Quad LP/Tape Poll King, B.B.: Live in Japan [QS/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the QS/QR of B.B. King - Live in Japan

• 9 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Recorded on March 4th & 7th 1971 at Tokyo's Sankei Hall and released later the same year by ABC's Japanese manufacturer and distributor King Records, shortly before ABC moved their distribution to Toshiba-EMI Japan. A Japan-only release on QS LP and quad reel, this album should really be considered a "highlights" disc as it's only a single LP, whereas the stereo version is 2 LPs.

bbking-liveinjapan-lp-1.jpgbbking-injapan-QR-1.jpgbbking-injapan-QR-2.jpgbbking-injapan-QR-3.jpgbbking-injapan-QR-7.jpg

ABC Records (Japan) 4R-8 [QS LP] 4CHA (A)-10 [QR]
Discogs links: LP / QR (more information on the King Records Japan quad reels in this QQ thread.)
Wiki for the album: B.B. King Live in Japan

Side 1:
  1. Every Day I Have the Blues
  2. How Blue Can You Get
  3. You Are Still My Woman
  4. Chains and Things
Side 2:
  1. Hummingbird
  2. Sweet Sixteen
  3. The Thrill is Gone

Love the separation, distinct and clear. Warm bass. BB's voice commands the centre with enough venue echo to evoke a concert. High end is detailed, even the applause. The immersive mix puts me in Sankei Hall. A winner.

I just stumbled across this thread while preparing a hard drive for the quad system. I've had this folder kicking around here since 2014. This is how the tracks were named. Would the first two tracks be reflective of the Japanese QS vinyl only?

BB King.jpg

I don't think the QS vinyl has the channel check (track 1 in @timbre4 's tracklist) above, only the quad reel does.

Music-wise, the QR and the QS LP are the same.

Back