HiRez Poll Keane - HOPES AND FEARS [SACD/DualDisc DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A of Keane - HOPES AND FEARS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

I have the Dual disc of this and find the plesent and reflective of the kind of music that this is. From a three piece band with no guitars You would not expect a yoshimi style mix.
A nice selection of Videos complete the package.

The Music is good in the Coldplay, Travis style Nice disc. :banana:

No compatibility problems with either my CD or DVD players.

One for the board should I mark this as I own the dual disc and not the SACD

Thanks Fletch, I added the DualDisc to the title!

Just voted now thanks Jon for clearing up the confusion. Gave it a 9 The sound quality is good the packaging great the video's a bonus the Mix sympathetic to the music a subtle but discrete mix

rusinurbe said:
Just voted now thanks Jon for clearing up the confusion. Gave it a 9 The sound quality is good the packaging great the video's a bonus the Mix sympathetic to the music a subtle but discrete mix

Fletch

Where did you get it _ having trouble with my usual importer!

PC

I like the mastering and, for the most part, the surround mix.

However, I wish that vocals would have been placed primarily into the left/right speakers instead of primarily into the center speaker. At least there's enough music going around that it doesn't bother me that much. (I suppose I should give Nathaniel Kunkel credit for making this technique sound half-decent---as he has done so before. Many times I just can't stand to hear vocals coming from the center channel, but this I can tolerate.)

I really like the music, too, which I'm sure helps to make this a worthwhile purchase.

I thought the surround mix wasn't very good. The vocals seem to come from every channel and all the instruments seem to echo from the rears. It gives it a very loose echoey sound. The songs themselves are pretty good though.

I love this band. This album is full of great chillout music and the DVD-A really brings out the warmth in the recording. The surround mix is pretty subtle but it does throw a few surprises. I give it an 8.

I like this one having bought the DualDisc as a blind buy and think the music is great and the group very competent. The surround mix works well for me. Overall a 9, one of my favorites.

Chris

Three words: Sounds like Coldplay.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, I like Coldplay. But do we really need more than one band that sounds like Coldplay? I think not.

Keane's music sounds overly one-dimensional, even more so than the band they so obviously compare to. Keane has potential but they need to differentiate themselves. I also think they have a similar sound to a much greater band: Badfinger. However, Keane lacks the incredible harmonies that Badfinger brought to the table. With a single vocalist carrying the weight, how could they? Well, they should. Add some incredible vocal harmonies to the Keane formula and you'd have a winner, I would say.

As it stands, they're barely above a yawn. Technically, they are quite good, but their delivery lacks diversity and inspiration. The surround mix is about as generic as you can get. All in all a wholly average, if somewhat enjoyable, effort. I give it a 6.

Cai Campbell said:
Three words: Sounds like Coldplay.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, I like Coldplay. But do we really need more than one band that sounds like Coldplay? I think not.

Keane's music sounds overly one-dimensional, even more so than the band they so obviously compare to. Keane has potential but they need to differentiate themselves. I also think they have a similar sound to a much greater band: Badfinger. However, Keane lacks the incredible harmonies that Badfinger brought to the table. With a single vocalist carrying the weight, how could they? Well, they should. Add some incredible vocal harmonies to the Keane formula and you'd have a winner, I would say.

As it stands, they're barely above a yawn. Technically, they are quite good, but their delivery lacks diversity and inspiration. The surround mix is about as generic as you can get. All in all a wholly average, if somewhat enjoyable, effort. I give it a 6.

I don't recall ever hearing anything by Keane, much less Coldplay before buying this DualDisc. Since I am 54, my music tastes are different than many surround music enthusiasts here but I don't think this album or these songs require vocal harmonies and I do remember Badfinger really well. Badfinger was a pretty good group but Keane is much better in my opinion. This album is the best blind buy ever for me. The lead singer is a very competent rock singer.

Chris

This was another of those "I'm gonna buy this disc because it's surround" purchases for me. I didn't much like the music or the mix and the lead singers voice grates on me after a while. I find them to be quite boring. But then again, I don't like much of the Coldplay/Keane genre of music. Even after a couple of extra listens Keane just bugs me. I give it a 4. I would have given it a lower score but they should get points for giving it a go I suppose.

Chris Gerhard said:
I don't recall ever hearing anything by Keane, much less Coldplay before buying this DualDisc. Since I am 54, my music tastes are different than many surround music enthusiasts here but I don't think this album or these songs require vocal harmonies and I do remember Badfinger really well. Badfinger was a pretty good group but Keane is much better in my opinion. This album is the best blind buy ever for me. The lead singer is a very competent rock singer.

Chris
As usual with this stuff, your mileage may vary. I'm totally happy that you and others really dig this band. I can only speak for myself and voice my own opinion.

I just got the dual disc of this title from Yourmusic.com for $6.99. Can't beat the price and I like the hit on here, "Somewhere Only We Know." I happen to have an 18 year old son who has gotten me hooked on alternative artists even though I grew up with 70's artists. If you like the hit song you should like the album because their style does not have a whole lot of range, but it's enjoyable.
I have some technical problems with the videos on this disc. The audio levels flucuate, dropping and then rising again in certain parts of the song. Sounds like someone turning the volume up and down in the middle of the song. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I may return it and see if another copy plays better. The songs themselves don't have this issue, but the videos are a real mess w/ the varying audio levels.

I unfortunately received the BAD version of the dualdisc, as noted in

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9379&highlight=keane

:flame:flame:flame

The Surround has volume dips on most of the disc , making it unlistenable, at least for me...and I got it on ebay and I suspect that I won't get a refund or anything....oh well

Questions;
Is there a way to know if it got released correctly and if so, how do you tell them apart????

Well, they definitely must have quality control issues with this one. As I mentioned, on my first copy all of the audio-only songs are just fine. It's only in some of the videos that the volume drops up and down. They did send me a new replacement copy. I'd better play that one before I get rid of the other one. It may be worse than the first. I'll give it a listen and let you know if the audio flucuation is solved on this one.

Back