kempfand's Adobe Audition 3.0 SQ and QS Scripts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to this forum, and just have gotten my first surround system about 6 months ago. I have quite a few surround mixes on various media such as DVD-A, SACD and Blu-ray. I have pretty much ripped those to my HDD and am listening to surround music via HDD through my Oppo 105.

One of my favorite albums is Santana's Borboletta. This Quadrophonic mix was not yet officially released on digital media such as SACD, as far as I know.

I do have a very nice NEAR MINT vinyl copy of this album of the Quadrophonic version. I did record this to 24/96, and now I am trying to decode it into a Quadrophonic mix on my computer. I do have Adobe Audition 3.0, and I found this thread, so I am just getting started with this process.

Great thread and forum. Thanks!

I am new to this forum, and just have gotten my first surround system about 6 months ago. I have quite a few surround mixes on various media such as DVD-A, SACD and Blu-ray. I have pretty much ripped those to my HDD and am listening to surround music via HDD through my Oppo 105.

One of my favorite albums is Santana's Borboletta. This Quadrophonic mix was not yet officially released on digital media such as SACD, as far as I know.

I do have a very nice NEAR MINT vinyl copy of this album of the Quadrophonic version. I did record this to 24/96, and now I am trying to decode it into a Quadrophonic mix on my computer. I do have Adobe Audition 3.0, and I found this thread, so I am just getting started with this process.

Great thread and forum. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!

Please detail your gear (signal flow) and any processing in your transfers if you have the time. We love hearing about that stuff.

I have a Rega RP6 turntable with Ortofon 2M Black cartridge (fairly new, just broken in) and a Rega Fono MM preamp.

I do record with my Korg MR-2 recorder in 24/96. I edit the files in Adobe Audition. After conversion, I will use a very minor setting using Click Repair.

For my audio system I have a Cambridge CXR 200 A/V receiver and an OPPO 105 EU.

My speakers are KEF. Front L/R are iQ90, Rear L/R are iQ30 and Center is iQ60c. I originally had the iQ90 for my stereo system and found matching speaker to turn it into a surround system.

I noticed that in order for my Oppo player to correctly play back Quad files via HDD, I need to add "empty" Center and LFE channels so that the Oppo "sees" a 5.1 signal. I change the channel oritentation using Audacity.

I have a Rega RP6 turntable with Ortofon 2M Black cartridge (fairly new, just broken in) and a Rega Fono MM preamp.

I do record with my Korg MR-2 recorder in 24/96. I edit the files in Adobe Audition. After conversion, I will use a very minor setting using Click Repair.

For my audio system I have a Cambridge CXR 200 A/V receiver and an OPPO 105 EU.

My speakers are KEF. Front L/R are iQ90, Rear L/R are iQ30 and Center is iQ60c. I originally had the iQ90 for my stereo system and found matching speaker to turn it into a surround system.

I noticed that in order for my Oppo player to correctly play back Quad files via HDD, I need to add "empty" Center and LFE channels so that the Oppo "sees" a 5.1 signal. I change the channel oritentation using Audacity.
Thanks for the info.
I seem to remember a Setup setting in the Oppo that would allow for playing the pure Quad files. You might want to dig through your manual, or perhaps it’s the Cambridge receiver.
Are you using flac file type, and do you hook the Oppo up via analog or HDMI?

Yes, I am using FLAC files (or DSF files for DSD) and HDMI to my Cambridge from the Oppo.

For Surround music, I have a small HDD hooked up directly to the Oppo via the USB input.

For my other (stereo) music, I am using a USB bridge going into my Oppo and the software VOLUMIO.

Whilst developing the shadow vector hardware decoder I found test waveform files to be invaluable in determining correct operation. I particular, the single linear sweep of a tone panning around from center front through RF, R, RB, CB, LB, L, LF back to center front was extremely useful. Whilst fixed tones at defined locations are great, the continuous rotation showed up anomalies that could be missed.
Here is a decode using the kempfand script. I'm pretty sure the test can be used to improve any decode scripts.
kempfand.jpg

Hi Malcolm,

I have used your test tone wave generator to generate SQ tones to test a software demodulator and I am not seeing clean decodes. I have used my own tones and ones from Quadrafile, they both decode well but yours seem to have an issue with the rear channels. I have attached links to all three tones and the resultant decode for your perusal.

Here is the output from the tone generator:

TestToneWaveGen SQ 96000 24 8 45 1000

LeftRight
ToneAmplitudePhaseAmplitudePhase
0​
0.7071​
90​
0.7071​
90​
1​
0​
0​
1​
90​
2​
0.3827​
0​
0.9239​
90​
3​
0.7071​
0​
0.7071​
90​
4​
0.7071​
0​
0.7071​
-180​
5​
0.7071​
0​
0.7071​
-90​
6​
0.9239​
0​
0.3827​
-90​
7​
1​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0.7071​
90​
0.7071​
90​

The phase for Front Centre seems incorrect, as does Front Right. Front left seems fine.

Links to Source and decoded files

Decoded Tones:

https://mega.nz/file/c0wVVahL#FmI1JFUXHFBmPdQe6RmrYkVlTbVeVwNT7HdLqJSoEww
Source Tones:

https://mega.nz/file/J1ASVRrA#gjpF28vnxdv0hzc9KOeoPwTEP9scWqasJSiTqhAhdVo
Thanks

Malcolm

Last edited:
Hi Malcolm,
Yes, those output phase figures are just a way the program generates the phase differences between the two channels. The method chosen was one of the few ways that allowed the creation of a single tone sweep around the entire power sphere loci. The important consideration is the absolute phase/amplitude difference between the channels which is correct. However I'll look into and implement a more balanced left/right phase report from the program.
Cheers,
Malcolm

Ah, just looked at the decode, very interesting !!! I've an idea what's going on, and will perform a test decode myself this evening. Thanks for doing this test ))

The generated waveform you provided is incorrect in that has only 6 tones (7 if you include the repeated front) which very odd. Here the program performs correctly (win7 32 bit) and creates 8 (9 with the repeated front).
Here is the latest version with only minor changes. Could you try this??

Attachments

• TestToneWaveGenV116.zip
    38.9 KB · Views: 109
OK, puzzle solved. I saw a hint of this a few weeks back and thought a file had somehow got corrupted. However its stranger than that.....

Back