King Biscuit Flower Hour

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone familiar with the intro's of the Biscuit Shows know if the D.J.'s ever announced that the Concert was being broadcast in Quadraphonic , or SQ matrix ?

Always wondered about this.
Many do, they even have advertisements for Pioneer Quadraphonic equipement! There were SQ conversions of many of the of them circulating at one time.

Does anyone familiar with the intro's of the Biscuit Shows know if the D.J.'s ever announced that the Concert was being broadcast in Quadraphonic , or SQ matrix ?

Always wondered about this.
Fizzy, I heard an early king biscuit recording from BCN in Boston where they added their own pre-show announcement concerning the quad. It might have been the Steve Miller / Grin show. The funny thing about it is that pretty much all the info they pass along is WRONG! At the top of the list, they recommend decoding the QS system (oops).

Right ok thanks @marcb , @par4ken , and @quadaholic .

I do have some Biscuit conversions but I don't think any mention that they're in quad nor SQ broadcasts by Bill Minkin or any other DJ.
I only asked because I noticed an absence of this on the few I have.

This is contrary to what I know of BBC Quad broadcasts. On those Alan Freeman and other BBC DJ's go out of their way to mention the quad broadcasting. I think they are Much better at promoting quad matrix broadcasts.
But it's good to know that some Biscuits were mentioned as Quad matrix . (SQ)

Fizzy, I heard an early king biscuit recording from BCN in Boston where they added their own pre-show announcement concerning the quad. It might have been the Steve Miller / Grin show. The funny thing about it is that pretty much all the info they pass along is WRONG! At the top of the list, they recommend decoding the QS system (oops).

You know , if they had a Discrete copy to work with , they could encode in QS . But that's a maybe .

Right ok thanks @marcb , @par4ken , and @quadaholic .

I do have some Biscuit conversions but I don't think any mention that they're in quad nor SQ broadcasts by Bill Minkin or any other DJ.
I only asked because I noticed an absence of this on the few I have.

This is contrary to what I know of BBC Quad broadcasts. On those Alan Freeman and other BBC DJ's go out of their way to mention the quad broadcasting. I think they are Much better at promoting quad matrix broadcasts.
But it's good to know that some Biscuits were mentioned as Quad matrix . (SQ)
The announcement was definitely there for the first 3 years or so , but folks like to cut out the announcements and the ads when they upload things. I recently found a quad announcement on a biscuit show from summer of 77. Although that is a little later than what I was expecting, the show itself seems to be very much stereo only. With that in mind, I think there are at least a few supposedly quad shows that are just plain stereo.

I think many of these were mixed direct to encoded stereo, so that wouldn't have been an option. Also, QS would have never happened, as Columbia played a big part in the early years of the show.

True enough , and I think BCN is or was a CBS broadcasting station.
But if someone wanted to piss them off , or didn't know the difference , and the station had a Sansui encoder as well as a Sony (CBS) encoder ? Well ?... of course they would need a Q4 Reel to encode.

This rather rare occurence , could be why those KBFH bootleg albums indicated QS or Sansui quadraphonic.

The announcement was definitely there for the first 3 years or so , but folks like to cut out the announcements and the ads when they upload things. I recently found a quad announcement on a biscuit show from summer of 77. Although that is a little later than what I was expecting, the show itself seems to be very much stereo only. With that in mind, I think there are at least a few supposedly quad shows that are just plain stereo.

So you think that 77 show was stereo even though they announced it was in quad ?
What show was that ?

I just don't think that there is any way that King Biscuit would have sent out discrete 4 track tapes. Way too much work (and money) to make it happen. Encoded stereo is way more "user friendly", if you get what I'm saying. With those King Biscuit bootlegs that say QS on them, I think that is just a plain old mistake on the part of the bootleggers. I have files of some of them and they are barely stereo. Even the ELP boot "Callow Crash and Idle Eyes" bootleg of Anaheim 74 broadcast seems to be plain old mono (at least the version I found on the web is).

So you think that 77 show was stereo even though they announced it was in quad ?
What show was that ?
It was a "british biscuit" show. either supertramp or 10cc, I think. I'll have to check it. A lot of the later quad shows are basically "band in front, crowd in back", and this particular one didn't even have that. Thought I might have had a scoop, but nope.

It was a "british biscuit" show. either supertramp or 10cc, I think. I'll have to check it. A lot of the later quad shows are basically "band in front, crowd in back", and this particular one didn't even have that. Thought I might have had a scoop, but nope.
I have 2 British BISCUIT Adverts . February 77 is Bonnie Bramlett + Marshall Tucker Band ,
and March 77 is Genesis.
Not much help but that's all the 77 ads I have for British Biscuit.

I have 2 British BISCUIT Adverts . February 77 is Bonnie Bramlett + Marshall Tucker Band ,
and March 77 is Genesis.
Not much help but that's all the 77 ads I have for British Biscuit.
I checked and it's show #163 Supertramp 07 17 77. Seriously doubt this ones encoded even though the announcement says so. Despite this, it's worth mentioning that pretty much all the Supertramp broadcasts from BBC and King Biscuit in the 70's are remarkably good. There's way more range to their material than I tend to remember.

Do you mean the intro's by Bill Minkin? I can't recall if they all do, but definitely some do.

As far as local DJ's, I suppose it have depended on the market. But I would guess few did. They were just cueing the things up - if even that. I can't imagine many were aware - or even cared.
They said so in the show's opening intro.

Ad from '75 for special quad show.

yesQuadAD.jpg

Ad from '75 for special quad show.

View attachment 67270
Someday I hope the Gryphon set turns up. The yes show is easy to find, but outside of the remix that's at the Vault, this one seems to have disappeared. The idea of someone playing a bassoon in front of 9000 plus Yes fans waiting for Roundabout must have been a truly unique experience.

I have lot's of those advertisements for KBFH shows. Most are copies from Rolling Stone Magazine and maybe 2 or 3 from Circus Magazine .

From Frampton's Camel / Humble Pie (26th August 1973 ), to Foreigner ( 15th May 1979 ).

2 Pics and list attached.
A "Q" beside the date indicates the Advert mentions the show was in quadraphonic .

Attachments

• 20210523_181256.jpg
    20210523_181256.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210523_181427.jpg
    20210523_181427.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20210523_181450.jpg
    20210523_181450.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210523_181506.jpg
    20210523_181506.jpg