Kenwood KR-8140 - SQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joebear

I am a new member so please excuse what could be a redundant question about SQ vs. QS Formats. I recently purchased a Kenwood-8140 utilizing the SQ decoding. In looking up info about the format, there is conflicting info as to what came first or what is better. SQ or QS. I am NOT using it for vinyl records. I am using it to decode 2 Quad 8 track tapes I purchased. (Jefferson Airplane -Volunteers and The Worst of) I have a Quad 8 track player also. My question is will I get a discrete playback with the SQ system in the receiver when all I have read is that SQ was designed for vinyl and falls short in general. School me. Thank you!

I am a new member so please excuse what could be a redundant question about SQ vs. QS Formats. I recently purchased a Kenwood-8140 utilizing the SQ decoding. In looking up info about the format, there is conflicting info as to what came first or what is better. SQ or QS. I am NOT using it for vinyl records. I am using it to decode 2 Quad 8 track tapes I purchased. (Jefferson Airplane -Volunteers and The Worst of) I have a Quad 8 track player also. My question is will I get a discrete playback with the SQ system in the receiver when all I have read is that SQ was designed for vinyl and falls short in general. School me. Thank you!
Quad 8 track tapes are discrete (4 separate tracks), they don't need to be decoded. Connect the 8-track to the four channel inputs on the back.
Decoding is used for matrix type recordings including SQ,QS,EV-4 (Stereo-4). SQ decoding is best used for SQ encoded records, it could be used less successfully on other matrix records and to enhance stereo recordings. The 8140 has a matrix button that would give better decoded results from recordings other than SQ.
find the manual here Kenwood KR-8140 Four Channel Receiver Manual | HiFi Engine

Welcome inside QQ @Joebear, have a fun time and their's plenty of threads to research here to find answers, as well as all the knowledgeable folk. :hi

Quad 8 track tapes are discrete (4 separate tracks), they don't need to be decoded. Connect the 8-track to the four channel inputs on the back.
Decoding is used for matrix type recordings including SQ,QS,EV-4 (Stereo-4). SQ decoding is best used for SQ encoded records, it could be used less successfully on other matrix records and to enhance stereo recordings. The 8140 has a matrix button that would give better decoded results from recordings other than SQ.
find the manual here Kenwood KR-8140 Four Channel Receiver Manual | HiFi Engine
Thank You!!!

Welcome inside QQ @Joebear, have a fun time and their's plenty of threads to research here to find answers, as well as all the knowledgeable folk. :hi
Thank you!! I have lots of "regular" Multi-channel discs! But this musical content can only be accessed on quad 8 tracks!!! The Worst of Jefferson Airplane and Volunteers!!! I am a devoted fan, so off I went to get what I needed to hear these 8 tracks in quad!!!!!! thanks for the welcome too. I always came here for info but just now joined......

Back