Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts DTS 96/24 Mixed by Bruce Soord

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both excellent mixes, also Still Life, Blackwater Park - both pretty decent, but especially Anathema Distant Satellites. An absolutely incredible surround mix on that one.

Baggy have all dems. Baggy think Stll Life and Distant Satellites muy good. Blackwater Park muy ok.

Who mixed the other two Anathema surround albums? Weather Systems and We're Here Because We're Here? Baggy have to relisten to doz. Baggy been spinning the holy heck outta DS too much.

Baggy have all dems. Baggy think Stll Life and Distant Satellites muy good. Blackwater Park muy ok.

Who mixed the other two Anathema surround albums? Weather Systems and We're Here Because We're Here? Baggy have to relisten to doz. Baggy been spinning the holy heck outta DS too much.

We're Here was SW. And Weather Systems... I don't recall, but whoever it was, they did some very odd things with that one.

Yup, and it was definitely an improvement, sonically, over the dolby disc version. But obviously it can't fix some of the bizarre choices made for the surround mix itself.

We're Here Because We're Here
Mixed By – Steven Wilson
Weather Systems
Mixed By – Jakko M Jakszyk

Serious?? I don't recall it being him at all! I generally really enjoy his mixes, but there is something off about WS, and it's just so different from the stereo mix! Seriously surprised it was him...

I think "pleasant metal" or "mellow metal" could be good descriptions for this album.
Great use of rears throughout. Nice, easily listenable sound. Plenty powerful. Well-mixed, IMO.
Nicely done. Will be in regular rotation.

What the fuck did Bruce do with the lead guitar part in Serein? I call it a "lead" guitar because it's definitely very well audible in the stereo mix but in the 5.1 it seems to have disappeared completely in the intro! It does occur when it's repeated though later on in the song. Unbelievable! Did he maybe forget to put the fader up the first time around?

All in all a decent mix but I agree with whoever mentioned earlier in this topic that it sounds sort of recessed - for lack of a better word. To my ears it just sounds like something is missing. I'm not even sure it's the guitars only but it certainly plays a part: there's is a lack of punch.

And before anyone brings up the topic of compression: SW can get heavy guitars sounding right (and so did Bogren on The Great Cold Distance 5.1-mix for example - a mix which I still find great sounding --> even though it lacks a bit of adventure in how the 5.1 behaves the sound of that DVD-A is absolutely gigantic) so there's no excuse for Bruce not being able to do so. To me it sounds like he can't do what SW does so well: retain the overall feel and sound of an album regardless of whether or not it's in 5.1.

Just toggle back and forth between the stereo mix (which I think was done by Bogren if the credits in the booklet are anything to go by) and the surround mix by Soord. The stereo mix actually sounds much more coherent, clean and packs a punch.

What the fuck did Bruce do with the lead guitar part in Serein? I call it a "lead" guitar because it's definitely very well audible in the stereo mix but in the 5.1 it seems to have disappeared completely in the intro! It does occur when it's repeated though later on in the song. Unbelievable! Did he maybe forget to put the fader up the first time around?

All in all a decent mix but I agree with whoever mentioned earlier in this topic that it sounds sort of recessed - for lack of a better word. To my ears it just sounds like something is missing. I'm not even sure it's the guitars only but it certainly plays a part: there's is a lack of punch.

And before anyone brings up the topic of compression: SW can get heavy guitars sounding right (and so did Bogren on The Great Cold Distance 5.1-mix for example - a mix which I still find great sounding --> even though it lacks a bit of adventure in how the 5.1 behaves the sound of that DVD-A is absolutely gigantic) so there's no excuse for Bruce not being able to do so. To me it sounds like he can't do what SW does so well: retain the overall feel and sound of an album regardless of whether or not it's in 5.1.

Just toggle back and forth between the stereo mix (which I think was done by Bogren if the credits in the booklet are anything to go by) and the surround mix by Soord. The stereo mix actually sounds much more coherent, clean and packs a punch.

The issue is once again the guitars. Bruce has buried most of the rhythm guitars and some leads, same issue with Opeth Deliverance. He clearly did not listen to stereo mix for reference. I need to hear the vinyl version of this album.

The Opeth vinyl is VERY quiet, not compressed, yet powerful when turned up. The guitars are mixed clearly. The 5.1 mix is a mess. The guitars are buried and thus, although the music is compressed, it sounds weak and muddy.

Real shame, but at least the surround mix is very dynamic.

I think "pleasant metal" or "mellow metal" could be good descriptions for this album.
Great use of rears throughout. Nice, easily listenable sound. Plenty powerful. Well-mixed, IMO.
Nicely done. Will be in regular rotation.

Listen to the 2.0 mix, you will change your mind. Pay attention to the guitars.

stereo mix went through very heavy limiter and been terrible compressed.
impossible to listen more than one track at time, quite unpleasant sound.
b.t.w. i don't get a point of upsampling the source audio. if recording were done
at 48kHz why just don't leave it as is, instead of upsample to 96kHz?
doesn't make any sense.

Listen to the 2.0 mix, you will change your mind. Pay attention to the guitars.

I get the whole surround mix should honor the stereo mix thing, but I just don't feel that way.
It's fine with me when it does, but it's fine with me when the 5.1 is its own thing. This album in 5.1 is plain and simple a pleasant listen for me, each and every time so far. And the Mrs. which is always a bonus.

so, i broke my promise and got this release. it was last one in amazon stock and was for $14+ CAD + $3with some change shipping,
thus i thought not something to push me into bankruptcy.
stereo sounds terribly bad and painful.
5.1 (if to dismiss typical DTS drawback), simply the great.
very well balanced soundfield, placement of all elements, well preserved dynamic.
overall album itself - depends on individual listeners preferences but what i hear, i liked very much.
too bad it's not lossless :(

Bruce did a better job with drums and bass than Bogren did, but Jens knows what he is doing with guitars.

A mix of the two would be perfect (y):D

Fully agree with you, though I think the snare drum could slam slightly more on the 5.1 and the kick drum doesn't cut enough and is too muddy on the double bass parts.

This one is better than the Deliverance remix, but still features the same recessed guitar parts. Only those turned up by 1 or 2 dB would do the trick, even though I think the way Bogren leaves the higher frequencies in the guitars gives them the exact bite they need for this kind of music.

Please Bruce, stop using such heavy low pass filters on the high gain guitar tracks to let them breathe and turn them UP. This is supposed to be METAL.

Back