King Crimson - Heaven & Earth box set (18CD / 4 BD-A / 2 DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 40th DVD sets I own (all) are 5.1 DTS/5.1 MLP.
The few 40th big box BR that I have include 5.1 DTS-HD MA.

Is there any surround content in the box that is not included in the two small sets?

Yes, there's the 2003 Japanese concert that was released on the "Eyes Wide Open" DVD.
However, the Blu-Ray contains just an audio-only version, but now the audio is in high-res stereo & 5.1 surround

That's the only exclusive surround content to the box set.

:)

the 40th DVD sets I own (all) are 5.1 DTS/5.1 MLP.
Yes, like I said: they're DVD-A/Vs and also contain MLP, so you're not missing out on a lossless surround experience by opting for the smaller sets, assuming you can play back DVD-A. If you can't, then you're stuck with lossy DTS, in which case an upgrade to the box set might serve you if you have a Blu-ray playback setup that can properly decode the full lossless DTS-HD MA.

Yes, there's the 2003 Japanese concert that was released on the "Eyes Wide Open" DVD.
However, the Blu-Ray contains just an audio-only version, but now the audio is in high-res stereo & 5.1 surround

That's the only exclusive surround content to the box set.

:)

Thanks! That's exactly what I need to know to make a sensible choice.
I do have the Eyes Wide Open two-disc DVD.

Last edited:
Just watching Deja Vroom another time and I never thought the surround was so good until last night. Probably that my set-up wasn't good in the past. I will listen to the excellent Eyes Wide Open again to get me a good preview of the two album releases.

The "data tape" is the multitracks.
The album was recorded digitally on the ADAT format (except the drums), then the original electronic drum parts were recorded directly in a DAW. This original drums session was lost when the original producer died. So Pat Mastelotto took the opportunity to re-record his drum parts for this remix.
So the multitrack DAW session left this world with Ken Latchney.

Maybe this was discussed on the KC forum a while back but I missed the conversation.

I wonder if the ADATs were a safety copy for the rest of the tracks (and they didn't have enough to cover the drums) or if this was an intentional hybrid rig. That was the tail end of the ADAT era and the very beginning of the DAW era. They could have literally been in between technologies with a hybrid rig. DAW supplemented with the old ADAT rig to get enough total channels.

If this had been recorded a few months later the whole thing might have been DAW based and the whole thing may have left this Earth with Ken when he passed away.

Tough call...
Do you go digging through someone's computer files when they pass away?
Personally, I hope someone digs through mine!

Got this e-mail from Amazon UK today:

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

King Crimson "Heaven & Earth (24 DISC CD/BLURAY/DVD)"
Estimated arrival date: June 17 2019 - June 21 2019

:(

They now list the release data as June 7th.

So I’ve bought all the “Big Box” KC sets up through Sailors Tales. (Skipped Thrak for now but still considering). I’m just not that familiar with the early 90s on period.

I didn’t see skimming through the thread however? What is the advantage of getting all 3? Is there some content on the standalone boxes that isn’t on The big one?

I didn’t see skimming through the thread however? What is the advantage of getting all 3? Is there some content on the standalone boxes that isn’t on The big one?
There should be no advantage; there certainly isn't any content on the 2 disc version that is absent from the big box.
The only reason I am getting all three is because I have the other 13 in the 40th Series and am slowly working my way through getting the big boxes.

So I’ve bought all the “Big Box” KC sets up through Sailors Tales. (Skipped Thrak for now but still considering). I’m just not that familiar with the early 90s on period.
Thrak's the only big box I have! I need to spend one more good, long day with the surround content, then switch it out for the CD/DVD set.

I have them all I was surprised how much I of the Thrak box was good to excellent. As enjoyable as the Larks box

Back