kempfand's Adobe Audition 3.0 SQ and QS Scripts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the tones decoded using the shadow vector method.
TestTones_SQ__Pos=8___F=1000Hz SV.jpg

So whats going on?? The only thing that came to mind is its been created digitally and has absolutely perfect phase amplitude relationships. Considering this possibility, I brought the left channel down by just 0.1db. Center front works but not center back.
TestTones_SQ__Pos=8___F=1000Hz KS Amp.jpg

OK then keep the correct amplitude but shift the phase slightly by cutting a sample at the start on the left channel. Now as I suspected center front didn't work but center back did.
TestTones_SQ__Pos=8___F=1000Hz KS Phase.jpg

Last edited:
The question now is whats going on with the script. I do seem to remember a while back someone mentioning a decode fail using test tones. Could it be center extract cannot work properly with two perfectly balanced channels, not knowing how the script works, I cannot say.

Last edited:
The question this raises is whats really going on here with the script. I seem to remember a while back someone mentioning a decode fail using test tones. Could it be center extract cannot work properly with two perfectly balanced channels, not knowing how the script works, I cannot say.

Not sure how helpful this would be, but here is a very old thread about SQ decoding:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/pc-based-sq-decoding-almost-done.4633/

Here's a decode of the Quadrafile tones, and yes the imperfection allows all tones to be decoded. You can see the rears are slightly low as is left front. Also quite a bit of noise.
Quadrafile SQ Test Tones K.jpg

Lastly a decode of the 'SQ Digital Test Tones 24-96.wav' file. Again like mine, center front is too accurate for the AA3 Kempfand script. Also center rear is 'on the edge' and is quite unstable.
SQ  Digital Test Tones 24-96 KS.jpg

This is odd, I would have expected the accurate tones to make decoding easier for the script. The script I use has no issue at all with the digital or Quadrafile test tones, the Quadrafile ones are noisier and not as accurately decoded, but that is to be expected. I will investigate further.

Quadrafile Tones.PNG

Decoded Quadrafile tones

Those decodes look very good. I've been using Adobe Audition 3.1 with OD's 'SQ Plus.scp' and Kempfand's newer script 'SQ_dec_AA3_v3.scp'

SQ Plus is very old, after that OD made SQ Final available. There was also an SQ script a couple of years ago from The Auroran, and I think enough time has passed for me to confirm that was OD as some people suspected. That makes the Auroran script the most recent SQ one available from OD.

Thanks for the confirmation Owen, I suspected that was the case. I've located the SQ-Final and will give that a go. Is the Auroran script available anywhere?

Hi,

Auroran script:

So it appears that the SQ Final script can decode the file (I have not tried it as I don't have it) but the Auroran script has issues with your test tones, very odd. The Auroran script decodes my test tones and Quadrafile but not yours.

Can you attach a copy of SQ Final so I can test please.

Attachments

• Auroran SQ Decoder.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Back