HiRez Poll Kane - SO GLAD YOU MADE IT [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Kane - SO GLAD YOU MADE IT

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD release. (n):phones(y)

After just one listen through, I can say the surround mix on this is exceptional and the album itself is fantastic.

I firmly believe if this band had been promoted outside of their native Netherlands they would have been huge internationally.. and if more of a fuss had been made of this SACD it would rank very high in the Hi-Rez Poll league tables here at QQ.

Posting disc art pix tomorrow. Vote to follow after a few more listens.

I've got a sneaking suspicion its going to be high!

attachment.php

attachment.php

just one thing to beware...

I fear this is one of those SACDs that has a very fragile hub!

so if you do buy it (and it hasn't already suffered the dreaded hub crack!) you need to depress the jewel case disc holder hard, remove the SACD and then probably keep the disc in a separate wallet in future.

mine has already cracked (very badly in 3 places from the centre hub) and i bought it new & sealed just last week and have only played it twice...!

Quite enjoying this too....... Great pop/rock.

Arghhh - Mine is "Fractured" also!!!!! :( Not as bad as my Avalon disc though.....

Quite enjoying this too....... Great pop/rock.

Arghhh - Mine is "Fractured" also!!!!! :( Not as bad as my Avalon disc though.....

Oh NO! :(

was the hub on your disc cracked from new too or did you get it used?

my Avalon is still intact thank goodness.. but I do have some others that are now cracking, it's a shame it's ordinarily my more prized SACDs that are cracking up, like T-Rex's "Electric Warrior" :(

what's the general consensus on these cracked discs?

will they just keep on cracking open til they're unplayable?

is there a risk a cracked disc could futz up your machine?

why is there such a failure rate for these hybrid SACDs?

I don't think I have a single DVD-A (in 120+) with hub cracks but I must have at least half a dozen cracked SACDs now (in 150+).

Couple of observations.. I don't own one Sony SACD that has cracks (over 40 of the single layer multichannel ones)..
and the worst offenders for cracks are Universal.

Oh NO! :(

was the hub on your disc cracked from new too or did you get it used?

my Avalon is still intact thank goodness.. but I do have some others that are now cracking, it's a shame it's ordinarily my more prized SACDs that are cracking up, like T-Rex's "Electric Warrior" :(

what's the general consensus on these cracked discs?

will they just keep on cracking open til they're unplayable?

is there a risk a cracked disc could futz up your machine?

why is there such a failure rate for these hybrid SACDs?

I don't think I have a single DVD-A (in 120+) with hub cracks but I must have at least half a dozen cracked SACDs now (in 150+).

Couple of observations.. I don't own one Sony SACD that has cracks (over 40 of the single layer multichannel ones)..
and the worst offenders for cracks are Universal.

Yes - it was new/sealed!!!

Wasn't there a specific factory that had the cracking issue - Somewhere in Europe???

I really like track 5 (Let It Be) with the acoustic guitar... nice

Yes - it was new/sealed!!!

Wasn't there a specific factory that had the cracking issue - Somewhere in Europe???

ah! good point!

wracking my brains, i think the Crest plant in the States goofed up on the DSOTM SACD back in '03 and those were prone to cracking..

and i vaguely recall a problem at some point with Sonopress/Bertelsmann, maybe they had a replication plant in Europe, I want to say Germany but I'm not sure!?

I don't think there were ever issues with the Sony DADC facility in Austria, or have been (or continue to be!) any problems with Japanese Sony pressed SACDs.

reminds me of the major issues in the 80's & 90's with Polydor UK and Nimbus redbook CDs (I have a fair few of those, like the Elton DJMs, the Who albums, some Clapton, Bee Gees.. as they are usually go-to masterings) which are said to be prone to rot and "bronzing" but I have yet to encounter it in any - and I must have 50+ Nimbus & UK Polydor CDs.

so maybe as with all these things it's bad batches/luck of the draw thing.. and both you & me were unlucky on this one?!?

did you get your Kane SACD at Amazon UK too, LK?

I firmly believe if this band had been promoted outside of their native Netherlands they would have been huge internationally.. and if more of a fuss had been made of this SACD it would rank very high in the Hi-Rez Poll league tables here at QQ.
This band was quite big at the time in the Netherlands, this was their second album. The band seriously tried to "conquer" Germany and the UK, but in Germany they were OK but never big and the UK apparently wasn't waiting on another rock band from abroad.
They even re-recorded the best tracks from their first two albums to make an even stronger album to break through outside of the Netherlands but there was just too much competition. They also did a nice U2 tribute once.

That was the 2nd single from this album, they called this their "Blues in C" (like an easy number you would play at a campfire or jam session). First single was the title track but the really big one was (you might have guessed) Rain Down On Me, still the encore on any show since.

I should maybe have bought this when it was in the shops over here, but at that time I had other things in my life than surround set-up or SACD. I think, Kane never really topped this album.

This band was quite big at the time in the Netherlands, this was their second album. The band seriously tried to "conquer" Germany and the UK, but in Germany they were OK but never big and the UK apparently wasn't waiting on another rock band from abroad.
They even re-recorded the best tracks from their first two albums to make an even stronger album to break through outside of the Netherlands but there was just too much competition. They also did a nice U2 tribute once.

That was the 2nd single from this album, they called this their "Blues in C" (like an easy number you would play at a campfire or jam session). First single was the title track but the really big one was (you might have guessed) Rain Down On Me, still the encore on any show since.

I should maybe have bought this when it was in the shops over here, but at that time I had other things in my life than surround set-up or SACD. I think, Kane never really topped this album.

well.. maybe now's the time to get this Kane SACD, now that surround and SACD are more in your life..!? ;) ;)

believe me you won't regret it, it's brilliant.

Hey guys, I gave this a spin and it's funny, with all the praise this is getting, it left me completely cold. The mix is ok, I guess. Nothing too special, but works well enough. The music, to my mind, is pretty boring and unappealing. Guess it's a taste thing! Don't let me deter from trying it yourself. I'm giving it a 5.

wracking my brains, i think the Crest plant in the States goofed up on the DSOTM SACD back in '03 and those were prone to cracking..
We called them Crest Crackers back in the day. They made a bunch of the Audio Fidelity SACDs there too.

A Ronald Prent mix, do I need to say more?
Never heard of this band before, but this album can be a good substitute for the lack of U2 in surround. Kane plays modern rock with a healthy dose of electronic sounds thrown in and have a frontman with quite a charismatic voice (I'm hearing a touch of Michael Hutchence or even Jeff Martin of The Tea Party there). The songwriting is thoroughly solid, although I'm not a sucker for so many slow songs (about a good half of the album!) and there's also a good deal of intros that seem simply too lengthy for repeated listening. There are songs that somehow stand out sonically (Mother, Hold On To The World, Alone) or shine thanks to the creative, "no presets" mix (Rain Down On Me, the opening title track).
An easy 8.

A Ronald Prent mix, do I need to say more?
Never heard of this band before, but this album can be a good substitute for the lack of U2 in surround. Kane plays modern rock with a healthy dose of electronic sounds thrown in and have a frontman with quite a charismatic voice (I'm hearing a touch of Michael Hutchence or even Jeff Martin of The Tea Party there). The songwriting is thoroughly solid, although I'm not a sucker for so many slow songs (about a good half of the album!) and there's also a good deal of intros that seem simply too lengthy for repeated listening. There are songs that somehow stand out sonically (Mother, Hold On To The World, Alone) or shine thanks to the creative, "no presets" mix (Rain Down On Me, the opening title track).
An easy 8.
Although this release deserves to be evaluated on its own merits, you did a good job of describing who it was I was reminded of while listening to it. I really enjoyed this release.

Back