KBFH , SQ , and Silverline DVDA's in SQ matrix ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly the government seems to want the BBC funding to be via subscription rather than a licence fee (which is way way cheaper than my Sky TV subscription). I think we'd just end up with wall to wall 'lack-of-talent' contests on TV hosted by 'reality show' stars, ugh! BBC4 took over from BBC2 with 'quality' programmes, now its mainly a repeats channel :( ........ and does anybody actually watch BBC3?

That's frustrating! It seems possible that if they go to a subscription format, they may find themselves actually governmentally subsidizing the BBC. As long as they get that recently promised new "Detectorists" special done and broadcast soon, I guess I might be able to do without them. We tend to stream almost everything. For live TV, it's just maybe some Olympics stuff and (cringe-worthy confession) Eurovision, which is always good for some absurdity.

Sadly the government seems to want the BBC funding to be via subscription rather than a licence fee (which is way way cheaper than my Sky TV subscription). I think we'd just end up with wall to wall 'lack-of-talent' contests on TV hosted by 'reality show' stars, ugh! BBC4 took over from BBC2 with 'quality' programmes, now its mainly a repeats channel :( ........ and does anybody actually watch BBC3?
And apart from deliberately starving the BBC of funds through a subscription model the right wing loony "Culture Secretary" (the government clearly has some sense of humour) also wants to privatise CH4. When she appeared before the Select Committee she didn't even know that it was funded through advertising, she thought the government paid for it!! In her appearance before that same committee today she re-stated her "commitment" to the sale being based on retaining public service commitments but dropped the bombshell that such constraints would only be for ten years! She basically just wants the UK to have Netflix. None of that troublesome investigative reporting and calling dumb politicians out thank you very much!

Last edited:
And apart from deliberately starving the BBC of funds through a subscription model the right wing loony "Culture Secretary" (the government clearly has some sense of humour) also wants to privatise CH4. When she appeared before the Select Committee she didn't even know that it was funded through advertising, she thought the government paid for it!! In her appearance before that same committee today she re-stated her "commitment" to the sale being based on retaining public service commitments but dropped the bombshell that such constraints would only be for ten years! She basically just wants the UK to have Netflix. None of that troublesome investigative reporting and calling dumb politicians out thank you very much!

"Stop taking our council seats away from us...also stop reporting about us losing 300 council seats in one fell swoop! waaah!"

What's interesting about the BBC Transcription Service quads based on Soundfield's comment above is that they were specifically mixed and issued for overseas audiences, which I gather means that quad radio broadcasting wasn't a trend over here in the 70's. That leads me to a curious question. Quad was mildly popular in the US (with loads of releases in the 70's and a number of major market radio stations broadcasting in both stereo and quad) and a fair number of German prog/Krautrock bands did quad releases as well (though I have no idea whether quad systems were popular in Germany or if it was just that American's were buying albums in quad, so there was a market), and I know it was popular in Japan. And back in the US, there is currently clearly a strong market for multi-channel recordings on SACD, DVD and Blu Ray. But since moving here (to the UK) I've seen almost no old quad LP's in 2nd hand shops (and the one or two, I recall, were US pressings).
Quad broadcasting was briefly a thing here in the UK. Well, for a year of the BBC's test transmissions in 77-78 at any rate. The BBC probably produced more original quad content than most other world broadcasters put together, covering classical, jazz, pop, and radio drama and documentaries. It's why it actually had material to curate for the Transcription Disc sales. But the whole thing ended with most of the population never ever realising it had ever existed. A lot of those that did, complained it was a waste of licence payers money. But you should understand that Stereo FM had only just come to large parts of the UK and no one outside of a minority of HiFi nuts knew what quad was, let alone had the equipment to decode Matrix H broadcasts. I didn't know anyone else who bothered to try and decode the broadcasts and I worked in the electronics industry!! Even in the wider HiFi community quad was never very popular. It was seen as an expensive gimmick that wouldn't last, rightly as it turned out. The only format that made any slight penetration were SQ lps due to the massive commitment of EMI. Other than that, you'd be hard pushed to find any other software, I don't think I ever saw a QS or CD4 disc in a record shop and tape cartridges were never much of a thing here.

Last edited:
@Cassetto

Well that's quite the diatribe you presented .
And I'll clarify some little things. The KBFH broadcast 4 shows monthly starting in 1975 ,see the attached info with the Aerosmith promos.(RS OCTOBER 09TH ,75) . I think there were two per month prior ,but I could be corrected by someone with more accurate info . So they had The British Biscuit show once per month , recorded in SQ by KBFH ( or possibly the BEEB ).

In Canada there were no quad Concerts ,that I know of , broadcast on the CBC ,but that doesn't mean there were none ever ,as I'm no expert on the CBC Radio FM .
They did however have an SQ quad show consisting mostly of SQ vinyl from Andrew Marshall's own collection ,he was the host btw. And his show commenced surprisingly ....
20220519_184951.jpg
20220519_191301.jpg
the exact same date of the BBC MATRIX H broadcasting, Saturday April 30th .1977.

And yes the BBC Transcriptions did mostly SQ as requested by overseas broadcasting interest . The exception was Chicago WFMT ,who got the 75 or 76 proms in QS . Attached article fr September 75 Sansui 4ch Scene.

Also, my initial comment was largely uninformed by any real exploration of facts. Sorry about that. Looking at the the BBC Transcription Service Pop Spectacular series, there seems to be no overlap with KBFH that I can see, so I was rambling and wasting my time with that thread.

What's interesting about the BBC Transcription Service quads based on Soundfield's comment above is that they were specifically mixed and issued for overseas audiences, which I gather means that quad radio broadcasting wasn't a trend over here in the 70's. That leads me to a curious question. Quad was mildly popular in the US (with loads of releases in the 70's and a number of major market radio stations broadcasting in both stereo and quad) and a fair number of German prog/Krautrock bands did quad releases as well (though I have no idea whether quad systems were popular in Germany or if it was just that American's were buying albums in quad, so there was a market), and I know it was popular in Japan. And back in the US, there is currently clearly a strong market for multi-channel recordings on SACD, DVD and Blu Ray. But since moving here (to the UK) I've seen almost no old quad LP's in 2nd hand shops (and the one or two, I recall, were US pressings). And apart from the stuff coming out of Steven Wilson's studio and Dutton-Vocalion (which both seem to have big followings in the US), I've seen very little quad or 5.1 releases released on UK labels that are sold in shops (and I've not once seen a Dutton release in a retail store, though I get that Dutton doesn't seem to focus on retail). But it's clear that Europe has an audience for surround (the Moody Blues 5.1's came out in the EU, Talking Heads CD/DVD sets are still in print over here). But while a few shops carry the Steven Wilson surround mixes (King Crimson, XTC, whatever's still available and popular), shops tend to look a bit confused when I inquire about surround releases. So, is (or was) multi-channel audio a thing that interests UK listeners anywhere near to the extent that it interests US listeners? I've been to many shops in the US that have expansive separate sections for SACD and DVD/Blu Ray audio...surround and audiophile sections. But shops here just tend to say "we never see that stuff", one owner of a rather large shop with a large section of used CD's simply said he's never gotten anything like that in his shop. Lack of interest over here could explain why, perhaps, a label might be able to issue fairly dubious "surround" releases without much criticism. But I'm just not clear whether or not there is measurable interest in surround in the UK. I would love to see some of the major releases in boxed sets (Beatles, Pink Floyd, solo Beatles) generate more interest and more releases. But I'm uncertain whether what I'm seeing isn't just a coincidence of the particular shops I've gone into (which are many) or whether it is indicative of a difference in interest over here.

Please, anyone from the UK, do not misread this as disparagement of the UK, it is only my own curiosity based on my experience as a resident of the UK for only the past few years. I accept that I may be completely clueless here. I also accept that this may look like a sprawling mess of a comment.
When I was an undergraduate student in Cardiff '76-'79 there was one shop (Spiller's the oldest record shop in the world, still exists!) which had a very small Quad section mainly CD4 (which I couldn't afford to have, although I did buy a Shure M24H), when I went home I had to specifically order SQ LPs from my local record shop (I was studying Electronics so I built my own decoder), it never really took off over here, though a relation back in Scotland did have a large collection of Quad classical.

Last edited:
I just checked TV licence for all free-to-view about £13 per month, Sky Q + Mini-box, Netflix & Disney+ for £73 per month!

The BBC receives no funding from the government, it is funded by a licence fee.
Not entirely true, the BBC World Service receives some direct government funding. But the World Service is not intended for UK consumption, although some of its output is available in the UK.

Yes I believe you but the stereo portion would be stereo only not surround .
Too bad they weren't. Might of sold more DVDA'S .
Read the label:

DVD-label.png

This means the stereo part of the DVD is encoded in matrix Dolby Surround.

Silverline disc's contains a 5.1 mix only. The DVD player outputs an encoded version if set to 2.0 for playback!
Yes, that's a standard feature of DD 5.1 it has a downmix to Dolby Surround as part of the design. I don't know how well or badly that works however.

Back