Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band – The Traveler Blu-ray Pure Audio w/Atmos and 5.1 mix out on 8/30 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the KWS BD waiting for me when I arrived home. First listen, it's a fun mix. Lots of movement on guitar placement and panning around the room. First song was conservative, but much more interesting the next couple of songs. Can't speak to the Atmos (not set up for that ... yet), but I'm playing the 5.1 in 5.1 DTS-MA 24/48. Enjoying it so far!

Well, this is a tempting impulse buy. I’m going to try and hold off until some reviews appear in this thread. Try. I’m going to try.

While Googling for reviews I stumbled on the article excerpted below. I didn’t notice it above but admit to have skimmed the thread. I recommend the whole article but if this doesn’t whet the aural appetite, I don’t know what will.

The main thing in any mixing is to keep the focus on the song,” continues Thorngren. “Michael and I placed the band as if in a circle around the listener, so [the listener feels] like they are sitting in the band—which also happens to be the best way to rehearse and learn songs as a band, I think—so that makes musical sense, too, for the presentation of the music. Atmos opens up all these possibilities that could never be achieved in stereo.

(...)

I am especially enthusiastic about the possibilities of immersive audio in music-only releases, expanding the palette of creativity that artists can use to express themselves. The Dolby Atmos system offers so many possibilities for surrounding the listener and creating a unique experience. I look forward to working with other artists and record labels bringing this level of listening and creative possibilities to the world.

Source: ProSoundNetwork

Last edited:
Arrived this afternoon...gave it a full listen. As I’m not equipped with Atmos, I checked out the DTSHD MA 24/48 5.1 mix. As one would expect from E.T Thorngren, whose high water mark was the Talking Heads Brick set, it’s an excellent, discrete mix. This is fairly straight forward Blues Rock so the sound stage is vocals, drums, bass and guitars up front with horns, keys, additional guitars/solos and room in the rears. There’s some fun panning with guitar solos - all in all, a satisfactory purchase. Nothing groundbreaking musically, so if you like Kenny Wayne Shepherd and the like, you’ll be happy. While it’s cool that he covers Buffalo Springfield’s “Mr. Soul” and Joe Walsh’s “Turn To Stone,” they are workmanlike - not relevatory. The playing, recording, fidelity, mix are all uniformly excellent. Not Shepherd’s best but close enough for Rock ‘n Roll.

Last edited:
Back