Steven Wilson King Crimson in Atmos! ("Larks Tongues" 2CD/2BD set coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn - I was hoping/dreading this development which means I have to purchase all of the KC titles, AGAIN. I already have SW's Atmos version of ITCOTCK from the 1969 box set and it really is the definitive way to listen to that recording. The prior standalone CD/DVD-A surround releases were pretty reasonably priced - hope that continues with these blu-ray sets.

Damn - I was hoping/dreading this development which means I have to purchase all of the KC titles, AGAIN. I already have SW's Atmos version of ITCOTCK from the 1969 box set and it really is the definitive way to listen to that recording. The prior standalone CD/DVD-A surround releases were pretty reasonably priced - hope that continues with these blu-ray sets.
I echo this sentiment. I see myself only doubling down on my core albums. That's maybe 3 - 4 records.

Oh, here we go...
Looks like they're going to take the opportunity to re-release their whole catalog again!

Hook, line, and sinker with me!

I'm often pretty easy to please by Steve Wilson's mixing work. Funny though, my favorite 3 Crimson albums by a mile are Larks' Tongues, Starless, & Red but these are genuinely my least favorite Wilson remixes I've ever heard. Some moments of greatness. I thought he really knocked most of the others out of the park.

Perhaps this will be an opportunity to change that?
There's no way I'll not buy this. Fingers crossed that LTIApt1 is back into shape and free of the outtake gtr overdubs!

From the release page... new 5.1 and stereo mixes in addition to Atmos:

Almost half a century after its release, Steven Wilson undertook the job of mixing the album for Dolby Atmos and, in the process, prepared new stereo & 5.1 mixes. The new stereo & 5.1 mixes – no doubt informed by the more adventurous mix techniques allowed by the Atmos process – are quite different in approach, more expansive than the earlier mixes as released in 2012, while still retaining and enhancing the core power of the original material.

At least we can console ourselves that they are splitting out the vinyl from the digital formats, giving fans a choice, and keeping the prices reasonable. Based on what I've heard in Steven Wilson's Atmos mix of ITCOTCK, I'm very confident he will substantially revisit LTIA and apply his ever increasing set of skills to the Atmos mix of it. I'm in, of course, for the entire discography - again :cry:.

With Yes already announcing a reissue of The Yes Album with Atmos, I wonder how long it will be before other classic bands follow suit. The only thing that will save my wallet is if they decide to bundle the Atmos mix with vinyl in a bloated box, in which case I will pass.

At least this is a 2x bluray edition and not a redo of the big box. That was obnoxious for the 1st album for those of us who bought the 1st 40th anniversary box.

Maybe we'll see the entire Tull catalog on bluray finally too and my plan to hold out for that will fall into place? (In hindsight I'm still retarded for not speculating on those dvd sets! Could have covered a few mortgage payments!)

The US Schizoid shop has the 2cd/2bd set listed for $50. I'd be very surprised if other retailers don't begin listing these KC reissues, and for a bit less. Typically retailers like importcds, amazon, etc. lag behind several days to a couple of weeks on new listings. I also expect these titles to remain in print for quite awhile as these cd/bd sets will essentially be replacing the old cd/dvd-a series.

I don’t see mention of the 40th anniversary 5.1 and stereo mixes being included, I’ve sent a message to burning shed to confirm.

I don’t see mention of the 40th anniversary 5.1 and stereo mixes being included, I’ve sent a message to burning shed to confirm.
From what I can tell they are not. The hi-res original stereo masters are the same 30th anniversary masters that were included on the DVD-Audio sets.

The US schizoid shop lists the following contents:
  • 50th Anniversary edition of King Crimson’s classic 1973 album
  • Blu-Ray I features all-new 2023 mixes in Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound and Hi-Res Stereo by Steven Wilson
  • Blu-Ray I also features the new Elemental Mixes by David Singleton
  • Blu-Ray II contains the complete recordings of every session recorded for the album. All of this material has been newly mixed from the original performances and is presented on disc for the first time in Hi-Res 24/96 stereo.
  • Additionally, Blu-Ray II includes Hi-Res stereo mixes of the original stereo masters & David Singleton’s audio documentary of the album recording “Keep That One, Nick” as previously included on the 2012 boxed set. These are the sole inclusions on the disc to have been issued previously.
  • CD1 includes the 2023 stereo mix and instrumentals of the album
  • CD2 includes the elemental mixes and selected master reels
  • Presented as a 2 x gatefold sleeve edition containing the individual discs plus booklet with new sleeve-notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith packaged in a rigid slipcase
So except for the original stereo master in hi-res it looks like all the mixes are new.

Back