Kansas in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitztorte

Hello QQ. Please move this post if in the wrong area. I have been searching for any Kansas in any surround format. Does anything exist? I would think they would sound amazing if done right. Thanks!

I am not aware of any Kansas in surround......and yes, their music screams for discreet surround. That said, I do own a DVD-Video of a live concert that sounds very good. Discreet? Nah, but fidelity is pretty damn good IMO. It is 5.1, but more typical live concert type surround if you know what I mean. I enjoy it.

Device Voice Drum is the name.

Unfortunately there is this:
4163X6BS79L.jpg

I think just one track ever got produced for that Guitar Hero game. (You know the one.) Which means 4 separated stems were made quickly and crudely. Someone probably has done a homemade surround mix from these. These stems are SO stepped on that the results would be limited no matter who tried to mix from such a source.

The original stereo mixes, while well done in many ways and with attention to detail for the music, are pretty heavily stepped on dynamically. They sound instantly like FM radio! I haven't ever seen any actual HD releases in recent times. The CD's are all either the anemic sounding early examples or volume war hash. The two Columbia half speed mastered vinyl editions sound like someone made a mistake somewhere... More clarity in the high end but still dynamically stepped on and oddly light in low frequencies. Better than any of the CD copies but that isn't saying much.

These all just scream for even decent stereo masters in HD. A proper surround mix by someone like Steve Wilson would be wonderful. Again, there IS a lot of nuance and attention to detail in the stereo mixes (as well as can be heard from the available copies), so just some cookie cutter surround mix wouldn't make the cut here.

Back