kempfand's Adobe Audition 3.0 SQ and QS Scripts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kempfand

Since 2002/2003
I have updated the SQ and QS scripts to run with Audition 3.

Have also adjusted the small guides / walk-through I created before.

Enjoy,

Andreas

Attachments

• _ Audition_3_Scripts_-_kempfand.zip
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,149
Kempfand, this is great thanks for updating them. I will give it a run next weekend.

Many thanks for providing the scripts - the results are awesome!
The first thing I tested (and eventually finished) was the SQ broadcast of Genesis live in Chicago 1978 and it went very well, although the sources were 30 years old cassette tapes. The next thing was Mike Oldfield's Boxed - I was lucky to get a copy of the initial CD release and it was a fantastic experience to hear my favourite Ommadawn album in surround for the first time. Especially the direct comparison between the Tubular Bells SACD (for which the Quad master tape was used) with the result of the AA-script were very impressive. The channel separation is almost identical, so the difference is far from being huge.

The only thing I had to notice while I processed the files through Cedar Cambridge's Phase Corrector (left front channel being the master) was a quite stable phase error of -135 microseconds of the left surround and some +30 microseconds of the right surround channel. At first I thought it was an issue of the Genesis cassette tape, but the error was identical on the Mike Oldfield files. 135 microseconds in particular is quite a huge error and it may cause comb filter effects and partial cancellation of certain frequencies, so I'm wondering how to avoid it.

tom

Firstly, congrats due to Andreas for the script. It is seriously fast taking just 3 hours from start to completion on a 38 minute file.
Nice one.

Secondly.
Tom - I don't understand your point here as I am unfamiliar with that piece of equipment.
Why is the Left Front being taken as a master as opposed to say the Right Front?
Why not the front pair - surely this would be more accurate?
As I said though, I am not familiar with this so probably just don't understand.
135 microseconds will not produce any audible artefacts - we're talking just 135 millionths of a second here.
If it really worries you, correct it using your DAW & delay/advance the files.
With music, you also need to remember that your loudspeakers will introduce a phase discrepancy greater than this between woofer & tweeter.

Neil, thanks for answering.
Why is the Left Front being taken as a master as opposed to say the Right Front?
Why not the front pair - surely this would be more accurate?
You can only choose one channel as master, which one is irrelevant as it corrects the differences caused by timing errors - and quite often there's an error between the front channels too.
As I said though, I am not familiar with this so probably just don't understand.
135 microseconds will not produce any audible artefacts - we're talking just 135 millionths of a second here.
Though the value seems to be quite small, it may cause audible effects. "The resulting distortion of the phase relationships between the signals and the consequent filtering effect cause many problems including loss of high frequencies, muddy bass, poor mono compatibility, and a general smearing of the image. Worse still, if the timing error is not constant, you can hear a flanging effect." (Cedar Audio about CAM9 Phase Corrector)
A timing error of 0.0001 sec (100 microseconds) cancels a 5 kHz tone, because the shifting is exactly half as long as it's wavelength (well I better say it sets a 5 kHz tone out-of-phase, as we still hear it from different speakers). Actually Cedar corrects errors with a resolution of 0.1 microseconds. And believe me, from 10-15 microseconds upwards you can already hear the difference.
If it really worries you, correct it using your DAW & delay/advance the files.
Well, you can't set delays shorter than samples and you are forced to use this grid then. It's not my problem anyway as I use Cedar's Phase Corrector - but as the error obviously gets introduced by the processing, I only wondered if there's a way to avoid it.
By the way, AA3 introduced a phase correction plugin which seems to be not as sophisticated as Cedar's but maybe it would work here. I haven't had the time to test it yet but maybe it could be worthwhile to integrate it into the script using the error values I measured.
With music, you also need to remember that your loudspeakers will introduce a phase discrepancy greater than this between woofer & tweeter.
True, but it's the small differences that produce the most awful comb filter cancellations - and you would not be able to get rid of the error by buying better speakers then.;)

tom

Hi Kempfand, I think there is an error in your QS-script. After decoding the Ls - Rs pair are in opposite phase. They should be in phase, though. Could you have a look at the script, I tried, but I can't read it. Regards.

Hi Kempfand, I think there is an error in your QS-script. After decoding the Ls - Rs pair are in opposite phase. They should be in phase, though. Could you have a look at the script, I tried, but I can't read it. Regards.

Oops, hold on, I think I made a mistake myself.

Oops, hold on, I think I made a mistake myself.

No, I am convinced. The basic QS decoding does treat the phase of the rear channels correctly, (I mean they are in phase, allthough both of them should be inverted in respect to the front channels), but the expansion of the channel separation puts the rear pair in opposite phase.

Last edited:
having trouble using decoding scripts for QS and SQ for AA 3.0.

Also, is there a way to get the left half of QS and the right half of SQ to work together?
I have all kinds of radio-station 4-2-4 generic matrix tapes that, when put to a scope, give 90-degrees out left and 90-out right.
which is half of one and half of the other, as one gives 180-out left and 90-out right, and the other is vice-versa.

So, although you couldn't have 180-out left and 180-out right because they'd be in the same space, you COULD have it the other way.

It would be nice if you could write a script to decode 90-90 phase instead of the usual various flavors of 90-180.

When running QS script I see one channel gets clipped. Is it normal?

Thanks

Under `Options' My Adobe Audition 3.0 only has:

Loop Play Mode
Timed Record Mode
Midi Trigger Enable
Synchronize Cursor Across Windows
Windows Recording Mixer
Start Default Windows CD Player
Preroll and Postroll Options

However I DID find a `Script' button when I clicked on `Show Buttons' it's next to the blue bubble with the question mark in it
but when I click on the script and select "QS_03_high" it honks at me and says Script Stopped whether I have the file loaded in it or not. What step(s) am I missing?

Usually the script stops if -
1) you don't have the script edited to show the proper location of the folder and file name in both places in the script.

Collection: QS_dec_AA3_v1_
Title: QS_03_high
Description:
Mode: 1
Undo: 0

cmd: Channel Both

cmd: Command 1100
1: e:\QStest\LF Rs.wav
2:

Selected: 0 to 518400000 SR 96000
Freq: Off
Comment: Stereo Imagery\Channel Mixer
cmd: {EA93BBBE-0B8F-47D6-AC6D-B67B456D6843}
1: 24,Ð㶀Ęäq€ëåÁ“ùßÐ㶀ëåÁ
2:
3: 6
4: 0
5: 0
6: 2012696
7: 0
8: 0
9: 0
10: 1

cmd: Channel Right

cmd: Command 3100

Comment: Stereo Imagery\Center Channel Extractor
cmd: {EA93BBBE-0B8F-47D6-AC6D-B67B45747845}
1: 68,AAÁ€AAÁ€Ďčč}AAAÛÚÚAAAAAAAAćxyAAÁ€AAA€AAA€AAA€Ôđ*~Ž¯´€ëåÁëåÁķBą~
2:
3: 17
6: 177614080

cmd: Channel Right

2:
6: 177628944

cmd: Command 1100
1: e:\QStest\Ls RF.wav
2:

Selected: 0 to 518400000 SR 96000
Comment: Stereo Imagery\Channel Mixer
cmd: {EA93BBBE-0B8F-47D6-AC6D-B67B456D6843}
1: 24,Ð㶀“ùßëåÁĘäq€Ð㶀ëåÁ
2:
3: 6
6: 238689896

cmd: Channel Left

2:
6: 177730144

cmd: Channel Left

2) You are missing one of the components to run the script (i.e the graphic phase shifter). This probably is not the case with the QS script but it has happened to me with the SQ script.

3) Not 100% sure if it matters but I believe that the scripts are set up to use 96kHz files. It may stop if you are using something else.

Hope this helps you.

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for this, its greatly appreciated the time and effort that you guys have clearly put into the work here.

Just wondering is there anyweher i can get a free copy of adobe auditions or would i have to go to adobe site and pay for it?

thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for this, its greatly appreciated the time and effort that you guys have clearly put into the work here.

Just wondering is there anyweher i can get a free copy of adobe auditions or would i have to go to adobe site and pay for it?

thanks

All Adobe software is available for free as a 30-day, fully functional demo. Just go to adobe.com .

No, I am convinced. The basic QS decoding does treat the phase of the rear channels correctly, (I mean they are in phase, allthough both of them should be inverted in respect to the front channels), but the expansion of the channel separation puts the rear pair in opposite phase.

If this is correct, what steps should be taken to correct it after decoding?

For German speaking people, who have problems running AU 3.0 SQ decoding please contact me to get a step for step instruction for the German AU Version.

The procedure with AU 3.0 ist different to the older one's.
The QS Version I'd not tested yet.
Does it work well?

Friedel

It does work well. I just decoded Carole King's "Music" from QS-encoded CD, and it came out very nice.

Regarding the rear-channel out-of-phase condition, I tried an experiment last night. I took the Ls and Rs channels and pasted them into a new stereo WAV, then used the Invert command to turn them 180 degrees. This seemed to result in a much more robust stereo image in the back pair, and a new DTS disc burning using these inverted channels sounds fuller too, so I think Arconada's thoughts on this are correct.

Back