Kate Bush

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to be a huge Kate fan back in the 70's & 80's.
Not so much anymore although some of her songs are brilliant.
Her catalog was available early on in the CD era.
Original Hounds of Love audio is a mess of mish-mash much like the original Oranges & Lemons.

If they can clean them up then I'll probably buy a couple of them.

I think Kate Bush is the greatest female recording artist of all time, and I am glad that her catalogue is getting revisited like this, but it is obviously very disappointing when you have arguably the greatest surround mixing engineer of all time (Steven Wilson) wanting to remix her catalogue in 5.1 surround and all we get is a 'remastered' CD & vinyl box set.

Looks like that window of opportunity has definitely closed for now, but maybe something else will pop up in the future, like a videos collection on Blu-Ray & DVD with 5.1 surround mixes. Now I would pay a good deal of money for a collection like that!

:)

[QUOTE="rtbluray, post: 390712, member: 3728"]I think Kate Bush is the greatest female recording artist of all time, and I am glad that her catalogue is getting revisited like this, but it is obviously very disappointing when you have arguably the greatest surround mixing engineer of all time (Steven Wilson) wanting to remix her catalogue in 5.1 surround and all we get is a 'remastered' CD & vinyl box set.

Looks like that window of opportunity has definitely closed for now, but maybe something else will pop up in the future, like a videos collection on Blu-Ray & DVD with 5.1 surround mixes. Now I would pay a good deal of money for a collection like that!

:)[/QUOTE]

Whoa...I didn't see that coming...the greatest?

I think Kate Bush is the greatest female recording artist of all time, and I am glad that her catalogue is getting revisited like this, but it is obviously very disappointing when you have arguably the greatest surround mixing engineer of all time (Steven Wilson) wanting to remix her catalogue in 5.1 surround and all we get is a 'remastered' CD & vinyl box set.

:)
Whoa...I didn't see that coming...the greatest?

I agree 1,000%! An amazing voice. A fantastic songwriter. A talented dancer and director. A true artist who always follows her own muse instead of fashionable trends.

Four years ago I flew to London to see her Before the Dawn concert. (These were her first concerts since 1979.) The show was mind blowing. The greatest concert experience of my life. (And I've been to close to 1,000 concerts in my lifetime.) I ran up a significant amount of credit card debt on that trip and had to take a second job when I got back to pay it off, and I don't regret it at all.

I do get that her music can be very hard to penetrate. I remember seeing her on Saturday Night Live back in 1979 and not getting it at all. It would be quite a few years before I finally "got it". In the late 80's a friend leant me Hounds of Love and insisted that I give it a few very close listens. Once I let the music really sink in it all started to connect with me. Truly wonderful stuff.

Fast forward a few years to when she released The Red Shoes. She came to NYC to do a record signing at Tower Records. It was December. I froze my butt off on a sidewalk for five hours waiting to meet her and get my marble vinyl copy of Hounds of Love autographed. That signed LP is still one of my most cherished possessions!

I remember seeing her on Saturday Night Live back in 1979 and not getting it at all.

Yes! I remember that night well. Given my already-weird-by-then pseudo-taste I don't know why her performances didn't resonate, but I thought she was genuinely bad. I like her just fine now and am happy she's endured, though I'm only really familiar with her better-known songs.

39 years later I wonder if she had an off night or if I did.

I must admit I'm in the same boat...to be candid... I've only sampled a few of her songs..
I never appreciated her solo stuff, but recently listening to "Don't Give Up" on the Peter Gabriel videos collection, her voice sounds pretty magical coming from the rear channels... I might be able to get into some Bush...:p

Thanks to a fellow QQ'er (on another, er, platform), I've just begun to enjoy EoH's excellent upmixes of the KB catalogue. Since she's spurned Steven Wilson, that's the best we're likely to get!

Back