Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band – The Traveler Blu-ray Pure Audio w/Atmos and 5.1 mix out on 8/30 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw KSW for the first time in the early 90s before he released his first album. Believe it or not, it was a benefit concert for a local animal shelter, at the actual shelter. At the time, there were whispers about him being "the next SRV," much as Robin Trower and Frank Marino were supposed to be "the next Hendrix." My future wife and I were impressed, and we've seen him a couple of times since. I have most of his CDs, but there might be one or two I've passed on. We're going to see him again later this year as part of the Experience Hendrix tour, and we're really looking forward to it. I'll post my impressions of this album as soon as I get a chance to relax and listen to it.

Just got my copy in yesterday, hope to play and report back soon.

*I'd like some advice from folks here; I've got a Blu-ray burner on my Win. 7 Pro. computer and now 5.1 speaker system, the only thing I don't have is software that will play Blu-ray discs on the computer. I don't mind paying for software either if it's a very good one.
So I need to know what are the really good Window's software programs that play the Blu-ray discs???
Much appreciate your help on this :)

*I'd like some advice from folks here; I've got a Blu-ray burner on my Win. 7 Pro. computer and now 5.1 speaker system, the only thing I don't have is software that will play Blu-ray discs on the computer. I don't mind paying for software either if it's a very good one.
So I need to know what are the really good Window's software programs that play the Blu-ray discs???
Foobar doesn't? IIRC I've played BD from Windows more or less natively. Pretty sure with Foobar, at least, with no fancy schmancy stuff.

I usually just rip the 5.1 layer using DVD-AE, then play the files from foobar.

Foobar doesn't? IIRC I've played BD from Windows more or less natively. Pretty sure with Foobar, at least, with no fancy schmancy stuff.
I usually just rip the 5.1 layer using DVD-AE, then play the files from foobar.

Thanks for the replies; but I guess I wasn't being clear enough. What I want is a program that plays whatever is on the Blu-ray, i.e. music, movies etc. directly off the disc. Yes I already use all the usual programs like MakeMKV, AudioMuxer, Foobar2000 (The Dark One), but as far as I know they do not play the content directly off the disc.
Maybe there is a plugin in FooBar2000 that I am missing???

Thanks for the replies; but I guess I wasn't being clear enough. What I want is a program that plays whatever is on the Blu-ray, i.e. music, movies etc. directly off the disc. Yes I already use all the usual programs like MakeMKV, AudioMuxer, Foobar2000 (The Dark One), but as far as I know they do not play the content directly off the disc.
Maybe there is a plugin in FooBar2000 that I am missing???
Not sure. I just recall playing BD-A from Windows more or less natively. Certainly no paid program.

Not sure. I just recall playing BD-A from Windows more or less natively. Certainly no paid program.
Well heck, do me a solid please Baggy, throw one in and see what program plays it. (When ya get a chance of course, and does it play it in 5.1 surround?)

Also, "and this is all about listening to new Blu-rays like this one (and movies) on a computer"; I have an old program that will do some of this called Power DVD 9.5, but it's now old and decrepit.
I did find a newer version that may do everything.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyberlink-Po...ix=Cyberlink+PowerDVD+19+Ultra,aps,256&sr=8-1

Well heck, do me a solid please Baggy, throw one in and see what program plays it. (When ya get a chance of course, and does it play it in 5.1 surround?)

Also, "and this is all about listening to new Blu-rays like this one (and movies) on a computer"; I have an old program that will do some of this called Power DVD 9.5, but it's now old and decrepit.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyberlink-Po...ix=Cyberlink+PowerDVD+19+Ultra,aps,256&sr=8-1
You just need a blu ray drive

I use PowerDVD 17.

I like it, it plays any BD.

but you can also copy the BD to an iso file or MKV file and play that on kodi

You just need a blu ray drive
That's only true if playing a non commercial disk with no copy protection. Nearly all releases are copy protected and it requires a software provider to purchase a license from the blueray consortium in order for his software to be capable. That's why you don't get free software that is capable of commercial release playback

VLC can definitely play DVDs right off the bat - I think to get Blu-Ray playback it needs some kind of mod? I've never gotten it to work. I can confirm that PowerDVD will play Blu-Rays though.
Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning right now with PowerDVD.

I got a little thrill with this KWS title after reading in the credits that on Saxophone was one of my favs- "Joe Sublett."

Son, are you Country? - Ma'am I am tonight!

- Listened to the 5.1 tonight and would love a Poll to sink my teeth into this one. Many things I liked about it and some things I think could have been improved (at least for my taste.)
- This is one I believe to really be effective you should turn it up loud as you can stand. I don't often say that, but here I think it matters, as the midrange & low end seems a little tame until turned up. Also the mix at times seems two dimensional and at other times lots of solo guitar flying around. The stand out track for me is: "Take It On Home", just had a great feel and I believe KWS' style sounds better as Country Rock than the others. Really loved the Mr. Soul and Turn To Stone covers. Also a whole lot more Joe Sublett on saxophone would have helped the arrangements.
But overall I believe this is a slam dunk must buy if you like Country Blues Rock.
Don't hesitate, just buy it!!!
It gets the "Pupster's Trench Coat Corner" seal of approval!

KWS.jpg

Back