King Crimson 1980s Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. :(

Oh, well. Order now placed with the good ol' Shed.

Same here on both counts.
The unboxing video got to me.
Thanks, RT. ;)

I should've done it earlier but just checked the "real' price for the boxset on importcds.
$149.99
They were only off by $58.44:rolleyes:
Total joke.

Last edited:
Holy Crap!
Ordered the boxset on Sunday from BurningShed after the importcds debacle.
Got a Fedex text that it will be here tomorrow, Wed, by 10:30AM.

Funny thing is, still waiting for Skylarking that shipped on 10/10.

I ordered this box on Monday from Burning Shed and it arrived here in Atlanta this morning! What type of postal sorcery is this?!

Anyway, it looks fab. However, I have to wait until tomorrow to sample the new 5.1 content.

I ordered this box on Monday from Burning Shed and it arrived here in Atlanta this morning! What type of postal sorcery is this?!

Anyway, it looks fab. However, I have to wait until tomorrow to sample the new 5.1 content.

It's Burning Shed delivering unearthly good customer service.
BTW, the magic is they're using Fedex and expensive Fedex at that.
Bypassing the USPS so no postal delivery by a worn out slug.

Last edited:
Carefully sliced open the cellophane shrink wrap.
Very nice, heavy duty packaging.
Most of the discs are contained in the plastic tray with digipacks identical to Skylarking.
Hopefully the Series game won't go long tomorrow night so I can indulge in a Skylarking, TFTO and KC surround listening session.
Did I mention that this set has a metric tonne of content?
The repro album cover prints are exceptional.
Suitable for framing and I think I will.
Many thanks to Pete Norton of Burning Shed for the hand delivery to Fedex!

The back of the box (from amazon):

516HoGL1CcL.jpg

:)

Since I got my box set this morning, let me go through the 5.1 surround content on the Blu-Rays so everyone will know exactly what the resolutions are:

On the "Discipline", "Beat", and "Three of a Perfect Pair" Blu-Rays, the studio album surround mixes are presented as LPCM 5.1 surround and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround. Both streams are 96kHz 24 bit for all albums.
Also, on the "Discipline" Blu-Ray is the 1982 concert film "The Noise - Live in Frejus". Surround audio is LPCM 5.1 surround and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround. Both streams are 48kHz 24 bit.
Then the "Three of a Perfect Pair" Blu-Ray has the "Absent Lovers" live album presented in DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround at 48kHz 24 bit.

Finally, all of the video content can switch to a pure audio screen by pressing the pop-up menu button twice. (Same as the THRAK and Radical Action Blu-Rays)
So, to sum up, if you want the 5.1 surround mixes of "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" in their highest resolution, the box set is the way to go!

I'm another that their DD order cancelled. Looked around a bit and just went with Amazon UK for what was really only about $10 more. Shipped Thursday and to my surprise they used one of ups's faster modes - delivery on Monday

BTW, something important to point out.
The "Three of a Perfect Pair Live in Japan" video concert is presented in stereo & surround on one of the bonus DVDs (Disc 19) to be exact, while the Blu-Ray has no surround audio for it at all.
I was puzzled as to why that was, and then I found my answer in accompanying booklet.
The surround mix that exists on the DVD (the same one that exists on the "Neal and Jack and Me" DVD from 2004) is nothing more than an upmix as the multi-tracks no longer exist.
They wanted to include this surround sound upmix on the Blu-Ray, but with all of the additional video footage and the "Absent Lovers" live album mixed in surround sound, there wasn't any more room!

So anyway, there's that, in case anyone also discovers what I discovered while thumbing through this absolutely incredible set! :)

very sad to find out the album prints were an exclusive not available to those who ordered via inner knot...I harrumphed, shook my fists at the box and sent an email voicing my anger...but I will have to accept it..

So, to sum up, if you want the 5.1 surround mixes of "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" in their highest resolution, the box set is the ONLY way to go!

RT, tweeked your quote a bit. :)
I don't have many boxsets so when I do get one it has to be very compelling to me.
As I posted earlier, after you unearthed the 24/48-ness of the DVD-As, I whacked the pre-orders and went with the box.
All in all, between Burning Shed's outstanding service and the contents\packaging of the box I'm very pleased I went with the box.

80's KC is my favorite era although I have all of the previous DVD-A studio releases, so this is a treasure trove.
I saw the 80's KC live twice in smaller venues and was absolutely balown away.

Listened to most of the "Absent Lovers - Live in Montreal" concert in surround sound from the "Three of a Perfect Pair" Blu-Ray disc.
It's not an impressive mix, but if you know this going into it, you won't be that disappointed.

From the "On (& Off) the Road" box liner notes (this passage written by David Singleton):
As a final parting shot, I was asked if I would consider making a surround sound remix of "Absent Lovers". 'Definitely not', I replied, remembering the months that Robert and I spent mixing the original. But then I recalled that we had muted the audience tracks during the mixes. What they offered in ambience, we had lost in clarity. Perhaps I could just sneak them into the rear speakers. Less 'surround sound', more 'big stereo'. Surprisingly transformative.

This is a cool new video with David Singleton walking us through the massive headaches he endured trying to put this 80s box set together.
I think we will all have a greater appreciation for what the box contains and how good everything looks and sounds after watching this video.

[video=youtube;2kfwJ8ExFJo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfwJ8ExFJo[/video]

This is a cool new video with David Singleton walking us through the massive headaches he endured trying to put this 80s box set together.
I think we will all have a greater appreciation for what the box contains and how good everything looks and sounds after watching this video.

[video=youtube;2kfwJ8ExFJo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfwJ8ExFJo[/video]

ah you "Beat" me to it..

I wanted to point out that he mentions a 'hidden track' of Ade's fiddley sounds ...I'm still working through it all, so I haven't come across it yet..

The live in Japan videos aren't in widescreen they're in 4:3[on the box it says widescreen format.......must be a misprint].

The live in Japan videos aren't in widescreen they're in 4:3[on the box it says widescreen format.......must be a misprint].

Pretty sure that the live in Japan videos are in widescreen on the Blu-Ray and 4:3 on the DVD (but I would have to dig the discs out again to know for sure.)

Back