HiRez Poll Katatonia - DEAD END KINGS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Katatonia - DEAD END KINGS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-A available in a limited edition deluxe package from Peaceville! (n):phones(y)

katatonia.jpg

FYI - There is also a CD/DVD-A package available...

large3081.jpg

https://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/product/241/3931/

I've given this a couple of listens today. If you liked Great Cold Distance, you'll like this. For me, this album is an interesting listen (somber prog-metal) but the music doesn't really grab me (although it may with a few more times through). The mix is fairly conservative with some discrete elements in the rears but the vocals and most of the instruments are in the front speakers. The CD/DVD-A packaging is top-notch. I give this a solid 7 and am happy to have it in my collection.

My first thought was that I was expecting something a little different from A Great Cold Distance, but it is quite similar - not in a bad way though.

While this band is gradually moving from doom metal to (who knows) a more accessible style, I tend to like them more. Another DVD-A also got my attention and Jens Bogren (together with somebody else) has improved a lot since his first surround mix. I think an 8 (need to listen at least one more time before voting).
The mastering is surprisingly dynamic / not overly loud for the genre (a good thing).

But why is the last track "The Act of Darkening" not on the DVD(-A)? :mad:@:

I purchased the DVDA/CD package and liked the mix and the more Progressive Metal direction on this release. It was GREAT to get a 5.1 mix instead of the 4.0 on The Great Cold Distance which was a good release also. Neal did his usual brilliant job, you are the best. Some of the tracks have the sound of early/mid Porcupine Tree music. I will give this a solid 8 but would have given a higher mark if the packaging did not suck. This over 60 year old had a hell of a time getting the disc to release without bending. I made scans to print covers and loaded everything in a standard double jewel case which is standard for me with any media that does not come packaged that way.

An 8 from me. 9 for the music, 7 for the mix.

Typical safe, unadventurous, front heavy mix, as I had expected it would be, but they did get quite a few things right with the mix-Especially when compared to GCD! Some of the more somber and quiet moments have some nice surround activity, and the vocals seem to be anchored in the center channel alone, instead of being spread across the front sound stage, which is definitely a plus! It's also rather dynamic, with a nice snap to the snare drums and decent low end, and definite punch between loud and soft moments. So overall, not a bad mix, just could have been a lot better!

The music itself is the typical formula of their last few albums, but in my opinion they're getting better at it. This one might be my favorite of the three.

And I agree with byrdman on the packaging, the discs are very hard to get out and I was afraid of breaking the discs.

Hello. This is a very solid offering, much better than The Great Cold Distance. Huge production value, and a great, well thought out immersive 5.1 mix. Quite possibly the best 5.1 Hard Rock/Metal DVD-A (yeah, not too many in this category). IMO. Thanks.

Last edited:
I am not much into metal (but big into prog!) but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this. More Prog and atmospheric than metal, solid songs and excellent production. Enjoyed the surround and the packaging is beautiful! Well done - 9 from me.

Hello. I can't think of a better Metal/Hard Rock (Non-Steven Wilson) 5.1 mix than this. I've listened this this end over end since I received it, and it reveals itself more and more with each listen. I can't follow von kulper's aforementioned contradictive review, opening with a negative comment, then proceeding with very positive comments. Whatever. This disc is great and should be considered for purchase by all Metal/Hard rock 5.1 fans. Thanks.

i havent receved it yet, but for hard rock/metal I still love Metallica - Black album. I wish I would have ...and justice for all in DVDA thou... (I do have Metallica-The Videos DVD, allthou it is Dolby digital, "One" just sounds amazing)

Last edited:
Hello. I can't think of a better Metal/Hard Rock (Non-Steven Wilson) 5.1 mix than this. I've listened this this end over end since I received it, and it reveals itself more and more with each listen. I can't follow von kulper's aforementioned contradictive review, opening with a negative comment, then proceeding with very positive comments. Whatever. This disc is great and should be considered for purchase by all Metal/Hard rock 5.1 fans. Thanks.

Hmmm, I guess my comments could seem somewhat contradictive and more negative than I was going for, but I was simply stating what I had initially liked and didn't like. So to clarify, great sound quality, great music, decent surround mix with some very nice moments. I gave it an overall 8 and I stand by that 8. Bogren's best mix yet.

And I agree, it does reveal itself more with each listen, particularly in the quieter moments where there's A LOT of nice subtle surround effects. Every time I listen I pick out something I hadn't noticed before.

Sorry to dig up this thread, but I recently got the CD/LP/DVD-A package in the mail. Can anyone confirm the sample rate the DVD-A? It looks like it's 48khz for stereo and surround; I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Sorry to dig up this thread, but I recently got the CD/LP/DVD-A package in the mail. Can anyone confirm the sample rate the DVD-A? It looks like it's 48khz for stereo and surround; I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I got the CD/DVD-A package - yes its 24/48K....

Just got this one (cd/dvd-a) and played the first 3 tracks to get a feel of the mix, so I'll post a review once a few complete listens are in!

My main concern in this post is the 2.0 mix. I wonder if I have a defect, but in my Oppo bdp-93, the 2.0 mix is just the front Left and Right of the surround mix! No Vocals, just echoes!! I first played the dvd-a MLP 24/48 track, then I tried the dvd-v PCM track and they're the same. Good thing it came with the cd so I can hear the 2.0 mix, but I would have liked to have it in a better resolution. Can anyone with a copy confirm this? thanks!

I did a quick check between the 5.1, Hi-rez stereo and CD of the first two tracks...and yes - it appears the hi-rez stereo is the front L+R channels of the 5.1 mix...:yikes

I'll post waveforms once I've had a chance to generate them.

Ok here are the waveforms:

Top = CD
Middle = Stereo Hi-rez (its at a lot lower level)
Bottom = L+R from Hi-rez 5.1

Capture.jpg

Back