Kate Bush - 50 Words For Snow (Mixed by Stephen W Tayler in Stereo!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sashaaa

Hey everyone, just wanted to share this wonderful album that I just noticed was Mixed by QQ's @Stephen W Tayler. It's really quite a beautiful but also lonely and spare album. If you're into the later era music of Talk Talk or No-Man's Together We're Stranger I think you'd enjoy this album. It's also one of my favorite sounding albums I've recently listened to. Really takes advantage of the dynamic range of modern recordings. I can only dream of a surround release...

Hey everyone, just wanted to share this wonderful album that I just noticed was Mixed by QQ's @Stephen W Tayler. It's really quite a beautiful but also lonely and spare album. If you're into the later era music of Talk Talk or No-Man's Together We're Stranger I think you'd enjoy this album. It's also one of my favorite sounding albums I've recently listened to. Really takes advantage of the dynamic range of modern recordings. I can only dream of a surround release...

This was a wonderful experience, mixing '50 Words For Snow' with Kate. I had previously mixed much of 'Director's Cut' and ended up not only being involved with the live shows for 'Before The Dawn' but also spending months with her preparing and mixing the live album. I had always wished to present these works in surround but sadly it was just something Kate had no interest in, and she is totally involved in every aspect of her works. SWTx

This was a wonderful experience, mixing '50 Words For Snow' with Kate. I had previously mixed much of 'Director's Cut' and ended up not only being involved with the live shows for 'Before The Dawn' but also spending months with her preparing and mixing the live album. I had always wished to present these works in surround but sadly it was just something Kate had no interest in, and she is totally involved in every aspect of her works. SWTx
If Nigel Godrich can be brought around, maybe Kate can, too...!

That's totally fair, surround or not, the music speaks for itself! It's so cool that you were able to mix these works.

Was part of Before The Dawn (the actual live show) in surround? I was at one of the shows, and when the Pink Floyd helicopter sound effect was used during The Ninth Wave, there were 'searchlights' traversing the auditorium. So in my memory the helicopter sound was also moving around the room. Maybe that's just over-excitement/ wish-fulfilment on my part! (I really thought it was possible that when (if) the video of the show was released it could have a surround soundtrack.)

(Obviously it's up to Kate what she does and 99% of the time her dedication to her vision makes her music a better thing - but I wish she'd have a word with her friend/ mentor/ inspiration Dave Gilmour, who clearly thinks surround can enhance his music!)

Was part of Before The Dawn (the actual live show) in surround? I was at one of the shows, and when the Pink Floyd helicopter sound effect was used during The Ninth Wave, there were 'searchlights' traversing the auditorium. So in my memory the helicopter sound was also moving around the room. Maybe that's just over-excitement/ wish-fulfilment on my part! (I really thought it was possible that when (if) the video of the show was released it could have a surround soundtrack.)
Yes there was a 16 channel surround system set up in a circle dedicated to the sound effects and some of the music playback - the live band and vocals were only through the main stereo PA. I never had the pleasure of actually witnessing any of that, because my setup as Kate's 'Vocal Navigator' at the side of the stage was next to the monitor engineer's console, and I only ever heard the show in earphones, which were the same balance as Kate's!!

Speaking of the “Before The Dawn” show. I’m a HUGE Kate Bush fan here in AUS. There was no-way to get to the Hammersmith Apollo in London to see this concert, let alone have time to buy a ticket (all shows sold out in minutes). Even though I have the LP set (with beautiful pics of the concert) and the CD set, it just seems unfair that she hasn’t released the concert on Blu-ray for her fans 🥲🙏🤞

Back