HiRez Poll Katatonia - DETHRONED & UNCROWNED [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Katatonia - DETHRONED & UNCROWNED

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Performance, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9:

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • 8:

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • 7:

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Performance, Poor Content

• Total voters
Here's another band that has embraced Quad as the way to go for a surround mix.
Can't say that I generally agree with the lack of center channel content in a mix, but thankfully it does work quite nicely.

As many of you know, this is a stripped down version of their album "Dead End Kings" and an approach that I prefer for surround as the music is a lot more open.
But I do find this mix to be slightly more timid than I would like it to be. That doesn't mean I want mix elements whizzing around me, but I'm not blown away by it like I am with other mixes that I have heard.
I really love track 4 ("The Racing Heart") though. It's a great track that works well in this setting.
Background vocals in the surrounds is the heart of this surround mix, and thankfully most of the time, it is done very well.
I guess one of the other downsides I have with this album is that a lot of these songs sound a little too similar for my tastes.

It's for these reasons that I can give it now higher than an '8'.

Turn the rears up and this sounds great!

I’ve just listened to this and never heard a thing in the rears, had to play another disc to test the rears in case something had gone wrong!, before anyone suggests turning up the rears they are already 4db’s higher than everything else
Edit, the problem was the MLP 4.1, it was playing in stereo, when I tried the DTS it was great, not noticed the problem on dvd before, only on blu ray quads

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
Back