JVC Japan Q8 Tapes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I came across this auction on eBay for a Q8 from JVC Japan called 'Golden Western Movie Themes" by the Jack DeMello Grand Orchestra. The back of the tape box clearly shows the catalog number (NQW-7012), and I was curious what other tapes were in this series so I had a look at Mark Anderson's quad discography and there are only a few listed. Given that this tape is 7012, and the others listed in the quad discography are all numbered NQW-70xx I think it's safe to assume that these tapes are numbered sequentially and there are at least 12 in the series, if not more.

It's pretty unlikely, but seeing as JVC Japan also did the CD4W series of CD4 LP's that included the excellent Motown and AVCO quad mixes I'm more than slightly curious if this series of tapes might include them, but even if not, which other artists are included in this series.

NQW-7006 - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - 'Jazz Messengers '70'
NQW-7007 - Perez Prado 'Mambo Jambo' (found at audiovintage.fr)
NQW-7008 - The Film Studio Orchestra - 'The World Of Michel Legrand'
NQW-7011 - The Film Studio Orchestra - 'Emmanuelle, Earthquake and Other Screen Themes'
NQW-7012 - The Jack DeMello Grand Orchestra - 'Golden Western Movie Themes' (found at eBay)

These seem to follow the catalog numbering of the JVC CD4W CD-4 LP series, ie tape NQW-7006 is the same as LP CD4W-7006. If this holds true, this is what the other titles would be:

CD4W-7001 - Nini Rosso - 'The Jewels of the Madonna'
CD4W-7002 - Xavier Cugat - 'My Shawl'
CD4W-7003 - The Film Studio Orchestra - 'The World Of Francis Lai'
CD4W-7004 - The Jack DeMello Grand Orchestra - 'Days Of Youth and Cherry Blossoms'
CD4W-7005 - Paul Yoder & His Brass Orchestra - 'Marches of the World'

CD4W-7009 - Paul Yoder & His Brass Orchestra - 'Japanese Marches'
CD4W-7010 - The Film Studio Orchestra - 'Godfather - Sounds of Cine Action

Does anyone know anything more about this series of tapes and how much further it extends beyond tape 12? I can't remember seeing more than 2 or 3 of these tapes in all my years of trawling eBay, not that I've particularly been looking for them!

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I have 4 JVC Q8, pay attention that there were at least THREE series:
NQW, if it is a true parallel of the CD4W series, seems to concern recording which originated outside of Japan (have 7003 and 7008)
NQH is a different series, probably parallel to the CD4B series, which seems to be on recording originated in Japan: i have "It's love time -Golden screen themes" by "Victor Golden Strings" and its NQH-1010.

Demo tapes have a special series, i have DT-903.

Maybe NQH = Nippon Quad Home, NQW = Nippon Quad World, DT = Demo Tape?

Edit: add NQH-1011 for The Carmets - Moog Electric Sound

I can't comment on the JVC tapes as I have seen them but own none, I have kept tabs on the "Tanquery" Q8 tapes. The Anderson Discography lists only a few, but I've seen several more pop up on eBay over the years.

Tanquery TQ 5003 Solid Gold Rock Volume 2
Tanquery TQ 5007 Solid Soul Volume 1
Tanquery TQ 5010 Soundtrack Godspell
Tanquery TQ 5012 Michel Legrand The Music of Michel Legrand
Tanquery TQ 5026 Unknown Artist Swing Gently with Strauss
Tanquery TQ 5035 Quad Sampler Volume 3
Tanquery TQ 5043 Rhapsody for Young Lovers Volume 2

I think these too were a series of tapes, but they appear so few and far between it's hard to say. However, the fact that some are labelled Volume 1, Volume 2, etc leads me to believe they were a series.

I'm finding some parallels between the LP and Q8 issues by JVC, but it's not across the board. In the NQW series, catalog ID's for 7004, 7006, and 7008 match up to their CD4W counterparts; however NQW-1011 matches to CD4W-7100, and NQW-7012 matches to CD4W-7083.

On the NQH side, it's even freakier:
Hachidai Nakamura/The April Fool Q8: NQH-1003 LP: CD4B-5003
Susumu Arima/The Dock of the Bay Q8: NQH-1006 LP: CD4B-5002
Yasunobu Matsuura/Harlem Nocturne Q8: NQH-1007 LP: CD4B-5014
The Carmets/Moog Electric Sounds Q8: NQH-1011 LP: CD4B-5045
Blue Seas Orchestra/Poetry of the Seas Q8: NQH-1012 LP: CD4M-7001

My archive also lists NQH-1010 "It's Love Time - Golden Screen Themes" (artist unknown) on Q8, but I haven't found the LP equivalent yet. Maybe they planned it all this way just to drive us crazy decades later. If so, it worked!

Oops - just saw that you listed the artist for NQH-1010 above. My bad - and thanks!

I also have listings for three JVC demo Q8's: DT 902, DT 903, and DT 908.

I'm finding some parallels between the LP and Q8 issues by JVC, but it's not across the board. In the NQW series, catalog ID's for 7004, 7006, and 7008 match up to their CD4W counterparts; however NQW-1011 matches to CD4W-7100, and NQW-7012 matches to CD4W-7083.

On the NQH side, it's even freakier:
Hachidai Nakamura/The April Fool Q8: NQH-1003 LP: CD4B-5003
Susumu Arima/The Dock of the Bay Q8: NQH-1006 LP: CD4B-5002
Yasunobu Matsuura/Harlem Nocturne Q8: NQH-1007 LP: CD4B-5014
The Carmets/Moog Electric Sounds Q8: NQH-1011 LP: CD4B-5045
Blue Seas Orchestra/Poetry of the Seas Q8: NQH-1012 LP: CD4M-7001

My archive also lists NQH-1010 "It's Love Time - Golden Screen Themes" (artist unknown) on Q8, but I haven't found the LP equivalent yet. Maybe they planned it all this way just to drive us crazy decades later. If so, it worked!

Intresting. Seems that CD4 and Q8 release timeframes were not tied.

So in searching for all the King QR stuff that I've been posting about, I sort of stumbled on to a ton of info about JVC's Japanese quad tape activity, including more info about the NQW, QH and NQH series of quad 8 track tapes.

I also came across a bunch of info about RCA's quad tape output, including a bunch of previously unknown (I believe) classical QRs, and a few QR equivalents of the RCA CD4B CD-4 series of Japanese domestic music releases.

Am I correct in thinking that JVC and RCA are basically the same company, and that RCA owned JVC (or vice versa?) - I was going to post the info here, but this thread is devoted to JVC, and there's RCA Japan quad8 tape info elsewhere...

So I was thinking that maybe I should start a new RCA/JVC Japan tape output 'master thread' so all the info is collated in one place...can someone confirm that the two companies are basically the same, and if this is a good idea or not?

IIRC, JVC - Japan Victor Company - is(was?) the company that got license for RCA-recorded stuff worldwide. Not sure about the specific owner, but as far as a catalog, these are sister companies.
Maybe, for clarity's sake, would be better to have separate pages for JVC and RCA stuff - but anyway, the important thing is the informations, so wherever these are, are really welcomed.
Just to have a sneak preview, any information found about tape releases of the CD4W series? I always supposed "none done", but been proved wrong would make me really happy.... :SG

Back