Just announced: Chicago At Carnegie Hall!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched the unboxing video - Nice packaging but has the original LP insert that I already have in the LP set and a couple of posters I would look at a couple of times then fold them up and put them back in the box. I think I would rather have a Terry Kath guitar pick. At least I could use that.
My first impressions of the "Someday" preview: distorted vocal, dull drums and muted compressed horns. It's another Tim Jessup disaster. Do they just keep him around to have someone to blame? Remember he said there was nothing wrong with his CTA remix, but it would be re-done....but it wasn't. Thanks for saving me some cash by not buying this set, Tim.

Disagree completely. That recording sounds just as good as the original Carnegie Hall set put out back in the day. People are just spoiled brats. Your getting 8 shows for under $200. We all would have been ready to fork over 4X that amount (if you factor in inflation the past 40+ years) and been drooling all over ourselves for those recordings back then. Springsteen bootleg concerts people were paying over $100 each for and the Sound quality wasnt even close to those Carnegie recordings. Tough Crowd that probably wasnt into Audio until fairly recently

Disagree completely. That recording sounds just as good as the original Carnegie Hall set put out back in the day. People are just spoiled brats. Your getting 8 shows for under $200. We all would have been ready to fork over 4X that amount (if you factor in inflation the past 40+ years) and been drooling all over ourselves for those recordings back then. Springsteen bootleg concerts people were paying over $100 each for and the Sound quality wasnt even close to those Carnegie recordings. Tough Crowd that probably wasnt into Audio until fairly recently
Fair enough and “courses for horses,” as they say. I owned maybe 3 or 4 Chicago albums in vinyl back in the day and I own the Qaudio box so I’m a fan, though not what you’d call a completist. I never owned a copy of the original Carnegie Hall LP and, truth be told, I only ever owned one bootleg(Dylan’s “Great White Wonder,” as it was named back in the day). I played that one once and then gave it away. I am most sincerely happy for you and others who are able to get past the recording quality and enjoy the excellent music in the Chicago box.

Sounds a lot better to me than the Bootlegs I was buying back in the 70's. What do you want from a 50 year old recording??
These were mixed from multitracks. It's not like they're audience or even soundboard recordings. All they had to do was hire someone competent to mix them... But, of course, they stuck with ol' cloth ears Jessup. Predictable, sad, and a real missed opportunity to improve on a flawed original mix.

These were mixed from multitracks. It's not like they're audience or even soundboard recordings. All they had to do was hire someone competent to mix them... But, of course, they stuck with ol' cloth ears Jessup. Predictable, sad, and a real missed opportunity to improve on a flawed original mix.
Damn, folks don't sugar coat their feelings do they? I should go back and check the clip against my original lp. I am always a sucker for a great live performance in addition to the recording techniques involved in capturing them.

Jedi, I just went back and listened to a little bit of my old vinyl version of this. I would have to say that I prefer the sound of the original versus this new clip of "Free". The original mixes are definitely a bit "raw", but they sound more natural. The new version has a lot of "squash" on the original tracks, much more than necessary. There definitely seem to be some issues with the original tracks, especially the drums. Sounds like there might not have been a snare drum mike, OR, everything was bounced to stereo during the recording where they couldn't go back and turn it up. As someone who has done a fair amount of live mixing and recording, I would kill to be able to listen to the raw multis'. It would have been cool if they included a pic of a track sheet on this. In any case, the original
recording doesn't seem to be too messy to me, but the new mix of free does sound a bit flat.

To add to the previous reply, I think the mixes would sound better with the individual tracks less processed and just balanced a little better than the original mixes. I almost wonder if there were issues with uncalibrated noise reduction like the Yes/Progeny tapes had, that ultimately made the mixing a little more difficult?

There are several albums by various artists from '70 - '71 where noise reduction created problems.

My Carnegie showed up Friday. Opened it yesterday. Played the first two CD's through Polk S10's in my laundry room.

I have much more listening to do. So far, I agree that much of it seems compressed. Highs seem muffled.

I'll get a better feel for the mix/fidelity on the Mission towers on my main system. I also need to compare it to the 4 CD expanded.

There are several albums by various artists from '70 - '71 where noise reduction created problems.

My Carnegie showed up Friday. Opened it yesterday. Played the first two CD's through Polk S10's in my laundry room.

I have much more listening to do. So far, I agree that much of it seems compressed. Highs seem muffled.

I'll get a better feel for the mix/fidelity on the Mission towers on my main system. I also need to compare it to the 4 CD expanded.
I hope that the washer and dryer weren’t running. 🤔

Listening through main system CD 5. I like a lot about the fidelity, yet I don't. Huh? I'll say slightly more high end is there, especially during solos. Could be a slightly different mix than CD 1 & 2. More likely, it's a difference between my systems. Still a bit compressed. Highs still lacking, but slightly better.

Am I glad I bought this? Absolutely. Fidelity light years better than a 1971 boot, as Billion$Babies alluded to. It was recorded in 16 track for CBS. Could it have had better sound? Without a doubt! I do believe that n/r calibration/technology issues made this a mess to engineer.

Comparing to '05 4 CD expanded: That was remastered (probably from same mixdown tape as LP's), not remixed, except for the 8 bonus tracks on CD 4. Not sure if I'm comparing the same performances, but the '05 has a slightly more open sound. So, yes, the 16 CD is a missed opportunity and a step backwards sound wise.

OK, I've only listened to 5 CD's, so there's much more to discover and audition. Expected the fidelity to be about what it is, after being forwarned. I bought it for the music. This is one of my 10 favorite acts. There are several tunes on this set that I've never heard live or on a live recording. I've seen them 6 times live and own all the official live stuff. So, musically it's great, warts and all.

Been immersed in Chicago in the last week. 2 CD/DVD Japanese Singles Collection arrived a couple days before this. Watched/listened to it all.

A great addition to the collection of any Chicago fanatic! For casual fans, the original 4 LP's, or better yet, the 4 CD '05 expanded is my preference. If you don't already own it, the BD box is better sound quality, for all you "audiopiles."

I know a lot of people complain about it but I was never bothered by the original mix. Yeah it was wonky sounding but still great to hear the songs live.
Many other 70s live albums had bad sound too, take the stuff on YESSONGS recorded for the CTE tour (not the 2 Bruford tracks, those sound fine). Not great mix/recording but still a killer album. They also managed to make it right with the Seven from '72 box.

Jessup is a HACK and Loughnane is probably deaf as all fnck from his own trumpet let alone having the other horns blowing right next to him for 50+ years so having him assist an already inept engineer is bound to cause a crap storm. Look what they did to CTA 50th. They took an already great sounding record and turned it into a goddamn tragedy!!

These remixes make the original LP sound like a audiophile recording! The only redeeming value is that it is totally awesome to hear all the shows from this legendary run. I am a sucker for that kinda stuff ie: the UFO Strangers In The Night box.

Too bad they fixed some things too. JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!! Warts 'n all would have been better.

Yay!!! Chicago at Carnegie Hall Complete set was just delivered!

1631731448084.png 1631731385704.png 1631731413796.png

Wow, 16 CDs.... it'll take a while to get thru this one!

Back