Just Sold === SATO MASAHIKO DEMA Kimio MIZUTANI Japan 1971 ORIG Spiritual Jazz Psych N.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
This Sony SQ LP just sold ………….

s-l1600.jpg

Condition: Used Mint:
Ended: Sep 16, 2019 , 7:12PM
Winning bid:
US $477.00
Approximately NZD746.77
[ 25 bids]
Shipping: $23.00 Standard International Shipping
Item location: Tokyo, Japan

I just played the YouTube version through my SQ decoder and it sounds like it decodes very discretely... (modulo the YT sound quality, of course).
Is there a more scientific way to check if audio files are SQ encoded?

OK, I now have a digital version of this album and it certainly is SQ encoded. Separates very nicely into a quite discrete mix via the VarioMatrix SQ decoder, it does take a while though to get things started in the rears channels. Overall, an interesting listen! :)

Okay, but...is it any good? (How does it compare to, say, Black Jazz releases of the same era, for example?)

If you ask me it is very good and very different from Black Jazz. The Black Jazz titles I know are closer to soul jazz, sometimes involve vocalists and sound much more mainstream. The music on this one is experimental, to describe it properly. For instance, there are parts where you just have delicate "pulses" from different instrument, then slowly over 15 minutes and a steady beat they grow into larger pieces of melodies and improvisations and eventually into an incoherent mess that ends abruptly. In terms of the musical content I would say it is much more ambitious and avant-garde than the Black Jazz titles.

Last edited:
If you ask me it is very good and very different from Black Jazz. The Black Jazz titles I know are closer to soul jazz, sometimes involve vocalists and sound much more mainstream. The music on this one is experimental, to describe it properly. For instance, there are parts where you just have delicate "pulses" from different instrument, then slowly over 15 minutes and a steady beat they grow into larger pieces of melodies and improvisations and eventually into an incoherent mess that ends abruptly. In terms of the musical content I would say it is much more ambitious and avant-garde than the Black Jazz titles.

That is a good description but I'll add that this is more for fans of Musique Concrète and outlandish Zappa-esque experiments. Not much melody if any in these tracks. It's a bunch of noodling and hectic percussive gibberish. Don't expect to tap your foot to this stuff. It's definitely not for everyone.

Got it; thanks. I was getting my terminology mixed up: I thought the term "spiritual jazz" had come up somewhere upthread and I was confusing that with soul jazz. But this indeed sounds more like late Coltrane/Albert Ayler/Alice Coltrane/Pharoah Sanders (and forward)...

Back