Dual Disc Kind of Blue DualDisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almen

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi!

I have a question about the format of the two-channel track on the DVD side. Anyone knows if this is DD 24 bit/96 kHz stereo, or something else?

btw: My Denon 2910 won't accept the CD side, but I understand that this is a common problem?

I have the SACD but here is some information I found out regarding the DualDisc:

Columbia CN 90887, DualDisc, 20-bit remastered standard compact disc side, 5.1 AC3 Surround Sound, LPCM Stereo side, corrected speed

Regarding the CD side playability, why don't you just make a copy on your computer of the CD side and play it that way?

I have both the DualDisc and the SACD. The DualDisc does not have 96kHz/24-bit anything. It does have LPCM stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 and as far as DualDisc with a DVD-V side, is really good comparatively in my opinion. I don't recall trying to play that CD side in anything but I often find that the CD side of s DualDisc is hit or miss with my players.

Chris

Great, thanks for the information!

Yeah, I have the SACD too (and the CD...), but I just needed the DualDisc as well. :)

You are welcome. I have the LP, Cassette, MD, CD, SACD and Dual Disc as well as the pre-recorded open reel to reel tape.

You couldn't find the 8-track tape? I thought I was a nut for owning this great album on three formats, SACD, CD and the DualDisc.

Chris

You couldn't find the 8-track tape? I thought I was a nut for owning this great album on three formats, SACD, CD and the DualDisc.
To the best of my knowledge, there never was an official 8-track, 4-track or Elcassette of Kind of Blue. I believe that I own a version in every format that was released. That is, not every version of every format but a single version of every format. As you all know, Kind of Blue has been released on LP many times, including 45 rpm, blue vinyl and Japanese and other foreign pressings. There was the original CD, the 24-bit super bit map remaster CD, the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces Digitally Remastered CD and the latest speed corrected CD version. I do not have all those different versions of CD and LPs.

It would be sweet if the original three-track was available in high-rez. Kind of Cool, actually. :)

You probably have it already, but I just would like to recommend Ahsley Kahn's book on the subject. Great book!

To the best of my knowledge, there never was an official 8-track, 4-track or Elcassette of Kind of Blue. I believe that I own a version in every format that was released. That is, not every version of every format but a single version of every format. As you all know, Kind of Blue has been released on LP many times, including 45 rpm, blue vinyl and Japanese and other foreign pressings. There was the original CD, the 24-bit super bit map remaster CD, the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces Digitally Remastered CD and the latest speed corrected CD version. I do not have all those different versions of CD and LPs.

Is the CD side of the DualDisc the latest speed corrected version?

Chris

Chris

Anything else would be really surprising, since the corrected version has been around since... was it 1994(?).

On the other hand, since the CD side seems to be unplayable, it really doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

Anything else would be really surprising, since the corrected version has been around since... was it 1994(?).

On the other hand, since the CD side seems to be unplayable, it really doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

I tried it in 3 players, my PC, a Samsung DVD-HD950 and Samsung BD-P1200 and it played fine in all 3. My BD-P1200 is the goofiest player I have ever owned so I am somewhat surprised. It was the best DVD-V player I have ever used with the original firmware, but with firmware required to make it play recent Blu-ray releases, it stutters and skips some so I don't use it for DVD-V any longer. It has played every Blu-ray disc I have tried since upgrading to firmware version 2.3 so it is fine for that now. That was the first DualDisc CD side I have tried with it and I didn't notice a single issue.

Chris

It would be sweet if the original three-track was available in high-rez. Kind of Cool, actually. :)

You probably have it already, but I just would like to recommend Ahsley Kahn's book on the subject. Great book!
The SACD is has the three-tracks in high-rez. The DualDisc has the three-tracks available in Dolby Digital.

Yes, both the DualDisc and the SACD are both speed corrected. My cassette copy is also speed corrected. The MD version is not speed corrected. My Columbia Jazz Masters copy of the CD is not speed corrected, however, I believe that current CD versions are speed corrected.

... since the CD side seems to be unplayable, it really doesn't matter. :rolleyes:
I have not had any problems playing the CD side of the DualDisc in any of my players.

The SACD is has the three-tracks in high-rez. The DualDisc has the three-tracks available in Dolby Digital.

Really? :confused: Did I dream up the sounds in the surround channels when playing the MC tracks...?

I only listen to the 2-channel anyway, but - gotta have another listen, then.

Come to think of it, you might view the 2-channel as the 3-channel master with the middle channel directed equally to L and R, right?

The two-channel stereo track is 48kHz. / 16-bit.

Regarding this info, could this be mastered directly from the analog master, or is it a downconversion from 24 bit/96 kHz digital master, or - god forbid - some kind of upconversion of the 16 bit/44 kHz?

Really? :confused: Did I dream up the sounds in the surround channels when playing the MC tracks...?
I believe that the front three channels correspond to the original three track master. Artificial ambiance, echo or whatever was added to make up the two surround channels. Purists turn off the surround channels. Using the three channels in a well set up system does add something to the sound presentation.

Come to think of it, you might view the 2-channel as the 3-channel master with the middle channel directed equally to L and R, right?
I do not know how the Columbia engineers used the center channel when they mixed down to two channels. They may have done just what you suggest.

Regarding this info, could this be mastered directly from the analog master, or is it a downconversion from 24 bit/96 kHz digital master, or - god forbid - some kind of upconversion of the 16 bit/44 kHz?
I do not know how they came up with the 16 bit/48kHz. To me down converting from the 24 bit/96kHz. master would be the most logical.

I believe that the front three channels correspond to the original three track master. Artificial ambiance, echo or whatever was added to make up the two surround channels. Purists turn off the surround channels. Using the three channels in a well set up system does add something to the sound presentation.

Ah, that makes sense. However, I only have 4.0, so it will be 2-channel anyway, but I'll test if there is a difference.

I do not know how they came up with the 16 bit/48kHz. To me down converting from the 24 bit/96kHz. master would be the most logical.
OK, I'll settle with that. Thanks. :)

Back