Quad LP/Tape Poll King, Carole: Tapestry [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Tapestry"--original quad mix

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Her 1971 blockbuster, later remixed for 5.1 SACD.

Side 1:

1. I Feel The Earth Move
2. So Far Away
3. It's Too Late
4. Home Agagin
5. Beautiful
6. Way Over Yonder

Side 2:

1. You've Got A Friend
2. Where You Lead
3. Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
4. Smackwater Jack
5. Tapestry
6. (You Make Me Feel Like)A Natural Woman

ED :)

No, the QS was never issued, AFAIK, removed from the listing. CD-4 from Japan did get an issue, though it's tough to find these days.

I have the Q8. Limited but effective mix, not as elaborate as the 5.1 but nice to have back in the day. I'd rate it a '7,' factoring in the inherent hiss from the master tape(in addition to the Q8 itself).

ED :)

Well, as for "great sound" and "great content" both will score a 11 for me. Can you name any other quad regular album (not a "best of" or "greatest hits") that got such massive sales, massive airplay, etc etc etc since its release and with nearly ALL 12 tracks, and it's still goin'on? It has become a Carole King Greatest Hits vol.1 by itself.

Mix is not aggressive, i will say "adequate" for the songs; could had been a bit better bt the SACD too remained on the same vein. 8 for the mix.
Averaged, 10.
Absolutely deserved. A must have in any format, mono stereo quad 5.1, a key album that changed a lot the songwriting. Without "Tapestry" it's hard to understand a ton of music that followed, some names: Carly, Joni, Ritchie, Emmy... you know what they are.

I had this Q8 until the SACD came out, then i sold this one. Great music on this album, but the quad mix wasn't very good. I have to go with a 7 on this mainly because the quad mix dosen't do much more than the stereo version did. The SACD mix is a lot better.

I'm basing my critique on the SACD, since the QS version, which was announced and a release date set, never materialized. I loved the album in stereo, but was enraptured by the surround mix of the SACD. It was the only way a favorite of mine could be made better. And isn't it amazing that Carole's voice is as good today as it was 30 years ago?

I'm basing my critique on the SACD, since the QS version, which was announced and a release date set, never materialized. I loved the album in stereo, but was enraptured by the surround mix of the SACD. It was the only way a favorite of mine could be made better. And isn't it amazing that Carole's voice is as good today as it was 30 years ago?
The SACD mix is a new mix, not based on the original quad mix.

My vote for the worst Quad mix of all time, though it's one of my favorite albums. It was the best selling album of all time at that point. "We gotta do a Quad mix." If only they would have done a Quad mix! "Quad lite." Sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. There's so much reverb. This is PAINFUL to listen to. I have the Q8 & 5.1 SACD. I've owned 7 copies of this. Any non-Quad is a better copy than this. This mix sounds So Far Away. The 5.1 SACD has a great mix and is a wonder!

Linda

The Q8 suffers from a misplaced channel. But it's hardly Quad. It's stereo up front with the same thing in the back heavily dreanched in echo. I've heard worse, but I've heard much, much better.

There actually was a QS LP of this released, but it was very hard to find. I saw it once, and I'm now kicking myself for not having bought it. I have her "Music" album on QS, and
it's a very good mix. I also have the SACD of "Tapestry", and have to agree, Linda, it's a very good mix.

My vote for the worst Quad mix of all time, though it's one of my favorite albums. It was the best selling album of all time at that point. "We gotta do a Quad mix." If only they would have done a Quad mix! "Quad lite." Sounds like it was recorded in a tin can. There's so much reverb. This is PAINFUL to listen to. I have the Q8 & 5.1 SACD. I've owned 7 copies of this. Any non-Quad is a better copy than this. This mix sounds So Far Away. The 5.1 SACD has a great mix and is a wonder!

Linda

I was about to write that I have 5 or 6 stereo copies of this and no quad version and, "Dang me, dang me, they oughta take a rope and hang me" but now I don't feel quite so deprived. Depraved, yes. Deprived, no.

The QS "Music" record is nice.

Doug

Back