King Crimson "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" in 5.1 DVD-A in October 2016

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To date, I hadn't ordered either of these. I've only heard the 70's version of KC. Hmmmm. [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've never even heard Discipline, well wang dang sweet poontang :mad:@:! I would say these albums are similar in rhythm to Talking Heads, with of course Robert Fripp's unmistakeable guitar sound. To me its not as good as their 70's stuff, but I still love it.

GOS, Did you not buy the 40th Anniversary edition of Discipline!?! If not, stop what you are doing at this moment and buy it!

Discipline is likely the best of the 80s KC albums, and SW did an amazing job of the surround mix. The fidelity is also stunning.

I don't know! [emoji51][emoji51] I'll scan through my piles of music.

Oh there's definitely typos.
The back of the "Beat" slipcase and booklet does not indicate that the remastered original mix is 96 kHz.
Plus, the back of the TOAPP slipcase indicates there is 96/24 stereo material when there is none. (The booklet however correctly lists all material as being at 48 kHz.)
Of course, this is all small potatoes, and I cannot believe we are actually discussing this...

What's the coolest thing I discovered while listening to both of these last night? Why the extended version of "Requiem", of course!
The original was 6:37 in length, while the new extended version stretches out to 12:11 and it sound fantastic!

Other than that, everyone will have to wait until I do another listen to both of them to formulate a proper review. :)
It is not that big a deal, the music and mixes are what really count.

Off with the testers' heads I say. Oops, sorry, wrong forum :couch

I'm really looking forward to the extended Requiem. I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until the release over here, but in the meantime I'm told that Skylarking and A Headful of Dreams blurays have arrived today at home :), and of course I'm still enthralled by the Tales From Topographic Oceans release :banana:

Ha..! :D ..I know you're only joking of course (and I can't speak for anyone else doing testing) I've never seen any printed material in advance yet for one of these things, I'd always presumed the labels had their own proofreaders checking all the booklets and stuff..? something other than testing I did get a sneak preview one time for the Geese & Ghost DVD-A (or whatever its called, before there was a release candidate ready to test, as Opus were doing the artwork from Hi-res scans for the menu's and stuff at the time which was really cool seeing the work that goes into that.. looks like a static screen.. how much can there be in that I thought, silly me.. I was amazed!

To date, I hadn't ordered either of these. I've only heard the 70's version of KC. Hmmmm. [emoji28]

I agree with what the others have said, Gene.
You definitely have to buy at least the CD/DVDA-V edition of "Discipline".
Then if you like that, I would encourage you to get both "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair".
Of course, you could get the big 80s box set with both DVD-A/V and Blu-Ray (and a lot more extras), but if you're not sure whether you will like the music or not, the CD/DVDA-V editions are a safer buy. :)

These are out now..I'm listening to 3ooPP as I write...are there separate threads for them yet?

No, I'll create poll threads for both titles later tonight or tomorrow (hopefully...)
BTW, where did you buy your copies from?

RT, I'll be very interested to hear your impressions between the DVD-A & BD version of these.
BTW, thanks for posting the 24/48 info on these.

Sometimes I'm a bit OCD about things and KC is one of them.
I cancelled my DVD-A pre-orders and went with the Boxset.
I won't choke on $92 for potential best versions.
Especially for TOAPP.

RT, I'll be very interested to hear your impressions between the DVD-A & BD version of these.

I hope you're referring to their different content, because to expect any significant audible difference between DVDA and BD of the same music, is silly.

To be certain that there won't be any "significant audible difference" before hearing either one is "silly", not my choice of words, yours.
Following that logic all hi-res releases would be 24/48.
Anything else would be "silly".

I'm not predicting that there will be any "significant audible difference", that's why I asked RT the question indicating that I do have an open mind about something I have not heard.
Furthermore one man's no difference is another man's makes the difference.
I'm just saying that to me, in this case paying the extra to have highest res available is worth my money.
If you'd like to contribute to my music buying budget you're more than welcome, otherwise make your choices and leave me with mine.

Inner Knot/DGM. They arrived last week, just getting around to listening now.

Interesting how Inner Knot (the US distribution label for these King Crimson releases) is already sending them out, even to record stores where I found my copies, and yet Panegyric says the release date is not for another almost two weeks.
Fascinating…

Well anyway here are the poll threads:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...689-King-Crimson-BEAT-DVD-Audio-Blu-Ray-Audio
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...REE-OF-A-PERFECT-PAIR-DVD-Audio-Blu-Ray-Audio

BTW, thanks for posting the 24/48 info on these.

Sometimes I'm a bit OCD about things and KC is one of them.
I cancelled my DVD-A pre-orders and went with the Boxset.
I won't choke on $92 for potential best versions.
Especially for TOAPP.

I hope you're referring to their different content, because to expect any significant audible difference between DVDA and BD of the same music, is silly.

To be certain that there won't be any "significant audible difference" before hearing either one is "silly", not my choice of words, yours.

I'm not predicting that there will be any "significant audible difference", that's why I asked RT the question indicating that I do have an open mind about something I have not heard.
I'm just saying that to me, in this case paying the extra to have highest res available is worth my money.
If you'd like to contribute to my music buying budget you're more than welcome, otherwise make your choices and leave me with mine.

I don't have the box set yet, and I probably won't get mine until the last weekend of October/first week of November (depending on when Burning Shed ships it out to me) so I cannot compare the DVD-A and Blu-Ray discs at this time.
When I get my box set in, I will check the sampling rates on the Blu-Rays, and if they are different than the DVD-As, I will do a little listening comparison to see if there's any difference I can hear.

:)

After listening to both albums again, I gave a '10' to both of them.
Are they perfect? Are they the best releases of this year? Are they the best releases in the King Crimson 40th anniversary series?
The answer to all of those questions is: NO.
However, there's no significant fault I can find with either one of them to bring the scores down below a '10'.

Both of these albums are the weaker siblings of "Discipline", and so because of that, the music is very uneven.
The surround mixes on both of these albums range from 'amazing' to 'OK', yet I honestly believe that Steven Wilson did the best job he could on all mixes.
The two biggest surround sound highlights on "Beat" would definitely have to be "Neurotica" and the extended version of "Requiem".
As far as "Three of a Perfect Pair" is concerned, "Sleepless" has a pretty cool surround mix, and Side 2 of the album is full with lots of great surround sound moments, bringing a newfound appreciation for that part of the album.

I definitely recommend both releases to everyone at QQ, and they may just be good enough to splurge on the bigger box set, that contains even more in surround sound for everyone to enjoy! :)

I wasn't going to bother with these releases, but having just listened to my mono recordings of them and the 40th Anniversary of Discipline, I decided I could probably live with them despite some suspect vocals and weirdness and the sheer jaggedness of it. There are are some really good bits in there and I think surround versions should up the interest factor no end. The drumming from Bill Bruford, who I've always admired, is excellent, and helped sway my decision.
So I have now ordered them from Burning Shed.

I wasn't going to bother with these releases, but having just listened to my mono recordings of them and the 40th Anniversary of Discipline, I decided I could probably live with them despite some suspect vocals and weirdness and the sheer jaggedness of it. There are are some really good bits in there and I think surround versions should up the interest factor no end. The drumming from Bill Bruford, who I've always admired, is excellent, and helped sway my decision.
So I have now ordered them from Burning Shed.

You have mono mixes of those 80s albums? Now that's something I have never heard before… :confused:

Unless the mixes are different, which they aren't, and unless the playback rig is processing them very differently, which is shouldn't, there should be no audible difference. That's just the way the technology ---and limits of human hearing --work.

Of course, if you listen 'sighted', with all the front-loaded psychological expectations of BluRay vs whatever lurking in your brain, yeah, you might hear 'big' differences, but you're fooling yourself. That's just the way human perception works.

You seem to think that's a patent absurdity. Prepare to be outraged: There's no strong reason they shouldn't be. There are weak reasons --having to do with the outside possibility of a crappy digital playback chain. But none of us has that, right? Fact is, the race to higher sample rates for consumer formats is mainly due to marketing that preys on human gullibility and belief that 'more is better'.

It pretty much is.

But one *can* make confident predictions based on how the technology works.

People can believe all sorts of silly things, it's true. I was just reading yesterday how doctors and staff are *convinced* that emergency room visits spike during full moons. Yet study after study indicates there is no such spike. And that's *doctors*, supposedly highly educated people.

'More is better". Yup, I get it. Still, 192kHz is so far over any conceivable margin of playback error, that it's simply a huge waste of space.

No one is taking anything away from you. And you don't get to choose what I post about. See how it works?

Back