Kansas "The Absence of Presence" CD+5.1 Blu-Ray coming 6/26/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received my artbook. And it just looks great!!
You'll get the song lyrics, some nice comentary of each bandmember and some great band pictures.
And ofcourse the Blu-ray!!
How does it sound? I can't tell You yet, but I will soon.
Here are some quick snapshots of the artbook.
kansas1.jpg

kansas3.jpg

kansas2.jpg

:cry: Looks like I'm in limbo...

Dear Eric Kalet,

Thank you for ordering Kansas - The Absence Of Presence Ltd. Deluxe CD + Blu-Ray Artbook from the Century Media Official Store.

We would like to inform you that there has been a delay in the supply chain for this particular item, and it will not ship from our warehouse this week. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay and appreciate your understanding. You will receive a confirmation email as soon as we are able to ship your order.

We would also like to remind you that you will still receive an email on release date tomorrow with access to the digital download of the album.

Regards,
The Century Media Family
:cry:

the 5.1 on this had better be good! 😂
£40.26 (artbook ltd ed'n via Amazon UK) would get me 3 Vocalion Quad gems with shipping and change... when will i ever learn! 😉

ImportCD just shipped out my copy, thankfully.

Adam, in 100 years that 'artbook' will be 'dust in the wind' whilst those D~V golden hued Quad Gems would've remained sparkling diamonds...a girl's BFF!

Well, it's been 24 Hours since I reveived the package and I was able to listen twice to the Blu-ray sofar.
And am I happy? Yes, I'm very happy with this set.
First ofcourse the music itself. This is Kansas as I like to hear Kansas. Alive and Kicking with some great songs.
Even with some new members, they know how to capture the typical Kansas sound and bring back old memories.
What a pity this band had to cancel their European shows this year for the second time in a row, so I have wait another year to see this great band in action.
The Blu-ray itself is just audio with the album in 3 formats. No Extra's.
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, 96/24 5.1 LPCM and 96/24 Stereo LPCM is what You get.
Sofar I only tried the HD-Master version and I must say it does sound very good but personally I think the mix is itself a bit conservative.
Don't get me wrong, the rears are certainly used all the time, but with the exception of some moments, most of the time I have feeling the rears are just used to bring more depth in the 'stereo' mix.
With a 7-piece band like Kansas, there's a lot going on musically, so why not give the band a bit more space.
But maybe that's just me. I just do like agressive surround mixes.
Overall, I'm very satisfied and I think it's time to go for another spin :SB

Last edited:
Well, it's been 24 Hours since I reveived the package and I was able to listen twice to the Blu-ray sofar.
And am I happy? Yes, I'm very happy with this set.
First ofcourse the music itself. This is Kansas as I like to hear Kansas. Alive and Kicking with some great songs.
Even with some new members, they know how to capture the typical Kansas sound and bring back old memories.
What a pity this band had to cancel their European shows this year for the second time in a row, so I have wait another year to see this great band in action.
The Blu-ray itself is just audio with the album in 3 formats. No Extra's.
DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, 96/24 5.1 LPCM and 96/24 Stereo LPCM is what You get.
Sofar I only tried the HD-Master version and I must say it does sound very good but personally I think the mix is itself a bit conservative.
Don't get me wrong, the rears are certainly used all the time, but with the exception of some moments, most of the time I have feeling the rears are just used to bring more depth in the 'stereo' mix.
With a 7-piece band like Kansas, there's a lot going on musically, so why not give the band a bit more space.
But maybe that's just me. I just do like agressive surround mixes.
Overall, I'm very satisfied and I think it's time to go for another spin :SB

Agreed. I received mine and listened to it yesterday as well.

Rears are mostly ambience. The drums do get back there once in a while but IMHO a missed opportunity for some nice instrument separation. There should be a rule that only Bob Clearmountain, Steven Wilson and Giles Martin can do surround mixes :)

As for the music, really liked it at first listen. I liked it better than their last one. The great Kerry Livgren hooks may not be there, but it certainly sounds like Kansas. Some nice heavy guitar work as well! This should grow on me the more I listen.

Last edited:
I definitely ordered a Blu-ray; unless Amazon screwed up again and is hoodwinking me.
I did order very early on. If they send me a CD, I’ll be bitching hard at them to get it the fuck right!
Looks like that’s a USA only release can’t find anyone in Europe selling it, only way to get the Blu-ray here as far as I can see is in the deluxe box set. Need to see some better reviews before going down that route.

Back