Just a Thought and Question about DV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwb474

QQ Supporter
First off I did not know that DV existed until the quad release program started. Since then I have been looking at their entire catalog and there is a wealth of easy listening and classical titles at rock bottom prices (Although stereo only, Phew! :D) I have been thinking on buying a few of there stereo titles. With my limited budget to spend, I have zeroed in on quad, but I would consider other offerings. One thing for sure I would buy any of the old Audio Fidelity titles (not the current Audio Fidelity folks) if they became available. I still am on the look out for new or mint AF records or R-R tapes.
Now my question: How has DV's base customers responded to this "new Quad" title offerings, since the SACDs contain a stereo DSD and CD red book tracks? Do they sell the "other music genres" to their base customers? How receptive have they been. As we know the quad program failed and eventually Audio Fidelity decided to close. How does DV feel about the future of the quad release program?
Inquiring minds want to know.

First off I did not know that DV existed until the quad release program started. Since then I have been looking at their entire catalog and there is a wealth of easy listening and classical titles at rock bottom prices (Although stereo only, Phew! :D) I have been thinking on buying a few of there stereo titles. With my limited budget to spend, I have zeroed in on quad, but I would consider other offerings. One thing for sure I would buy any of the old Audio Fidelity titles (not the current Audio Fidelity folks) if they became available. I still am on the look out for new or mint AF records or R-R tapes.
Now my question: How has DV's base customers responded to this "new Quad" title offerings, since the SACDs contain a stereo DSD and CD red book tracks? Do they sell the "other music genres" to their base customers? How receptive have they been. As we know the quad program failed and eventually Audio Fidelity decided to close. How does DV feel about the future of the quad release program?

I believe that's a series of questions only Michael Dutton could conceivably answer and I'm sure many QQers would appreciate answers to, as well.

All I can surmise is that since approximately two years ago, Dutton Vocalion has been releasing a veritable cornucopia of QUAD SACDs ...... IMO, more surround titles than ALL the other reissue companies combined. And progressively, more QUAD pop/rock titles have been released since D~V's earlier days of releasing easy listening music which was more in tune with its customer base.

And most importantly, Dutton Vocalion has done what all the other reissue companies could not accomplish..........QUAD two~fers for roughly half the price of all other reissue company's single 4.0/5.1 releases. NO SMALL FEAT in today's inflated economy.

One can only look forward to Dutton Vocalion's future releases, applaud its efforts, both past and present, and continue to support their further QUAD and Stereo SACD release program....as befitting your tastes .... and budget.

And I cannot stress adequately that the highest level of standards have been applied to each and every one of D~V's SACDs, both multichannel and stereo, popular, easy listening, jazz as well as classical.

Last edited:
I think an important thing is that it is Michael Dutton's company, no other shareholders screaming for cash. So he can please himself, but also he isn't going to risk his livelihood. At a guess we're his target market for the Rock/Jazz/Soul Quads, so if we keep buying I hope he'll keep releasing! Its raised DV's profile to me, and I've been branching out and buying some of the Classical releases as well, but the 'easy-listening' releases aren't for me.

It's funny about D-V. Of course I "found" them because they started reissuing the easy listening quads, and even though I am not a big easy listening guy, I bought most of them because they were surround and frankly, they were extremely affordable.

But, I digress. Back in 1971 my father bought a Dodge Challenger (!!), which was very cool BTW, but it actually came with a cassette deck in the car. As I recall it sorta sat on the drive sharft hump and stuck up. Anyway, it came with an RCA demo tape. I have always been into music, and of course played in the High School Band, and my parents were always playing Jazz and stuff, so I had a good musical background with regard to different types of music. Anyway, on that demo cassette was a pile of crappy tunes, but one tune stood out to me and that was Peter Nero playing "Mame". Now, it's not my kind of tune, and Peter Nero is not someone I follow(ed), but that mix and piano work stood out to me as very cool, almost Vince Guaraldi like (not really, but in a jazz piano kind of way) and that was the tune I would play in that car when I was in it. So time goes by, the quad stuff happens, and I kept looking for that tune on a quad Peter Nero LP, but no. Then I forgot about it. Then a year or so ago I remembered it and Googled it to see what album it was from. And there it was, on a D-V two-fer! So I ordered it! And again, it was the only tune I listened to on that CD, but to me it was worth the $12 or so I paid for it just for that tune.

So thanks Michael for putting out great stuff, for embracing surround SACDs, and for being there when most everyone else has bailed out on us. Good job and keep going. We love it!

EDIT - I found a 1971 Challenger interior picture with the funky cassette player on the hump. I don't think my Dad's shifter looked like this one though, at least I don't remember it looking like this:

challenger.jpg

Last edited:
I might actually be a bit "basic," since I'd heard their stuff before they started with the quad releases, but given that I'm also here I might not be entirely typical. As I think I've said elsewhere here, Michael Dutton did fantastic digital transfers for D-V of Sir John Barbirolli's recordings from the 1950s, including the first stereo release of his recording of Mahler's 1st Symphony made for Pye. I'll admit I kind of view the MOR stuff as an unfortunate distraction, but I'm entirely aware that other people love it, and that the world doesn't revolve around my tastes. And my quad perspective is that any new quad releases are good. I'm less sanguine on the stereo-only stuff, but whatever - as I said, their market is broader than one person.

I think an important thing is that it is Michael Dutton's company, no other shareholders screaming for cash. So he can please himself, but also he isn't going to risk his livelihood. At a guess we're his target market for the Rock/Jazz/Soul Quads, so if we keep buying I hope he'll keep releasing! Its raised DV's profile to me, and I've been branching out and buying some of the Classical releases as well, but the 'easy-listening' releases aren't for me.

As far as D~V's 'target audience' Duncan, I wouldn't be surprised if they were 'rockers' and 'popsters' as well. I actually grew up listening to Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Barbra Streisand, Ella Fitzgerald, etc. and then 'evolved' into rock 'n roll so I wouldn't be surprised if D~V's original base [ages 40~65?] aren't springing for the newer QUAD hard rock/pop albums....if only for the RBCD layer as Michael has wisely priced his discs, especially the two~fers, to sell at very affordable prices.

Last edited:
It's funny about D-V. Of course I "found" them because they started reissuing the easy listening quads, and even though I am not a big easy listening guy, I bought most of them because they were surround and frankly, they were extremely affordable.

But, I digress. Back in 1971 my father bought a Dodge Challenger (!!), which was very cool BTW, but it actually came with a cassette deck in the car. As I recall it sorta sat on the drive sharft hump and stuck up. Anyway, it came with an RCA demo tape. I have always been into music, and of course played in the High School Band, and my parents were always playing Jazz and stuff, so I had a good musical background with regard to different types of music. Anyway, on that demo cassette was a pile of crappy tunes, but one tune stood out to me and that was Peter Nero playing "Mame". Now, it's not my kind of tune, and Peter Nero is not someone I follow(ed), but that mix and piano work stood out to me as very cool, almost Vince Guaraldi like (not really, but in a jazz piano kind of way) and that was the tune I would play in that car when I was in it. So time goes by, the quad stuff happens, and I kept looking for that tune on a quad Peter Nero LP, but no. Then I forgot about it. Then a year or so ago I remembered it and Googled it to see what album it was from. And there it was, on a D-V two-fer! So I ordered it! And again, it was the only tune I listened to on that CD, but to me it was worth the $12 or so I paid for it just for that tune.

So thanks Michael for putting out great stuff, for embracing surround SACDs, and for being there when most everyone else has bailed out on us. Good job and keep going. We love it!

EDIT - I found a 1971 Challenger interior picture with the funky cassette player on the hump. I don't think my Dad's shifter looked like this one though, at least I don't remember it looking like this:

View attachment 33484
I infer from the carpet that it was Plum Crazy!

Is the field of possible DV releases limited to albums originally recorded in quad? Or could original recording tapes of non quad releases be remixed into quad? Assuming the copyright owner agrees and there is demand of course.

Is the field of possible DV releases limited to albums originally recorded in quad? Or could original recording tapes of non quad releases be remixed into quad? Assuming the copyright owner agrees and there is demand of course.

Even though Michael Dutton has released a few classical titles in QUAD which he, himself, remixed from the master tapes supplied him, to actually do a full 4.0/5.1 remix from multitracks I would assume is not part of the equation at present.

Even though Michael Dutton has released a few classical titles in QUAD which he, himself, remixed from the master tapes supplied him, to actually do a full 4.0/5.1 remix from multitracks I would assume is not part of the equation at present.
Which ones???

Back