HiRez Poll King, B. B. - REFLECTIONS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of B. B. King - REFLECTIONS

• 10: Great Mix, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez 5.1 title! (y) :phones (n)

Good fidelity, the surround mix is good for the music but B. B. King is really struggling trying to carry a solo album at 77. His voice isn't really up to the task. Still, I like the album and I'll give it a 7. For another fine blues singer's last hurrah, I like Jimmy Witherspoon "The Blues, the Whole Blues and Nothing But the Blues" in stunning Silverline faux 5.1 surround.

Chris

Although it is just stereo, Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" is my favorite high resolution blues album. That album is a masterwork recorded in 1963 trying to take advantage of the folk music craze, it is just a straight forward accoustic blues album with Buddy Guy, Clfton James and Willie Dixon joining in. It is available in both DVD-A and SACD, I have the SACD version.

Chris

The band is great and the recording is fine, but the talent is wasted on these boring pop and R and B standards. It's a shame, they could have made a great blues album with these musicians if they had just wanted to.

There are lesser-sounding recordings and the musicians are all talented, but I'm just not too keen on King's voice here, which is all too prominent. (And guitar is all too buried into the background, IMO.) That said, the organ sounds really good. As for the surround mix, it isn't anything special; it doesn't do anything cute or otherwise impressive, but it does add a little bit of life to these dull songs. I don't recommend unless you really like the music.

Oh dear where to start. I bought the Best of BB King in 1973, didn't really know much about him but I had heard the track 'The Thrill is gone'. Recently bought this SACD and I have to agree, although it saddens me, with most of Kazaams comments. His voice is clearly failing which is not surprising given is age. I wouldn't call the songs dull as they are clearly allowing the musicians talents to shine. Surround wise, nothing spectacular but its okay. Am I pleased I bought it? Yes I am. Sorry BB only a 7 from me.

Although it is just stereo, Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" is my favorite high resolution blues album. That album is a masterwork recorded in 1963 trying to take advantage of the folk music craze, it is just a straight forward accoustic blues album with Buddy Guy, Clfton James and Willie Dixon joining in. It is available in both DVD-A and SACD, I have the SACD version.

Chris
It's even better on vinyl.

My standard CD sounds amazing.
When something is beautifully recorded, it tends to sound great on any media. It is a treasure any time a terrific performance is properly captured. So many recordings I love aren't of particularly high fidelity, but if a boring performance is captured well, it's still a boring performance (I'm looking at you, Sheffield Lab).

I have nothing to add, really. The sound is great, although maybe a tad too hot. The mix opens the space and all the band has enough room to breathe, but not much to mention past that.
I'll go with a solid 7 and dare to spin Ray Charles sometime soon.

Back