HiRez Poll Katatonia - DEAD END KINGS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Katatonia - DEAD END KINGS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Peaceville is sending me a corrected DVD-Audio (as a DVD-R) as mine just had dts on it and no DVD-Audio despite the label saying it was DVD Audio

That is impossible - a straight Video_TS version only was never made.
Something seriously weird there.

I believe I posted the catalog number/barcode etc. above. It appears to be issued on a Mexican label, Scarecrow is on the DVD label.

IMG_0655.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 12.00.42 PM.jpg

So that Audio_TS is definitely empty then?
One possible solution - and the only one I can think of - is that this is a pirated copy.
It smells like someone ripped the Video_TS, and then re-replicated. We simply never made a straight DVD-V version.

Is Scarecrow legitimate? I also noted that on the CD in my set, there is an additional bonus track, there is a 13th track which is "Second". The quality of it is abysmal. Tracks 1-12 (through The Act of Darkening) are fine. Maybe it is some kind of botched pirate job?

It appears I bought one too from an eBay seller about a month ago. DVD description always vague so par for the course. Will have to trade up.

today arrived parcel with some discs. among other 2x Dead End KIng.
what is strange, one disc in slipcase and second without, just in a typical CD jewel case.
there aren't any indication in regard of content inside. strange, because both copies were
on the same order and now i wonder did they send me one DVD-A+CD set and the second CD only?
not yet opened. maybe will be forced to send back to amazon.com for replacement :(

its appears both has identical code just different packing.
barcode 801056840325

That sounds like the weird one I have where track 13 on the CD (Second) sounds horrible and the DVD only has DTS on it, no DVD-Audio.

well, i opened both and it's turned out amazon did send me 2 CDs.
one in slipcase has booklet, another without.
after prolonged chat with amazon representatives (3 in total) they can's explain to me how
this happend. anyway, now i must return this crap for refund, because they do not have
DVD-A+CD in stock and cannot replace my initial order.
perhaps i must feel happy, as there was 9 discs in total and only 2 was misplaced.
giving knowledge of amazon's employees it could be worst. damn, really upset with all this crap.

Hi there,

I am wondering if anybody found out in the meantime if the CD/DVD set from "Scarecrowe" is a legitimate one? I got a shrink-wrapped copy last week from a Canadian seller on Ebay. It had the same characteristics as the ones described above (13 tracks on CD, no data in the AUDIO_TS folder on the DVD). The discs itself are looking like pressed one, I am not an expert though...

Regards,
Andreas

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 62
Hi there,

I am wondering if anybody found out in the meantime if the CD/DVD set from "Scarecrowe" is a legitimate one? I got a shrink-wrapped copy last week from a Canadian seller on Ebay. It had the same characteristics as the ones described above (13 tracks on CD, no data in the AUDIO_TS folder on the DVD). The discs itself are looking like pressed one, I am not an expert though...

Regards,
Andreas

Seems to be the official Mexico release, according to Discogs https://www.discogs.com/Katatonia-Dead-End-Kings/release/5365094

Edit: I hadn't read any of the prior posts when I replied to your question. Seems like I didn't really have any new info to offer :p

It's a bummer that the Scarecrow version seems to be an illegitimate copy and to be only DVD-V, not DVD-A.
Due to discogs, I was led to believe the Scarecrow copy was DVD-A (and surmised it was probably legit). I have now left a note on discogs, stating:

There is no "DVD-Audio" on the Scarecrow Records version of this DVD, which is possibly a bootleg, possibly licensed (though I doubt it). There are 13 tracks on the CD, not 12. The 5.1 mix on the DVD-Video does sound quite good, but it is DTS only, NOT MLP Lossless, as it should be on a DVD-Audio.

Hopefully discogs will remove the DVD-Audio description from the listing.

Question, for the group: did Peaceville ever release an official CD/DVD-A package? Discogs doen't list such a package. Amazon might, but maybe it is just the scarecrow version...

Woo!!! An affordable, legit copy just arrived. Sounds awesome.

No more shitty bootleg for me!!!
wow, nearly four years waiting for a good copy. I would love to hear a review.

I received a copy from FiveRingsofNoise on DiscOgs seller yesterday, DVD-A in great condition. I've listened to it a couple of time and am really enjoying. I'll have to do a couple if A-B comparisons with Dethroned & Uncrowned, which I got a couple weeks ago from Burning Shed along with Anathema's The Optimist. I'd recommend 5 Rings, I got two Katatonia discs and two Opted discs, all used but in near mint condition. Very quickly too. Looks like my August is all set for doom and gloom.

I don't know if this disc has the MLP stereo issue, I never listen to the stereo versions.

Back