Kansas "The Absence of Presence" CD+5.1 Blu-Ray coming 6/26/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what most of these so~called surround engineers fail to fully grasp...

What some so-called surround experts on the internet fail to fully grasp is that we don't know who ultimately determines the direction of the surround mix. Why blast the engineer when he may been asked by the band--his client--to deliver a more front-centric mix? It's certainly not my preference, but there are people who prefer more conservative surround mixes.

What some so-called surround experts on the internet fail to fully grasp is that we don't know who ultimately determines the direction of the surround mix. Why blast the engineer when he may been asked by the band--his client--to deliver a more front-centric mix? It's certainly not my preference, but there are people who prefer more conservative surround mixes.

Good for you, Jonathan. Then you get what you deserve.

I already took that 'point' under consideration but why order a polite surround mix in the first place? For the 'prestige' of it!'

I already took that 'point' under consideration but why order a polite surround mix in the first place? For the 'prestige' of it!'

I'm just as disappointed in this 5.1 mix as you are, but it seems wrong to me to pin all the blame on the engineer. There's lot of moving parts behind these releases and we can never really know for sure who dictates the most control over the surround aspect.

I'm just as disappointed in this 5.1 mix as you are, but it seems wrong to me to pin all the blame on the engineer. There's lot of moving parts behind these releases and we can never really know for sure who dictates the most control over the surround aspect.

I've yet to receive my copy but I have an inkling I will likewise be disappointed by the polite surround remix. What I will never fully comprehend ..... since MOST of these BD~A discs [and even DVD~Vs] contain a remastered/remixed stereo track, why oh why do either these artists and/or remix engineers insist on basically mimicking those stereo tracks with an unimaginatively boring 5.1 remix? Most especially a brand new album with all the multitracks intact!

Have they NEVER heard a Steve Wilson, Bob Clearmountain or Elliot Scheiner remix? Apparently NOT!

Does anybody think we'll ever get a surround mix of R. Wakemann's -The Red Planet? Probably the perfect album for one, if done right, as usual.

I know it's a tribute band now (down to rhythm gtr and drums) and not really my thing. I expected full on terrible but I thought the last track was surprisingly good! Best mix on the album hands down too. A different engineer/studio/session maybe? The surround comes alive on the last track. There isn't a problem with the rest and the rears are absolutely not too low by mistake. The rest of the album just has simpler mixes and more ambient style surround. It's still discrete. You notice a few quad sounding keyboard patches that swell to the rear and such. It's fully discrete but it sure sounds more like an upmix that didn't work out so well. In that it's more an ambient effect and random sounding. The mostly stereo mix in the front is super low budget sounding and dynamically crushed. Like someone was aiming for the volume war CD sound. Except the last track. It still has some of that aesthetic but not as bad. And it's an actual realized surround mix. Go straight to the last track if you might be on the fence or tire of faux tribute fare easily. The rest is like classic Kansas albums sliced and diced and fed into AI but nothing nearly as interesting came out.

This tribute business of hiring sound alikes and writing in the similar style...
It would be the worst thing I ever heard if I didn't know any better. It sure ain't no side 2 of Leftoverture though! The lo-fi production with mostly crushed stereo and only ambient style surround for most of it stands out more. Really hammers home the cheapness. I'm kind of reading it the riot act like I'm reviewing an audiophile surround sound mix. It still sounds "pro" overall though. Not just straight messed up like some of the truly bad ones that come along.

You already know it's a tribute facsimile. Check out the last track!

..I expected full on terrible but I thought the last track was surprisingly good! Best mix on the album hands down too. A different engineer/studio/session maybe? The surround comes alive on the last track. There isn't a problem with the rest and the rears are absolutely not too low by mistake. The rest of the album just has simpler mixes and more ambient style surround. It's still discrete...

Thanks for summing this up so eloquently, it's what I hear...

...Really hammers home the cheapness...

In the USA for $12 can't complain, sorry for international folks who must buy an expensive deluxe edition to hear it.

I have only had one listen so far and It was not a critical listen by myself but I was really puzzled as well that the first 8 song's not much surround stuff happening and then the last song did stand out as you described(jimfisheye) that it has way more stuff going on drum fills to the rears etc.

A 5.1. of Leftoverture if done properly would be so amazing as that is the real Kansas at their peak.

peter

I know it's a tribute band now (down to rhythm gtr and drums) and not really my thing. I expected full on terrible but I thought the last track was surprisingly good! Best mix on the album hands down too. A different engineer/studio/session maybe? The surround comes alive on the last track. There isn't a problem with the rest and the rears are absolutely not too low by mistake. The rest of the album just has simpler mixes and more ambient style surround. It's still discrete. You notice a few quad sounding keyboard patches that swell to the rear and such. It's fully discrete but it sure sounds more like an upmix that didn't work out so well. In that it's more an ambient effect and random sounding. The mostly stereo mix in the front is super low budget sounding and dynamically crushed. Like someone was aiming for the volume war CD sound. Except the last track. It still has some of that aesthetic but not as bad. And it's an actual realized surround mix. Go straight to the last track if you might be on the fence or tire of faux tribute fare easily. The rest is like classic Kansas albums sliced and diced and fed into AI but nothing nearly as interesting came out.

This tribute business of hiring sound alikes and writing in the similar style...
It would be the worst thing I ever heard if I didn't know any better. It sure ain't no side 2 of Leftoverture though! The lo-fi production with mostly crushed stereo and only ambient style surround for most of it stands out more. Really hammers home the cheapness. I'm kind of reading it the riot act like I'm reviewing an audiophile surround sound mix. It still sounds "pro" overall though. Not just straight messed up like some of the truly bad ones that come along.

You already know it's a tribute facsimile. Check out the last track!
Why O why only the last track, boggles the little ol' puppy brains 🐶🌪🧠 -sounds like it wont be getting a Cowboy Hat!

Why O why only the last track...
It isn't though. The last track is the only one that has the aggressive floor tom panning, but Propulsion 1 is quite active too. Far more than the cymbals, keys and echoes approach taken on all other tracks (which is still more interesting than stereo).

Just for grins I stopped into a local WalMart. I rarely enter this place as it's usually a nightmare with regard to parking lot, traffic, and lots of people in line and all.

Anyway, I figured no one out here in Eastern CT would be looking for a new Kansas CD+BluRay package so I figured I'd grab what they had. Holy Crap! Not only did they not have it, they no longer even had a CD section! There was an end cap with "new releases" (of which the Kansas was not one) and that was it. I looked and looked and saw no CD section at all. There was a small section of LPs, but no CDs. In fact, there were more LPs than CDs in the store!! How about that.

Their DVD/BluRay section was tiny. One small short aisle and that was that. This store used to have a really large CD and DVD/BluRay section.

I am telling you now (with Peace and Love) that this whole physical media trip is ending soon. Very soon.

Man, I have definitely been in the head space where I couldn't enjoy certain releases.

This isn't one of them.

Good singing, good playing, interesting writing. Unimaginative (except for two tracks), but competent mix.

Could be better, but works for me!
Yeah ya know, points for keeping the progressive flag flying!
I DO prefer unimaginative progressive music to an awful lot of other things!

Their last album had no redeeming value at all for me but this one has one track. Again, not the worst thing! I've got to double down though and say the mixes for the rest of the tracks are just as unimaginative as the music. I think it just follows the paint by numbers tribute vibe (and budget). I think we got lucky and a bit of genuinely inspired music and playing snuck its way onto the end of the album. Woke the mix engineer up too!

Holy Crap! Not only did they not have it, they no longer even had a CD section! There was an end cap with "new releases" (of which the Kansas was not one) and that was it. I looked and looked and saw no CD section at all. There was a small section of LPs, but no CDs. In fact, there were more LPs than CDs in the store!! How about that.

Their DVD/BluRay section was tiny. One small short aisle and that was that. This store used to have a really large CD and DVD/BluRay section.

I am telling you now (with Peace and Love) that this whole physical media trip is ending soon. Very soon.

I'll have to check my local store. Hard to believe isn't it.

Yeah ya know, points for keeping the progressive flag flying!
I DO prefer unimaginative progressive music to an awful lot of other things!

Their last album had no redeeming value at all for me but this one has one track. Again, not the worst thing! I've got to double down though and say the mixes for the rest of the tracks are just as unimaginative as the music. I think it just follows the paint by numbers tribute vibe (and budget). I think we got lucky and a bit of genuinely inspired music and playing snuck its way onto the end of the album. Woke the mix engineer up too!
That's so awesome for you to share your opinion about music!
Funny how I really like every track and love a few. I wonder if it's because I have ZERO nostalgia for classic Kansas! Or maybe I like low-budget tribute music!!!

That's so awesome for you to share your opinion about music!
Funny how I really like every track and love a few. I wonder if it's because I have ZERO nostalgia for classic Kansas! Or maybe I like low-budget tribute music!!!
Sorry, it's just my stinky opinion. :p
I DO have a lot of love for classic Kansas. Busted!
I remember my uncle jamming side 2 of Leftoverture at extreme volume when it was new and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard. I would have been around 9 years old. So, particular nostalgia here!

OK, so the Mrs. is out with some errands, and I'm about to retire to my couch with a bag o' tater chips and sody pop, and listen to this thing and do a little review later; catch ya'll on the other side :)
I was about to do the same (except with some weed and ale), but that pesky Axe Victim jumped into my Oppo instead. Damn you, Bill Nelson!

Sorry, it's just my stinky opinion. :p
I DO have a lot of love for classic Kansas. Busted!
I remember my uncle jamming side 2 of Leftoverture at extreme volume when it was new and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard. I would have been around 9 years old. So, particular nostalgia here!
No worries. Just bustin' your balls a little. When you don't like something, you REALLY let us know. :LOL:

Back