HiRez Poll Keys, Alicia - SONGS IN A MINOR [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Alicia Keys - SONGS IN A MINOR

• 10: Great Mix, Great Sound, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Keys Front.jpgKeys Back.jpg

Last edited:
Why no comments here yet? 'Tis a nice release!

If you're familiar with the DVD-A titles from J-Records (Vandross, Jean, Stewart) you know what to expect. This version of Alicia Keys' debut sports some nice sound fidelity and subtle, yet discrete mix with emphasis on the vocals.

Standout tracks: How Come You Don't Call Me, Fallin', Butterflyz, Why Do I Feel So Sad

A solid 7 from me.

This gets played a bit more than most. I don't pull out the classic rock stuff that much so the choices get a bit limited after that. This is a solid effort-and I am saddened as always that this was the one and only surround by her. Well, at least we have Nick Cave.

Well, I had such a hard time tracking this one down!

conversely, you could find a copy of the cd just walking down the street it was such a common album by the time I was aware of the DVDA version.

eventually a copy came up used on amazon (US) about 3 years ago, for only about $25 (the two i'd seen on eBay previous to that, around 4-5 years ago, were about $50 apiece) so I went for it, with no idea what the mix or sound quality was like as I could find no reviews or feedback for it online but I loved Alicia and the album, so thought it worth a gamble.

well, I needn't have worried, the disc was fantastic!

my only sadness is that it wasn't more readily available, if this had been out there on store shelves alongside the cd at least it would have generated some interest and the dvda could have stood a chance, or even just if it had been in a store at all..!

I have never in all these years seen a copy out in the wild! either they pressed very low numbers of these, or they all sold out straight away and people are hanging onto their copies..?!?

I'll add that I can't recall what score I voted it on here, though of course it's somewhere between a 6 and a 9 (d'oh! going senile!) though i suspect i was leaning more to an 8 or 9.. anyway, either way not too shabby and the last time I played this I was pleasantly surprised it still sounded rather wonderful..!

I might give it a spin tonight!

fredblue, if you look at the results, the number for your vote should be displayed in italics - took a while for myself to realize this:)

Also If you haven't voted on a poll you can see who voted... soooo if you have a second login to QQ you can see who voted on what....

Don't tell Jon...:eek:

really?!? that is very slippery stuff! why would you need a second login? unless your second name is "Bond"... ;)

Only for the above reason....:)

I never post using my other account ..... oooppps I just broke that rule....

I think it's supposed to be the sound of a needle being put down on the beginning of a record, running through the groove before the song starts. It's on the stereo mix too so it's no accident.

I also thought it might be an effect because it seems to dissipate during the vocals. I couldn't believe it was a recording artifact and thought maybe the sound of a bird scratching at something. I got this one recently and was giving it a good listen this evening.

Might be worth mentioning, this is another great surround mix by QQ member ThomC (Thom Cadley).

Other surround music mixes by him I reckon are worth checking out include:

Beyoncé - Dangerously In Love (SACD),
Destiny's Child - Survivor (SACD),
Destiny's Child - Destiny Fulfilled (DualDisc),
Vivian Green - A Love Story (SACD),
Kelly Rowland - Simply Deep (SACD),
Mary Mary - Incredible (SACD),
Backstreet Boys - Never Gone (DualDisc),
Jessica Simpson - In This Skin (DualDisc),
P!nk - I'm Not Dead (DualDisc),
Luther Vandross - Dance With My Father (DVD-A).

Back