Kate Bush

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap! :oops: Running Up That Hill is now #2 on the charts!

It has now gone to #1 in Australia! Looking forward to seeing if it gets higher in the USA.

But will terrestrial radio play it? Not likely. :mad: And this is why, after spending 40 years in radio, I no longer listen to the radio.

Billboard did report a couple of days ago that it was being serviced to U.S. radio stations. It will be interesting to see if it gets any airplay. Meanwhile, if you want to hear Kate on the radio, listen to college radio! We play her all the time!

A new post from Kate:

Running Up That Hill has just gone to No 2 in the UK charts and No. 1 in Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Swedenā€¦.

How utterly brilliant! Itā€™s hard to take in the speed at which this has all been happening since the release of the first part of the Stranger Things new series. So many young people who love the show, discovering the song for the first time.

The response to Running Up That Hill is something that has had its own energy and volition. A direct relationship between the shows and their audience and one that has stood completely outside of the music business. Weā€™ve all been astounded to watch the track explode!

Thanks so much to everyone who has supported the song and a really special thank you to the Duffer Brothers for creating something with such heart .

All best wishes,

Kate

A new post from Kate:

Running Up That Hill has just gone to No 2 in the UK charts and No. 1 in Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Swedenā€¦.

How utterly brilliant! Itā€™s hard to take in the speed at which this has all been happening since the release of the first part of the Stranger Things new series. So many young people who love the show, discovering the song for the first time.

The response to Running Up That Hill is something that has had its own energy and volition. A direct relationship between the shows and their audience and one that has stood completely outside of the music business. Weā€™ve all been astounded to watch the track explode!

Thanks so much to everyone who has supported the song and a really special thank you to the Duffer Brothers for creating something with such heart .

All best wishes,

Kate
Here in the US, I always found it to be highly underrated. It should have been a bigger hit when it was released. But at least now, it's getting traction.

And "Running Up That Hill" is #4 this week in the USA, giving Kate her first ever top 5 single in this country. It is actually the #1 selling song in the USA as well as the #1 streamed song, but as the Billboard charts also take into account airplay, Harry Styles, Jack Harlow and Future all charted higher than Kate this week. Billboard reports that Kate is getting some American airplay, but not nearly as much as the younger pop artists. Kind of stupid. You would think that terrestrial radio would think that if a song is the best selling and most streamed song in the country that people might want to hear it. Despite that, this is still great news for Kate. She's never had this kind of success in America before. The success of the song has also pushed Hounds of Love to #12 on the album chart, also a new career high for Kate.

Carrie Battan at The New Yorker.com's "Culture Desk"

It is genuinely delightful when old songs bubble up in unexpected ways. And yet thereā€™s something a little disconcerting about a once-in-a-generation artist like Bush being removed from the larger backdrop of her strange and singular vision, and accidentally refashioned as a viral event. There is magic in discovering and exploring her work, magic that is difficult to access when all youā€™ve done is simply turn on the most popular television show in the world.​

More here (it's a five-minute read):
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/running-up-that-hill-with-kate-bush-again

For those who donā€™t watch the show; hereā€™s the main scene that highlights the song. Itā€™s been a great season for Stranger Things so far! Enjoy the weirdness, horrors, heartfelt vibes and scrappy passions of this scene and show overall.

Yikes - too scary for me - thanks for posting though so I know what the hullabaloo is about šŸ˜±

image000000[1].jpg

Whether it might be Steven Wilson or any other mix expert who may have a particular interest in working on a new version of a classic album - itā€™s not up to the mixer!!

It has to be down to the artist, the label or the rights owner.

Yes it would be amazing to have the opportunity to mix oneā€™s favourite album. Believe me we may have tried on more than one occasion!!

From my experience it is ultimately down to the artist, and I totally respect that.

So please accept that certain albums may never be revisited for a surround or Atmos remake.

Back