• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Kansas "The Absence of Presence" CD+5.1 Blu-Ray coming 6/26/2020

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

haikubass

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Looks like I can smell an upcoming surround release from a mile awayo_O Well, all I got for you at this point is an official press release and no 5.1 mixer's name - let's hope this one turns out the way Styx's or KWS's recent blu-ray surround offerings did, fingers crossed!
“The Absence of Presence” will be released June 26, 2020, on Inside Out Music and is distributed by The Orchard. The album will be available on CD, Double LP 180 Gram Vinyl, Limited Edition Deluxe CD + 5.1 Blu-Ray Artbook, and digitally on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and all other streaming services. Pre-order opportunities will start on April 17 at KansasBand.com and Amazon.com.
Also, Kansas gave fans a sneak preview of what they can expect to hear on the album with this sampler video: KANSAS - The Absence Of Presence (Trailer)

Kansas.jpg

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I've always liked Kansas, so this will be a must.

It made me think 'when did I first hear Kansas?', and I reckon it was at somebodies house circa late '75 early '76 on the way to see Man play at the Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone!

Jim the Oldbie

800 Club - QQ All-Star
Back in the day, one of my buddies had a big brother with a HUGE record collection, and a really nice stereo. He was pretty cool about us hanging out there, and always had new music to listen to. I still remember hearing "Journey From Mariabronn" for the first time there, jaw hanging open, thinking holy shit who the hell are these guys?!

MCDave

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Kansas has always been my favorite of all time, but mostly up to and including POKR with the original lineup. Today, they sound more like Dream Theater than Kansas to me. Here's hoping that this leads to the early catalog being done in 5.1!

Interesting there are only 2 left of the original 6 members.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Kansas has always been my favorite of all time, but mostly up to and including POKR with the original lineup. Today, they sound more like Dream Theater than Kansas to me. Here's hoping that this leads to the early catalog being done in 5.1!

I saw them live in a small theater last fall, and they were stunning.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

We can hope, who knows, and if they do its a definite Yes to a purchase!

MCDave

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I saw them in a sold-out Madison Square Garden in 81 (with .38 Special opening). Then I saw the modified lineup in 99 in a park in Chicago near the ferris wheel, and they were really really good. Walsh still did his trademark keyboard hand stand then. The last time I saw them was at a small outdoor venue in Denver. Not so good. Walsh could barely croak out his lines an octave lower than usual, Williams was having continual amp problems, and the band just wasn't on the same page that day.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

haikubass

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
As far as I know, No. :(

I've got a vague memory of a Quad test pressing mentioned somewhere on QQ, but that could just be wishful thinking and/or old age!
Yes, there was a couple of supposed SQ copies of "Song for America" on eBay:
Also, there's this dedicated thread: