Katatonia - Dead End Kings DVD-A/V

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. I'm very happy with the new material. It definitely continues, musically, in the same vein as The Great Cold Distance. The 5.1 mix is decent, a 7-8. And NO problem with the lack of dirty vocals. Not my cup of tea (or my neighbors). Nice work. Thanks.

Hey guys! Just gave it a spin on grooveshark and have to say, I like it! Two questions...

1. Do these limited editions with 5.1 mixes for Katatonia albums sell out quickly in your experience? I don't have an income right now so I'd love to be able to wait until I'm doing better financially...
2. Which other Katatonia albums were mixed in 5.1 Surround? Only that 2006 one?

Will give the band's other material a listen, too. I was aware of them before, but never listened. I do like Dead End Kings, really solid rock/metal.

Hey guys! Just gave it a spin on grooveshark and have to say, I like it! Two questions...

1. Do these limited editions with 5.1 mixes for Katatonia albums sell out quickly in your experience? I don't have an income right now so I'd love to be able to wait until I'm doing better financially...
2. Which other Katatonia albums were mixed in 5.1 Surround? Only that 2006 one?

Will give the band's other material a listen, too. I was aware of them before, but never listened. I do like Dead End Kings, really solid rock/metal.

Please chime in Neil if I am wrong, but I think "The Great Cold Distance" is the only other album mixed in 5.1 and that CD/DVD package is still quite cheap and easy to find. Here is a link to the Amazon Canada listing. http://www.amazon.com/Great-Cold-Distance-Katatonia/dp/B000MM1FS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346106635&sr=8-1&keywords=801056817624

I don't know anything much about this band at all, except that "The Great Cold DIstance" is apparently also a full DVD-A release.
This was my first one for them, and I like it.

Please chime in Neil if I am wrong, but I think "The Great Cold Distance" is the only other album mixed in 5.1 and that CD/DVD package is still quite cheap and easy to find. Here is a link to the Amazon Canada listing. http://www.amazon.com/Great-Cold-Di...8&qid=1346106635&sr=8-1&keywords=801056817624

Arghhh - Neil just said what I was going to say, i.e. that its DVD-A...

Also - the authoring on Great Cold Distance is a bit "minimalistic"... but hey at least its a proper DVD-A...

In the latest issue of Prog magazine is an articlew on Katatonia and Dead End Kings. And in there is this quote

On days off from the tour, they'll be back in the studio working on a special 5.1 surround sound release of Dead End Kings to be released through Kscope next spring. "It'll be very experimental," says Anders Nyström. "We're going to strip away all the metal and take a more electronic singer-songwriter approach. I'm really thrilled about doing it because it'll show people that we are more diverse than they think. And if there's one person I'd want to be involved with this it's Steven Wilson. We've been speaking about doing something together for years but our schedules have never matched, so I really hope it works out this time."

So it looks like we will see another 5.1 mix of this album next year. (y)

Got mine in the mail today. I'll drink a few brews and listen to this tonight, and post my initial thoughts tomorrow.

About Great Cold Distance, while it's definitely dvd-audio, I seem to remember there being absolutely no activity in the center channel. Advertised as 5.1, but only 4.1, and a rather lackluster mix at that. More of an expanded stereo. Still a very good album, if you're interested

Arrived!
I like it. Gradually they move away from the metal and doom. Still dark and brooding. A lot of Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree fans would like this.
Also the surround mix is again better than previous Jens Bogren mixes. The center is properly used now. He did this one together with David Castillo. The mastering is also not as loud as common in the genre, something good.
Only one thing: the last track "Act of Darkening" is not on the DVD(-A). What's up with that Neil?

Last edited:
Arrived!
I like it. Gradually they move away from the metal and doom. Still dark and brooding. A lot of Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree fans would like this.
Only one thing: the last track "Act of Darkening" is not on the DVD(-A). What's up with that Neil?

The product description from burningshed mentioned a bonus track on the cd. That must be the bonus track, just not specified on the packaging maybe?

Arrived!
Also the surround mix is again better than previous Jens Bogren mixes. The center is properly used now. He did this one together with David Castillo. The mastering is also not as loud as common in the genre, something good.

I can only author the content I am supplied with!!!!!

I don't know anything much about this band at all, except that "The Great Cold DIstance" is apparently also a full DVD-A release.
This was my first one for them, and I like it.

can you give overview on the sound?
i have their previous DVDA "The Great Cold DIstance" and found it to be hard to listen due quite heavy distortion in upper range.

In the latest issue of Prog magazine, a reworking of Dead End Kings is annonced, called Uncrowned & Dethroned. Drums and distorted guitars are removed and more keyboards and acoustic guitars are added. No mention of a 5.1 version, although some time ago Katatonia mentioned this,

On days off from the tour, they'll be back in the studio working on a special 5.1 surround sound release of Dead End Kings to be released through Kscope next spring. "It'll be very experimental," says Anders Nyström. "We're going to strip away all the metal and take a more electronic singer-songwriter approach. I'm really thrilled about doing it because it'll show people that we are more diverse than they think. And if there's one person I'd want to be involved with this it's Steven Wilson. We've been speaking about doing something together for years but our schedules have never matched, so I really hope it works out this time.

This album gets re-issued as a CD+DVD combo by Peaceville on 11/11, pre-order is up on Burning Shed:

https://burningshed.com/store/peaceville/katatonia_dead-end-kings_cd_dvd
A tenth anniversary CD/DVD edition of Katatonia’s acclaimed 2012 classic Dead End Kings.

The CD feqtures the album plus all of its associated bonus material. The DVD contains the 5.1 audio mix of the album. The package includes new artwork from artist Travis Smith, with a continuation of the concept from his original work on the album.
You can note the DVD-Audio/Video and dts logos on the pic below, but given past experience that doesn't need to mean much...
Kall.jpg

Oh and here's the poll-link for previous editions:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/katatonia-dead-end-kings-dvd-a.16520

This album gets re-issued as a CD+DVD combo by Peaceville on 11/11, pre-order is up on Burning Shed:

https://burningshed.com/store/peaceville/katatonia_dead-end-kings_cd_dvd
You can note the DVD-Audio/Video and dts logos on the pic below, but given past experience that doesn't need to mean much...
View attachment 82784
Oh and here's the poll-link for previous editions:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/katatonia-dead-end-kings-dvd-a.16520

$15 shipped - ordered. What a deal and thanks for the 'heads up'!

Back