kempfand's Adobe Audition 3.0 SQ and QS Scripts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the scripts mentioned here ONLY work on Audition 3.0?? Does Audition 3.0 work on a Windows 7 or 10 PC? Thanks and please direct me somewhere if this has been answered already.

Do the scripts mentioned here ONLY work on Audition 3.0?? Does Audition 3.0 work on a Windows 7 or 10 PC? Thanks and please direct me somewhere if this has been answered already.
I have personally used AA 3 on Win XP up to & including Win 10. It works just fine!

Edit: Yes these scripts are specific for Adobe Audition.

Last edited:
Thank you for replying. Are the scripts specific ONLY to AA3 ?

I thought I mentioned that before. Yes these scripts work only with Adobe Audition 3.

Here's why. A script file is nothing more than a text file that the audio editor understands & takes directions from. In AA3 a short section of a waveform is selected and then you manually go through the various steps you want to automate. This is called "recording" a script. When finished you save the script with a name that makes sense & then process your audio files as needed using batch processing.

So, the script is created 100% within AA 3 using VST's & functions that are available in the app. It won't function in any other audio editor. Oh, and another secondary reason is the seperation enhancement of the decoded material relies on the Center Channel Elimanator function in AA 3. I have never seen anything exactly like it in any other audio editor.

I thought I mentioned that before. Yes these scripts work only with Adobe Audition 3.

Here's why. A script file is nothing more than a text file that the audio editor understands & takes directions from. In AA3 a short section of a waveform is selected and then you manually go through the various steps you want to automate. This is called "recording" a script. When finished you save the script with a name that makes sense & then process your audio files as needed using batch processing.

So, the script is created 100% within AA 3 using VST's & functions that are available in the app. It won't function in any other audio editor. Oh, and another secondary reason is the seperation enhancement of the decoded material relies on the Center Channel Elimanator function in AA 3. I have never seen anything exactly like it in any other audio editor.

Thanks for this. I have been using this SQ decoding scripts since 2008. I was hoping that the AA3 script might work with a later version of Audition (CS 5.5), for instance. My older PC (Windows XP) with all my quad related scripts, software etc is about to die. I will need to replace it with something newer (Windows 7 machine). I have the Delta M-Audio 1010LT card installed and there are no drivers (not yet anyway) for Windows 10 or 11. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for this. I have been using this SQ decoding scripts since 2008. I was hoping that the AA3 script might work with a later version of Audition (CS 5.5), for instance. My older PC (Windows XP) with all my quad related scripts, software etc is about to die. I will need to replace it with something newer (Windows 7 machine). I have the Delta M-Audio 1010LT card installed and there are no drivers (not yet anyway) for Windows 10 or 11. Thanks again for your help.
If there aren't any Windows 10 drivers for your card by now there probably never will be, Windows 10 is more than half way through its life.

I didn't mean to state the obvious... I just didn't know your level of experience which seems considerable. Like you I have a Delta 1010 (not LT) matched with Win 7. I know AA3 works with Win 10 but have never tried the Delta 1010 with anything newer than 7. It seems the great Win Driver Divide started with Vista. And in general if stuff works with Vista it will work with newer OS. Like @Owen Smith said there will never be drivers for our sound cards. But if it works with Vista it might work with those beyond.

I didn't mean to state the obvious... I just didn't know your level of experience which seems considerable. Like you I have a Delta 1010 (not LT) matched with Win 7. I know AA3 works with Win 10 but have never tried the Delta 1010 with anything newer than 7. It seems the great Win Driver Divide started with Vista. And in general if stuff works with Vista it will work with newer OS. Like @Owen Smith said there will never be drivers for our sound cards. But if it works with Vista it might work with those beyond.
Vista and Windows 7 are completely compatible for drivers. Before that XP drivers are different. After that Windows 8 onwards drivers are different, but I've lost track of if drivers changed incompatibly again for Windows 10 and I don't know anything about Windows 11.

All of these scripts will only work with AA3. Even though it is an ancient program, what you need to do is make sure you use it in "compatibility mode", and that will usually fix any buggy stuff that might be happening. The new versions of Audition are very different, and also sound a bit different as well when you start using all the plug ins for this and that. Presently, Audition seems optimized for faster processing and compatibility inside the whole Adobe creative suite (premiere especially). Things are way more centered around video processing these days, and AA3 was more audio centric. Whatever the case, I have it working on a Windows 10 laptop and it's working fine.
Good luck!

All of these scripts will only work with AA3. Even though it is an ancient program, what you need to do is make sure you use it in "compatibility mode", and that will usually fix any buggy stuff that might be happening. The new versions of Audition are very different, and also sound a bit different as well when you start using all the plug ins for this and that. Presently, Audition seems optimized for faster processing and compatibility inside the whole Adobe creative suite (premiere especially). Things are way more centered around video processing these days, and AA3 was more audio centric. Whatever the case, I have it working on a Windows 10 laptop and it's working fine.
Good luck!
Thank you for clarifying this. I really need both the card, software (AA3), and scripts to work together. I will be planning my migration from my 2003 XP machine to a used Dell Windows 7 machine very soon. Not sure how much longer that computer's internal components and mother board will hold-up. Wish me luck. lol!

Thank you for clarifying this. I really need both the card, software (AA3), and scripts to work together. I will be planning my migration from my 2003 XP machine to a used Dell Windows 7 machine very soon. Not sure how much longer that computer's internal components and mother board will hold-up. Wish me luck. lol!
Yes, best of luck. My approach is to inherit relatives laptops when they upgrade. Most of the programs I like to use for music things are way old anyway! Anyway, don't forget about using "compatibility mode" with the newer computer. You should be able to get it to work fine without too much effort.

Hi,

Auroran script:

So it appears that the SQ Final script can decode the file (I have not tried it as I don't have it) but the Auroran script has issues with your test tones, very odd. The Auroran script decodes my test tones and Quadrafile but not yours.

Can you attach a copy of SQ Final so I can test please.
so how did your Final vs Auroran test pan out?

These are my findings on OD's SQ Final script:
The script is done on my PC and I transfer the files to Logic on my Mac Mini which is where these screen captures are from.
The SQ Test tones are as follows C-Lf-Lc-Lr-Cr-Rr-Rc-Rf and, correct me if I am wrong, the Lc and Rc are supposed to be LEFT CENTER and RIGHT CENTER, which I think means at 9 and 3 o'clock respectively... I see that these are the least discrete because of the matrix limitations, they do not reach all the way to the left nor right but they are there...
So here we go...
Center:
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.47.28 PM.png

LEFT FRONT:
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.47.34 PM.png

Left CENTER:
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.47.55 PM.png

Left REAR:
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.48.01 PM.png

CENTER REAR (which I thought was NOT ALLOWED for SQ but I have heard on many discrete mixes on SACD and Q8s):
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.48.07 PM.png

Right REAR:
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.48.12 PM.png

RIGHT CENTER:
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.48.17 PM.png

RIGHT FRONT:
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.48.22 PM.png

and , now I will try Auroran's and will post my results...

These are my findings on OD's SQ Final script:
The script is done on my PC and I transfer the files to Logic on my Mac Mini which is where these screen captures are from.
The SQ Test tones are as follows C-Lf-Lc-Lr-Cr-Rr-Rc-Rf and, correct me if I am wrong, the Lc and Rc are supposed to be LEFT CENTER and RIGHT CENTER, which I think means at 9 and 3 o'clock respectively... I see that these are the least discrete because of the matrix limitations, they do not reach all the way to the left nor right but they are there...
So here we go...
Center:
View attachment 83018

LEFT FRONT:
View attachment 83019

Left CENTER:
View attachment 83020

Left REAR:
View attachment 83021

CENTER REAR (which I thought was NOT ALLOWED for SQ but I have heard on many discrete mixes on SACD and Q8s):
View attachment 83022

Right REAR:
View attachment 83023

RIGHT CENTER:
View attachment 83024

RIGHT FRONT:
View attachment 83025

and , now I will try Auroran's and will post my results...
If oddities persist do remember it may not be your decoding. SQ had well known irregularities decoding when using basic SQ encoding. This is why CBS had basic, Forward Oriented and Backward Oriented encoding schemes to compensate for this. You are most likely using pair wise mix of basic SQ encoding & that's where I think these glitches pop up when trying to do close analysis with test tones.

If oddities persist do remember it may not be your decoding. SQ had well known irregularities decoding when using basic SQ encoding. This is why CBS had basic, Forward Oriented and Backward Oriented encoding schemes to compensate for this. You are most likely using pair wise mix of basic SQ encoding & that's where I think these glitches pop up when trying to do close analysis with test tones.
I am aware that SQ is the least favorite matrix system and maybe that is why I like it ... as it is, software decoding has always yielded excellent results from my point of view, like I have pointed many times, my early decodes of Santana's 1st LP -which almost rivaled the DV SACD of the discrete master and Caravanserai, which is the next big release from Sony Japan- are awesome...I will EVENTUALLY get a SMaster...
So , I decoded the SQ Tones using the Auroran SQ Script, and to be honest, it yielded basically the same results as the last OD script from 2013(?)...here are my screen captures and comparisons with OD's script: please DO chime in!
Overall OD's scripts are a bit more discrete on most tones...here we go

Center Auroran's:
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.52.53 PM.png

and OD's, slightly better with less cross talk:
78481-Screen-Shot-2022-09-02-at-3.47.28-PM.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LFront Auroran's:
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.52.57 PM.png

and OD's, also slightly better:
78482-Screen-Shot-2022-09-02-at-3.47.34-PM.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auroran's L Center with a bit of a skewed angle distance than OD's script
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.53.02 PM.png

and OD's more centered image:
78483-Screen-Shot-2022-09-02-at-3.47.55-PM.png

Auroran's LRear which curiously enough I think is a bit cleaner than OD's:
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.53.07 PM.png

and OD's with a bit more crosstalk:
78484-Screen-Shot-2022-09-02-at-3.48.01-PM.png

Auroran's CENTER REAR
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.53.12 PM.png

and OD's:
78485-Screen-Shot-2022-09-02-at-3.48.07-PM.png

Auroran's Right Rear:
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.53.20 PM.png

and OD's:
78486-Screen-Shot-2022-09-02-at-3.48.12-PM.png

Auroran's Right Center
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.53.24 PM.png

and OD's;
78487-Screen-Shot-2022-09-02-at-3.48.17-PM.png

aaaaaaaand Auroran's Right Front which is the OTHER winner, slightly better imaging than OD's
Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 12.53.29 PM.png

and OD's:
78488-Screen-Shot-2022-09-02-at-3.48.22-PM.png

Let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:
Auroran is supposed to leave less phase mess in the decoded results, especially one of the rears. But all people look at usually is levels. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your results, on the contrary they're some of the clearest I've seen. But they're not the complete picture unless something in them shows phase that I've not understood.

Auroran is supposed to leave less phase mess in the decoded results, especially one of the rears. But all people look at usually is levels. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your results, on the contrary they're some of the clearest I've seen. But they're not the complete picture unless something in them shows phase that I've not understood.
Oh, I totally agree with you, you can see it in the Master Volume, on the "walls" of the "house" the phase issues compared to the overall volume on the meters...SQ IS a strange beast indeed..

Back