King Crimson 1980s Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-4163265009.jpg

Unbelievably, Grimey's in Nashville already had these in stock, two weeks before Burning Shed & Headphone Dust!
Scans & reviews coming later tonight! (Hopefully...) :)

Looks like the Blu-rays will be 24/96 according to the info above. Wonder why the DVD-A's are only 24/48? That would be annoying if that is the case.

I assume they're probably 48/24 because of bit-budget/space issues. Plenty of content on the previous King Crimson DVD-A series has been 48/24, including the following:

In The Court Of The Crimson King (5.1 mix)
In The Wake Of Poseidon (Stereo Bonus Tracks)
Lizard (5.1 mix)
Islands ('Assorted Ladies' bonus tracks and 'Alternate Album both 48/24, 'Routes To Islands' bonus tracks 48/16)
Larks Tongues In Aspic (1973 Stereo Mix and Alternate Takes & Mixes)
Red (5.1 mix & 5.1 bonus tracks)
Starless & Bible Black (Extra Tracks & Live Tracks)
Discipline (Stereo Rough Mix)

8.5gb dual layer DVDs may seem like a lot of space to work with, but it really isn't, especially given the fact that whatever you do on the DVD-A side has to be duplicated on the DVD-V side for compatibility. So if your DVD-A side has the original album in 96/24 5.1 surround (2gb) and original mix in 96/24 stereo (850mb) and remix in 96/24 stereo (850mb) you've already used up 3.7 of 8.5gb and you haven't even touched bonus tracks, video content, or the lossy DTS/DD versions of the surround mix on the DVD-V side. I think Pangeyric's philosophy here is to get as much content as possible on these discs and the only way to do that is compromise the sampling rate in some instances.

I presume the box set Blu Rays will probably be 96/24 as 25 or 50gb BluRay discs won't pose any of the space issues that an 8.5gb DVD disc would.

In light of TFTO news this entered my mind as well.
Would rather buy standalone BDs at full res than 24/48 DVD-As.

So now I have to consider cancelling the DVD-As and spending ~$130 for the 2 discs I don't have.
I spent $75 for the Aqualung BD but this decision to not ditch DVD-A and go for standalone BDs kind of burns me.

Deep Discount once again has a 15% off code - MONSTER15 - applied to the KC box it'll get the price down to $100.25. Not sure when this code expires.

Deep Discount once again has a 15% off code - MONSTER15 - applied to the KC box it'll get the price down to $100.25. Not sure when this code expires.
Cancelled the DVD-A orders and went with the box. sigh
Importcds has it for $91.55 which allowed me to spring for expedited shipping.

I assume they're probably 48/24 because of bit-budget/space issues. Plenty of content on the previous King Crimson DVD-A series has been 48/24, including the following:

Lizard (5.1 mix)
Islands ('Assorted Ladies' bonus tracks and 'Alternate Album both 48/24, 'Routes To Islands' bonus tracks 48/16)

8.5gb dual layer DVDs may seem like a lot of space to work with, but it really isn't, especially given the fact that whatever you do on the DVD-A side has to be duplicated on the DVD-V side for compatibility. So if your DVD-A side has the original album in 96/24 5.1 surround (2gb) and original mix in 96/24 stereo (850mb) and remix in 96/24 stereo (850mb) you've already used up 3.7 of 8.5gb and you haven't even touched bonus tracks, video content, or the lossy DTS/DD versions of the surround mix on the DVD-V side. I think Pangeyric's philosophy here is to get as much content as possible on these discs and the only way to do that is compromise the sampling rate in some instances.

I presume the box set Blu Rays will probably be 96/24 as 25 or 50gb BluRay discs won't pose any of the space issues that an 8.5gb DVD disc would.

I'm not buying that myself, but happy to be proven wrong once the discs are ripped and sizes checked. I don't have them to hand but I'm sure that all others in the series have at least the stereo mixes in 24/96 MLP on the DVD-A layer and usually the alternate takes/bonus tracks and/or DVD-V layer PCM tracks being 24/48.

Photo from Sid Smith showing the new box set on the shelf with the others:
14657434_10155933267923504_1668318890318680328_n.jpg

Plus, Burning Shed says they will start shipping these boxes on Monday! :)

A 'loverly' video from Sid Smith unboxing the "On (& Off) The Road" box. Darren Lock could learn a thing or two from watching this video… ;)
[video=youtube;0nOhURmK-Q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nOhURmK-Q0[/video]

A 'loverly' video from Sid Smith unboxing the "On (& Off) The Road" box. Darren Lock could learn a thing or two from watching this video… ;)
[video=youtube;0nOhURmK-Q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nOhURmK-Q0[/video]

Very cool, thanks for sharing and you are correct Sid Smith does a way better job.

Lizard (5.1 mix)

And prior to some point in 2012, Steven mixed in 48kHz.

Just got my shipping notice for "On (& Off) The Road" from Burning Shed, complete with a tracking #, saying it should be here on Friday! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got my shipping notice for "On (& Off) The Road" from Burning Shed, complete with a tracking #, saying it should be here on Friday! :)

You chose well when you decided who to purchase the box from. I ordered mine from Import CDs because they had the lowest price at $91. They just sent me this e-mail:

Thank you for contacting Importcds!

Unfortunately due to a pricing error on the website we have cancelled the order for the item King Crimson On (and Off) The Road: 1981-1984 that was purchased via the website.

In the event a product is listed at an incorrect price due to a display or typographical error, or an error in pricing information received from our suppliers, or store partners, we shall have the right to refuse or cancel any orders placed for product listed at the incorrect price.

We shall have the right to refuse or cancel any such orders whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged. If your credit card has already been charged for the purchase and your order is cancelled, we shall immediately issue a credit to your credit card account in the amount of your original charge. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Again, thank you for writing Importcds. We appreciate your business.

Regards,
Importcds Sales Support

You chose well when you decided who to purchase the box from. I ordered mine from Import CDs because they had the lowest price at $91. They just sent me this e-mail:

Yep, especially since all Burning Shed orders of the box set come with 12x12 art prints of the three 80s album covers. :)

Back