Katatonia “Night is the New Day” box set with 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say, been waiting YEARS for a 5.1 of NITND and after finally having it in my hands, I haven't been this disappointed by a 5.1 mix since opeth's ghost reveries or the first great cold distance 5.1 mix. Barely any seperation, super rough sound quality, the vocals are tracked in every channel, it just doesn't work for me. Hopefully others will enjoy it but I'm gonna hold out for a new 5.1 mix.

Gotta say, been waiting YEARS for a 5.1 of NITND and after finally having it in my hands, I haven't been this disappointed by a 5.1 mix since opeth's ghost reveries or the first great cold distance 5.1 mix. Barely any seperation, super rough sound quality, the vocals are tracked in every channel, it just doesn't work for me. Hopefully others will enjoy it but I'm gonna hold out for a new 5.1 mix.
Dang. What happened here? This is a new Bruce S. mix? I thought his mixes were headed in the right direction. TPT, his solo album and the GCD re-remix have all been pretty good to excellent.

Dang. What happened here? This is a new Bruce S. mix? I thought his mixes were headed in the right direction. TPT, his solo album and the GCD re-remix have all been pretty good to excellent.

Yeah man I thought so too. I understand why he did it this way and I respect him for it. I just disa2with the execution. It's pretty simple if you ask me
Guitars, bass, drums, some keys in the front. Vox, a little bass and some residual sounds in the middle, keys and harmonies in the back with some minor guitar work. Inheritance came out great though.

I'm assuming you're familiar with both of BS's mixes for The Fall of Hearts and The Great Cold Distance? And your assessment is that the NITND mix is lacking compared to those two?

I haven't purchased NITND yet. For some reason, I held off, although I love the album, and Bruce Soord is usually a solid indicator for a quality mix. I'm sitting here listening to the wonderful mix he did for The Optimist, and I'm just really shocked that he could have screwed up NITND.

Also no clean guitar lead after the final chorus of forsaker?? Odd.

Seems like there were a couple guitar lines missing from his mix for TFOH, also.

I'm assuming you're familiar with both of BS's mixes for The Fall of Hearts and The Great Cold Distance? And your assessment is that the NITND mix is lacking compared to those two?

I haven't purchased NITND yet. For some reason, I held off, although I love the album, and Bruce Soord is usually a solid indicator for a quality mix. I'm sitting here listening to the wonderful mix he did for The Optimist, and I'm just really shocked that he could have screwed up NITND.

Seems like there were a couple guitar lines missing from his mix for TFOH, also.

Whereas I don't believe he screwed it up, he merely changed the way he does his 5.1 mixes and i found this new mix sorely lacking. And yes his Optimist mix is amazing. And yes I have all of the older Katatonia box sets.

Whereas I don't believe he screwed it up, he merely changed the way he does his 5.1 mixes and i found this new mix sorely lacking. And yes his Optimist mix is amazing. And yes I have all of the older Katatonia box sets.

How does the LOSSLESS 96/24 Stereo Remix compare to the DTS 5.1 tracks?

Both of them are poor IMO.

So, uh... I think this mix is really fucking good.

I'm really confused by Syntheticbreed's comments. Prominent instrument separation, immersive, dynamic, and sounds great cranked up. Lead vocals in the center, harmonies spread to the rears (and beautifully lush IMO - they blend wonderfully), ambient effects, keys, synths, orchestra, percussion, all spread throughout the rears and highly detailed. And the heavy parts are appropriately heavy when it calls for it.

This is easily on par with TGD and FOH, IMHO. Ghost Reveries this is NOT.

I recommend anyone who enjoyed the previous mixes to check it out.

(Only complaint I have is that my disc doesn't seem to switch to the next track after a song finishes. Could just be an issue with my blu-ray player.)

Not sure where the best deal is. I just ordered from Burningshed. I'd definitely check Discogs to see if you can find something stateside to save on shipping. I'd really like to read some more opinions on this mix.
Since I originally gave it a spin, I have slightly adjusted my speakers, in that I have raised the surrounds a tadge. This has made a good difference to this recording. There is separation, the fidelity is better and the vocals are clearer. What there is, is a slight reliance on vocal's being panned around a bit. It's almost as if the material is somewhat lacking in its diversity and quality to need to put emphasis on the singer.
That being said, Bruce can sleep a bit easier now, as it is not as harsh sounding as I originally heard.
Hope that helps.

Since I originally gave it a spin, I have slightly adjusted my speakers, in that I have raised the surrounds a tadge. This has made a good difference to this recording. There is separation, the fidelity is better and the vocals are clearer. What there is, is a slight reliance on vocal's being panned around a bit. It's almost as if the material is somewhat lacking in its diversity and quality to need to put emphasis on the singer.
That being said, Bruce can sleep a bit easier now, as it is not as harsh sounding as I originally heard.
Hope that helps.

I guess it could be argued that the material doesn't lend itself to 5.1 as well as other albums, but I do feel that the mix is perfectly suited to the material. I will take this over any of the Jens Bogren Katatonia mixes, anyday.

I guess it could be argued that the material doesn't lend itself to 5.1 as well as other albums, but I do feel that the mix is perfectly suited to the material. I will take this over any of the Jens Bogren Katatonia mixes, anyday.

Jens mastered the latest Septicflesh album DR is 5. Jesus.

Jens mastered the latest Septicflesh album DR is 5. Jesus.

Not at all surprised. Jens seems to be the go-to guy for production, mixing, and mastering of so many phenomenal metal bands, including: Haken, Katatonia, Caligula's Horse, Pain of Salvation, Leprous, Devin Townsend, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Anathema, and many others.

He's a talented dude, for sure, but I can't think of a single album he's had his hands on that isn't grossly compressed.

Back