HiRez Poll King Crimson - ISLANDS [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - ISLANDS

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
Does anyone else hear a high-pitched noise in the track Islands? It starts somewhere around 6 minutes into the song. It sounds like my ear is ringing, but it's coming from the left speaker (on stereo). I've tested both CD and DVD-A and they both have it. Anyone else have this issue?

Only a decade later, but I just got this disc and am having the exact same issue. Is this what it's like to have tinnitus? Spectrogram view in Audacity does show a tone at around 17 or 18k starting near the six-minute mark.

Islands High-Frequency Tone.jpg

Only a decade later, but I just got this disc and am having the exact same issue. Is this what it's like to have tinnitus? Spectrogram view in Audacity does show a tone at around 17 or 18k starting near the six-minute mark.

I see this also with Audacity. Just when the trumpet start at aprox 06:00 in the two surround channels. But I cannot hear anything abnormal in my system, apart from a very slightly bothered trumpet by the high pitch. My ear cannot hear anything at such 17kHz high frequency.

Living in the South, we are (of course) subject to many rainstorms, and I love blasting this 5.1 loudly when one is in progress :D.

KC takes me back to my early youth. In that way, they will always live in my heart. And all the recent box releases are way beyond my teenage dreams / fantasies! So much so, I haven't explored it all yet. But I will eventually, and be grateful for the latter-day chance.

Listening to the DVD-A for the second time today.
This one is amazing, better than I remembered. This album deserves more attention, or at least I don't know many fans of it. And the 5.1 mix is perfect for me! The lyrics of Ladies of the Road haven't aged well, but it is so catchy, and that gorgeous vocal arrangement for the chorus...
An easy 10.

BTW, the first time I heard this record was in an awfull 4th generation argentian vinyl pressing, with the noise floor closer to the main vocals level! The 30th anniversary version was already a blessing to me, and then the surround mix elevates the experience to preposterous levels of blisfullness.

Back