Kate Bush

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Kate Bush is the greatest female recording artist of all time, and I am glad that her catalogue is getting revisited like this, but it is obviously very disappointing when you have arguably the greatest surround mixing engineer of all time (Steven Wilson) wanting to remix her catalogue in 5.1 surround and all we get is a 'remastered' CD & vinyl box set.

Looks like that window of opportunity has definitely closed for now, but maybe something else will pop up in the future, like a videos collection on Blu-Ray & DVD with 5.1 surround mixes. Now I would pay a good deal of money for a collection like that!

:)
I was living and working in Amsterdam in the late 70's cool city and people and a friend of mine was trying his level best to turn me on to her music. Kate just came out with Lionheart. Needless to say I hated it, her voice turned me off. Anyway she was touring that year and my friend bought both of us a ticket to go see her. I was grousing about going to see someone I did not like. So we went to the concert and proceeded to have my mind blown. What a stage presence, artistic, musically and visually stimulating. Been a fan ever since. Even after all these years I still remember that concert and her.

So, no news on anything new (no new music, no old albums being remixed for surround). However, her classic track "Running Up That Hill" is #1 all over the globe right now, including #1 on the U.S. versions of Spotify & iTunes. It's being featured prominently in the current season of the Netflix series Stranger Things.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 2.56.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 3.00.45 PM.png

Or if you prefer a live version, here's one with Dave Gilmour. :)

So, no news on anything new (no new music, no old albums being remixed for surround). However, her classic track "Running Up That Hill" is #1 all over the globe right now, including #1 on the U.S. versions of Spotify & iTunes. It's being featured prominently in the current season of the Netflix series Stranger Things.

View attachment 79633
View attachment 79634

Or if you prefer a live version, here's one with Dave Gilmour. :)

There's an interesting article in the Telegraph about how the song's gone viral again due to Stranger Things. (I love that show!) It explains it's meaning briefly, and that Kate Bush was reluctant to change it's original title, A Deal With God but was pressured by the label. Would love, love, love a decent Atmos mix of Hounds of Love to be done... :phones

The secret to Running Up That Hill may have something to do with its unconventional qualities. It is a love song of sorts, written about Bush’s then partner Del Palmer. Of course, this being Kate Bush, she came at the subject from an offbeat angle – the idea being that Bush wants to temporarily exchange genders with Palmer so that they could see the world from the other’s perspective. Or, to translate it into fluent Kate Bush: “If I only could, I'd make a deal with God/And I'd get him to swap our places”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/olympic-dreams-catholic-panic-stranger-things-many-lives-kate/

A few weeks ago I saw The Gilmour Project live. Its a group of veteran musicians that re-interpret Pink Floyd and David Gilmour songs. The track list was kind of odd. They did the entire Dark Side album in honor of its 50th anniversary. They did other selected Floyd tunes from all over the catalog, no Gilmour solo tracks, and only a single track from the post waters Floyd - Learning To Fly. Surprisingly (or maybe not) they also did Running Up That Hill.

They were very proficient musicians and they improvised and jammed quite a bit. These were not note perfect performances by any means. It struck me as an odd setlist for a band calling themselves The Gilmour Project.

Last edited:
Would love, love, love a decent Atmos mix of Hounds of Love to be done... :phones

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/olympic-dreams-catholic-panic-stranger-things-many-lives-kate/
When I recognized Kate's song in the soundtrack of STRANGER THINGS, I cranked it up to see if it had been mixed to 5.1 like the
rest of the show. Not sure :unsure:. But I second the motion for a Dolby Atmos HOUNDS OF LOVE! The flip side of the vinyl is totally
awesome, and what a trip it must have been a few years ago to hear it live in Hammersmith.

The flip side of the vinyl is totally awesome, and what a trip it must have been a few years ago to hear it live in Hammersmith.

I made the trip to England to see the concert. I certainly didn't have the money for such a vacation at the time. I had to take a second job when I got back to pay for the trip, but it was completely worth it. The concert was pure magic. The performance of the second side of Hounds (The Ninth Wave) was absolutely mind blowing. One of the best, if not the best, concerts I've ever seen.

Oh, and Apparently "Running Up That Hill" has re-entered the Australian singles chart this week at #2! Will be very interested to see how it fares throughout the rest of the world.

A few weeks ago I saw The Gilmour Project live. Its a group of veteran musicians that re-interpret Pink Floyd and David Gilmour songs. The track list was kind of odd. They did the entire Dark Side album in honor of its 50th anniversary. They did other selected Floyd tunes from all over the catalog, no Gilmour solo tracks, and only a single track from the post waters Floyd - Learning To Fly. Surprisingly (or maybe not) they also did Running Up That Hill.

They were very proficient musicians and they improvised and jammed quite a bit. These were not note perfect performances by any means. It struck me as an odd setlist for a band calling themselves The Gilmour Project.

That is interesting . . . I know that David Gilmour privately funded some of Kate Bush's projects so perhaps that is the link?
Also, jealous that you have decent PF cover band to go see :)

When I recognized Kate's song in the soundtrack of STRANGER THINGS, I cranked it up to see if it had been mixed to 5.1 like the
rest of the show. Not sure :unsure:

This season is actually in Atmos, but the song didn't sound like it was. There were too many other sound effects going on though.

I caught Baby Bushka (a tribute act) in Dublin a couple of weeks ago.
I was expecting an evening of camp stupidity (and there was plenty) but they were also really inventive, moving, playful, funny, ritualistic, musically on point and generally fun
If theyre playing anywhere near you I heartily recommend an evening of their company
http://www.ilovebabybushka.com/

Here in the USA, "Running Up That Hill" has hit #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. Pretty crazy for a 37 year old song, especially when you consider that back in 1985 it only got to #30 on the chart. Congrats Kate!

A note from KB herself, reproduced in this week's Rhino Newsletter:

When the first series came out, friends kept asking us if we’d seen 'Stranger Things’, so we checked it out and really loved it. We’ve watched every series since then, as a family. When they approached us to use Running Up That Hill, you could tell that a lot of care had gone into how it was used in the context of the story and I really liked the fact that the song was a positive totem for the character, Max. I’m really impressed by this latest series. It's an epic piece of work - the shows are extremely well put together with great characters and fantastic SFX. It’s very touching that the song has been so warmly received, especially as it’s being driven by the young fans who love the shows. I’m really happy that the Duffer Brothers are getting such positive feedback for their latest creation. They deserve it.

Kate Bush

This season is actually in Atmos, but the song didn't sound like it was. There were too many other sound effects going on though.

Atmos! My amp can decode that but it is still using Dolby Surround for the show. Any trick to get it to stream in Atmos? It's probably because my Denon might
not have the latest HDMI eARC (come to think of it, I don't use ARC, even with an optical connection). Forget why, but on initial setup I was not satisfied with it.

Atmos! My amp can decode that but it is still using Dolby Surround for the show. Any trick to get it to stream in Atmos? It's probably because my Denon might
not have the latest HDMI eARC (come to think of it, I don't use ARC, even with an optical connection). Forget why, but on initial setup I was not satisfied with it.
Atmos only works when connected with HDMI, when I first got my firestick I wondered why it wouldn’t give me atmos on amazon prime, my tv only has arc and atmos only works with earc at both ends, so I plugged the firestick straight into my avr and hey presto atmos works. I’d say to anyone if you want atmos connect directly to your avr rather than your tv (unless of course you have earc at both ends)

Atmos only works when connected with HDMI, when I first got my firestick I wondered why it wouldn’t give me atmos on amazon prime, my tv only has arc and atmos only works with earc at both ends, so I plugged the firestick straight into my avr and hey presto atmos works. I’d say to anyone if you want atmos connect directly to your avr rather than your tv (unless of course you have earc at both ends)

No, that's doesn't seem right. My AVR doesn't have eARC, I plug my SHIELD directly into the AVR and I have no issue. Even ARC is capable of streaming Atmos from streaming services (might have issues with lossless audio though). Sounds like it might be more an issue of the Firestick/internal TV apps. In general though, yes, you should probably be connecting your streaming device to the AVR rather than the TV.

No, that's doesn't seem right. My AVR doesn't have eARC, I plug my SHIELD directly into the AVR and I have no issue. Even ARC is capable of streaming Atmos from streaming services (might have issues with lossless audio though). Sounds like it might be more an issue of the Firestick/internal TV apps. In general though, yes, you should probably be connecting your streaming device to the AVR rather than the TV.
I have read that without earc you will only get lossless atmos from the tv to the avr, if you want true atmos it has to be earc at both ends or connect the device directly to the avr

I have read that without earc you will only get lossless atmos from the tv to the avr, if you want true atmos it has to be earc at both ends or connect the device directly to the avr
I'm confused by this. If lossless Atmos isn't the same as true Atmos, then what is true Atmos?

Back