HiRez Poll King, Carole - TAPESTRY (5.1) [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Carole King - TAPESTRY

• Total voters
I've noticed the same thing. That seems to be a much more rare ocurrance on the old Quad mixes. Quite often, when the Quads had things you didn't hear in 2ch, it was due to them using an altogether different take. I've scratched my head as to why these missing things crop up. It's either those sounds were so low in the 2ch, or they just weren't there to begin with.

30+ years after the fact, the remix engineer finds the multitrack master. He doesn't have complete notes on the 2ch mix, and puts as much there as he thinks would/should be in 2ch. I'd hope any remix engineer listens to the original, so as not to tinker too much. Still, I can see that it's bound to sound different, no matter how much care is taken. Please don't say that it's easier to pinpoint things in MC. We all know that, or we wouldn't be here. As curious a this phenomenon is, I actually prefer hearing all that extra stuff. You can say I'm not a purist. Yet, if you want to be entirely faithful to the original, go listen to the 2ch version.

The 5.1 version is day and nite re: the stereo sacd. I just can't get over the "missing" instruments in the 5.1 that are not present in the 2 channel

A 9 from me.

The albums a masterpiece, goes without saying and the mix is quite adventurous while still working well with the original material.

Yes, the vocals are recorded a bit loud and distort in places but that doesn't detract from one of the best albums of all-time and definitely one of the best of Sony's M/C SACD's of classic albums (not from Quad sources!) in my little collection.

Like others I'm somewhat torn on this one. The material is wonderful and worthy of all the praise it's received over the years but the fidelity is just so-so. Vocals are often distorted and instruments rather thin (except bass which sounds wonderful throughout). The mix is good. Lead vocal, drums and piano are evenly distributed between fronts and rears (with piano often 'leaning' to the right when no overdubbed second part is present) but there are plenty of discrete elements (guitars, keyboards, percussion, backing vocals, etc) to make for an effective surround experience. Center has dry lead vocal with various instruments (usually from the rhythm section).

Considering that the original was no sonic masterpiece I can't fault Paul Kingberg and crew for the fidelity issues. Still, in spite of the stellar material and solid mix, the fidelity affects my enjoyment enough to knock it down a few points to an 8.

Great album, of course. Nice surround mix, although the sonics on this album (both the original stereo and the surround) leave a lot to be desired, in my opinion. Carole's voice always sounds like it was mic'd with some crappy Radio Shack mic or something. Could only give it a 7, unfortunately.
Have to agree. I enjoy it though, pretty good stuff, too bad about the vocals.

I gave it an 8. They did a good job considering the age of the recording. I agree the vocals don't sound too good and didn't due her singing any favors. This is the 5.1 mix as I haven't listened to the stereo version and doubt I will.

I gave it an 8. They did a good job considering the age of the recording. I agree the vocals don't sound too good and didn't due her singing any favors. This is the 5.1 mix as I haven't listened to the stereo version and doubt I will.
Just picked this up to replace the old vinyl. Although I only had a chance to hear up through Beautiful last evening, I was expecting much worse with the vocals. Has a bit of muscle on the low end and found myself laughing at some of the sounds I don't recall hearing before. Instruments sound clear, spread out nicely. I like it so far.

Solid 9 for me! Such a wonderful album. Glad I own it!
Life in Surround Review

Special thanks to @Quad Linda (for the eloquent post that I couldn't help using)
:love:

Play this album at least two to three times a year. LOVE the new Sony Japan QUAD SACD remaster in 7"packaging.

And a VERY happy 80th birthday to a genuine QUEEN .........the most natural of women!

Is there a Japanese Quad SACD? I have not seen that - but would be interested!
(I have only seen the 5.1 mix)
Thanks!

afaik its the same 5.1 mix as previously released on MCh SACD, no idea if the mastering or any channel balances are different as sometimes happens with the Japanese 7" MCh SACD issues.

afaik its the same 5.1 mix as previously released on MCh SACD, no idea if the mastering or any channel balances are different as sometimes happens with the Japanese 7" MCh SACD issues.
OK - thanks.
I was wondering if it was the next in the series of the recent Quad SACD’s straight outta Japan (a la Santana)
Looks like…NOT! ☹

Last edited:
Back