King Crimson "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" in 5.1 DVD-A in October 2016

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with milt and going with the box set!!
I always knew I liked you. :smokin
I have no idea which is better or whatever but if I have a choice and in this case I do, What the fuck.
I could not care less what other people choose.
Watching the ball game.

I always knew I liked you. :smokin
I have no idea which is better or whatever but if I have a choice and in this case I do, What the fuck.
I could not care less what other people choose.
Watching the ball game.

It also happens to work out that Discipline was the only one in the series that I didn't pick up. Not because I don't like it, it just happened to work out that way. The difference between picking up the three separately and getting the box isn't huge. Might as well get the highest sampling rate with the box.

This is funny. "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" are on Grimey's (in Nashville) new releases list for today, even though they were already out in the store last weekend, so yeah, that was a lucky mistake for me! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool, I just received a "delivered" confirmation for both of these. Tracking indicated that I wasn't going to be getting these until Monday, so, very nice surprise :) I know what I'm doing tonight!

This is funny. "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" are on Grimey's (in Nashville) new releases list for today, even though they were already out in the store last weekend, so yeah, that was a lucky mistake for me! ;)

Why haven't you reviewed these yet?

Why haven't you reviewed these yet?

It's not like I have all the time in the world to just sit and listen to music in surround, not to mention that I also had to make some time for "Skylarking" too. ..

It's not like I have all the time in the world to just sit and listen to music in surround, not to mention that I also had to make some time for "Skylarking" too. ..

I know, I know :)
Just trying to prime the pump since you got them early.
Looking forward to them.

Just got the Burning Shed email yesterday of both albums getting shipped out. Man, if only I knew about the boxset getting the higher resolution audio versions otherwise I'd have ordered that instead. Who knows, I might still go ahead and do it in the future lol. :p

I hope someone will receive and review the box set soon. Still on the fence about spending the extra dollars.

Not really a review of the boxset, and not much of interest to you surround fanatics, but I have had the chance to hear the stereo remixes while doing other things (so no "dedicated listening"). :)

I got the sense that the remixes were more "analog" and "organic" sounding than the original mixes, at least compared with my memories of the sound of the HDCD remasters, and a couple original CDs from the 80s too. These albums were analog recordings originally mixed to early digital -at least ToaPP certainly was. IIRC Fripp said that he wasn't present when Beat was mixed (or do I mix that up with another album?). The balance of the mixes was changed here and there -just little accents, but significant ones. Depth and "resolution" are improved as usual -you hear more of the tone and character of the individual parts. And the bonus tracks are cool (but I wish Beat would have more).

I can imagine that the surround mixes will be envelopping and have little surprises here and there.

Last edited:
Just auditioned "Beat" (DVD-A) .... spellbound. A really open mix that grabbed me immediately. Great use of chorus in the rear speakers. Tony Levin's bass shines through... i will be isolating this channel on my PC for a listen!

Both new mixes are indeed stellar, and I believe that Beat is the album that benefited the most. Such significant improvements in such tracks as Sartori in Tangier and Neurotica especially. And I also agree with Levin's bass being brought up in the mix. Only need to get onto the bonus tracks on 3oaPP now.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

On TOOPP I Can't find the 30th Anniversary tracks, along with the Sleepless remixes I'm after, in the menus.
Choosing the LPCM option in the Audio Setup Shows the 2016 mixes only, and then won't play them.
Disc problem, or my player?

Never mind, found the 30th Anniversary tracks on the DVD.....in the Extras section.
Didn't occur to me to look there, duh :)

Back