Just announced: Chicago At Carnegie Hall!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicmemorabiliashoppellc

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
https://www.thisisdig.com/chicago-r...l=2021April7/5297989/6126539&etsubid=34083610WHAT’S THE HOOK?
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees Chicago became the first non-classical group to perform six nights in a row at Carnegie Hall 50 years ago. Between April 5 and 10, 1971, the band played eight shows at the celebrated venue (including two matinees) and recorded every one of them. In October of that year, performance highlights were featured on the band’s first-ever live album, Chicago at Carnegie Hall. That quadruple-LP reached #3 on the Billboard 200, was certified platinum, and is still the band’s best-selling live album.
To honor the 50th anniversary of Chicago’s historic concerts, the band will release all eight Carnegie Hall shows in their entirety for the first time in a new 16-CD deluxe boxed set.
Chicago founding member and trumpeter Lee Loughnane and engineer Tim Jessup spent nearly a year meticulously going through more than 40 concert tapes at Loughnane’s new studio in Arizona to remaster each concert. Their hard work paid off with eight fantastic-sounding shows.
Chicago At Carnegie Hall Complete is presented in a white folio that’s embossed with the group’s trademark logo. The set beautifully commemorates the event through memorabilia that includes replicas of the three posters that accompanied the original vinyl release and images of the original concert program, tickets, and other memorabilia from the historic run. The collection also comes with a 28-page booklet illustrated with photos from the concerts, plus new liner notes with contributions by Loughnane; archivist Jeff Magid, writer/producer David Wild and comedy icon/Chicago fanatic Jimmy Pardo.
When Chicago arrived in New York City in April 1971 to play eight shows at Carnegie Hall, the band was at the peak of its early experimental period and riding high on the success of the group’s third consecutive platinum album, Chicago III. For these historic shows, the band played a cross-section of hits from their first three studio albums, including “Beginnings,” “Questions 67 and 68,” “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?” and “25 or 6 to 4.” The set also includes the previously unheard first songs from the first show, “Someday (August 29, 1968).”
The performances showcase memorable contributions from every band member, including Terry Kath’s stellar guitar work, heartfelt vocals by Kath, Robert Lamm, and Peter Cetera, the vibrant horn work by Loughnane, James Pankow, and Walt Parazaider, as well as the jazz-influenced drumming of Danny Seraphine.
Chicago, known as the “rock band with horns,” is one of the longest-running and best-selling groups of all time. It’s the first American band to ever chart albums in Billboard’s Pop Top 40 in six consecutive decades, the highest charting American band in Billboard’s Hot 100 All-Time Top Artists, and the #4 band on Billboard’s All-Time Top Bands and Duos list. The group’s extensive accomplishments include: two Grammy Awards® and a Lifetime Achievement Award from The Recording Academy, multiple American Music Awards, 11 Number One singles, five consecutive Number One albums, and record sales in excess of 100,000,000, with 47 albums earning gold and platinum certification. Chicago was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2016, and Chicago’s first album, Chicago Transit Authority, was inducted into the GRAMMY® Hall Of Fame in 2014. In 2017, the Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted songwriters Robert Lamm (“25 or 6 to 4”, “Saturday In The Park”) and James Pankow (“Feelin' Stronger Every Day," "Make Me Smile").

order here....if anyone else sees any better Pre order prices....Please update
https://shop.thisisdig.com/uk/chicago-at-carnegie-hall-complete.html

Last edited:

I don't know that I need to hear every second of every set that was recorded that week, especially given how famously problematic the sound was. But if this remastering is a revelatory improvement over the last remastering, and if they plan to reissue the original commercial release, too, then I'm in.

Edit: No additional information--yet--from Joe Marchese at The Second Disc. (He does say, though, that it will be a Rhino.com exclusive.) But @Bob Romano is not the only commenter to note the involvement of Tim Jessup, who really screwed the pooch on last year's remaster of CTA. So...no obvious reason to be hopeful about the sound.

Last edited:
I am sure not reading good things about Mr Jessup's abilities. I have the Rhino remaster which has adequate sound. Can the SQ really be improved? From the original release date, there have been negative comments including band members about CH's sound for the band. Also, it appears there will be no digital release?

This is definitely of interest as I don't have a copy of Chicago at Carnegie Hall but I will not buy it until after hearing some reviews because I don't really trust Tim Jessup with anything Chicago after the CTA remix. If reviews are good I will probably buy it soon after release but if it is a repeat of the CTA remix I will either wait for a big discount or pass on it.

This is definitely of interest as I don't have a copy of Chicago at Carnegie Hall but I will not buy it until after hearing some reviews because I don't really trust Tim Jessup with anything Chicago after the CTA remix. If reviews are good I will probably buy it soon after release but if it is a repeat of the CTA remix I will either wait for a big discount or pass on it.
Ditto.

The preview track, not on the original, has sq that is significantly better (clearer at least) than the original album. That's a good thing.
But it does sound loud as heck, which is not good. I assume the new mix is from Tim Jessup, who has mixed the last few archive releases from the band, and poorly. His mix of CTA is a complete disaster that destroys the album (whose original mix already sounded great, unlike Chicago, which benefitted greatly from Steven Wilson's treatment). I'll reserve final judgment till I can hear more, but this does not bode well.

This is not going well. The Carnegie Hall release has been delayed 'till September 11. It was originally scheduled for this month. To help appease us buyers, from whom Rhino took our 200 clams (approx price with tax and shipping) some months ago, they posted an 8 song "listening party". I A/B'd samples, in quick succession, a couple of the newly mixed tracks with the old ( 3 CD version) and found the new sound to be much a major disappointment in comparison. In particular, the old version was so much more clean and present. Yes, we're talking different versions of the tracks from different nights - but the same recording gear was being used so I wouldn't expect such a difference. I will say it's not as bad as Chicago Six Decades Live - which had the worst sound in the history and was also engineered by Tim Jessup - but I much prefer the clarity of the old Carnegie release and am not sure what they think they're doing with the new one - i.e. are they trying to bring in more room ambience? Whatever their intention, its just mudding up the sound.

CRD 3004 is a Chicago Records release. I believe they used the same master as the US Columbia C3K 30865 3 CD. The Rhino expanded 4 CD is R2 7164.

Honestly, I've never a/b'ed copies of these. Bought the 4 LP box, 2 x 2 LP gatefold CRC issues (no box or book), C3K 30865 3 CD, and Rhino R2 7164 4 CD expanded.

I've preordered the uber-doober ultra sucker-bait box. Not expecting state of the art sound, even for '71.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the "early Taste" of the ultra box yet.

It must be the original issue, it's not Rhino and has cat. # CRD 3004.

Back