that we can "keep our fingers crossed" for a Doobies box next year. That's a little encouraging.

Also, the Doors Singles box will have the "Best Of" Quad LP on a BluRay disc. This is what started all of the ruckus.

See below:

No exactly depressing, but I found that BR news to have a redundant feel to it. It shows that Audio Fidelity's product line is influential. It makes other labels stand up and take notice.

... and the Aretha Franklin & Chicago were great! :upthumb The Chicago box set was just so well done, and Chicago aren't one of my most favourite bands, but the Quadio set really shows how good they are.

I doubt I would have bought into the Chicago back catalogue but I bought into that set - I didn't know they could carry such a groove! A great sounding, well authored set (original audio errors aside - but they fixed them *pay attention other record labels*). I also really liked the Aretha album, was it only dismissed by some of the potential buyers because it had been available on reel?

I doubt I would have bought into the Chicago back catalogue but I bought into that set - I didn't know they could carry such a groove! A great sounding, well authored set (original audio errors aside - but they fixed them *pay attention other record labels*). I also really liked the Aretha album, was it only dismissed by some of the potential buyers because it had been available on reel?

The Chicago box set was an excellent value; and the CTA disc in that box, while seemingly redundant, was actually a sonic improvement over the Quadio DTS version even if the vocals did seem a bit too low.

Speaking for myself, the Aretha disc was a disappointment for me. I was anticipating one of the numerous classic rock titles that could have made an excellent followup to the CTA Quadio. Why not keep up the momentum with the classic rock genre given CTA's success? Probably a whole host of reasons. Also Bob's teaser posts set me up to think that I was going to get another classic rock album of 'biblical proportions.' :)

The Chicago box set was an excellent value; and the CTA disc in that box, while seemingly redundant, was actually a sonic improvement over the Quadio DTS version even if the vocals did seem a bit too low.

I didn't know this. I will have to check that out. Was this everyone that purchased the original Quadio and the box set of Blu-ray Discs of Chicago's first, listening experience too?

Back