King Crimson--List Your Top 5

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new 1969 Recordings box set has a CD called "Let's Make a Hit Waxing", which places you in the studio while the songs were being recorded. It's one of the highlights of the box set. What many might not know is that DGM recently made this same material available for In the Wake of Poseidon and Lizard, and a smaller amount of items from Islands. at 9 CDs, it's essentially another box set - see the attached notes that I created when burning discs. It's stereo, and the fidelity is 10/10. If you're a member of the DGM 1000, it's included in your membership. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• LIZARD.pdf
    62.8 KB · Views: 172
  • ITWOP.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 184
  • ISLANDS.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 189
Like many, this list changes from day-to-day:

The Power to Believe Part 2
Moonchild
Bolero
Dinosaur (little known fact - Adrian Belew wrote this about certain elements of my early business career)
Sailor's Tale

[1] In The Court Of The Crimson King - I heard it in 1970 at the age of 13 and it just made me go wow, and still does!
[2] Islands - my first KC purchase on cassette. Xmas present 1972 I think!
[3] Starless & Bible Black - from 1974
[4] Red - from 1975
..........................and then probably, though I'm not 100% as I really do like the later KC but tend to steer towards the early albums as they had the biggest impact on me as a teenager
[5] Lizard - from 1970

Last edited:
Songs? This changes day to day too.

1. Attackathrak (in 5.1)
2. People (5.1 mix)
3. A Man, A City (live 1969 original lineup)
4. Drop In (only live versions exist - don't care for the reworked "The Letters")
5. 21st Century Schizoid Man (Earthbound version - yes, I'm serious - fidelity is a moot point on this one!)

Somehow this thread reminds me of the few conversations I have had with the great Pat Mastelotto (have I mentioned he is a CLASS ACT?), where he was telling me that , in any other band they tell you WHAT to play...but in KCrimson they tell you what NOT to play!!!!

Okay, I'll play... (top songs list):
  1. 21st Century Schizoid Man - still blows my mind a bit every time I hear it
  2. Neil And Jack And Me - Belew & the Beats
  3. Ladies Of The Road - uncharacteristically raunchy! both lyrically and musically
  4. Cat Food - sounds like it should have been a radio hit
  5. Frame By Frame - amazing guitar interplay
  6. Cadence And Cascade - check out the Greg Lake guide vocal version, if you haven't heard it
  7. Requiem - soundscapes meets agonized improvised soloing
  8. Three Of A Perfect Pair - sounds like it should have been a radio hit
  9. Starless - quintessential Wetton-era track
  10. Walking On Air - last song they did when I saw them on the THRAK tour, had me floating out of the theater
I know, I cheated, that's double the number of songs, but I couldn't stop.

The albums are easier picks for me:

Red
Starless...
Lark’s Tongue...
Discipline
Thrak

The surround mixes really elevated Starless and Thrak for me - also Lizard,
though not into my top 5.

This is based off the Steven Wilson mixes.

1.) Red
A perfect album from start to finish. I call this the definitive prog rock album of all time. The album also contains my favorite King Crimson song "Starless". The song is featured on the movie "Mandy" starring Nicolas Cage. The haunting song is the movie's opener. From the 2 concerts of King Crimson I attended, they would turn the lights red for it. IMO, this is King Crimson's heaviest album.​
2.) In The Court Of The Crimson King
Considered to be the first prog rock albums released. It's debatable if it's the first but no one can deny the originality of it. This was my first King Crimson album I purchased and also the first album I bought on Vinyl. The song "Moonchild" appears in the movie "Buffalo '66". A very unique scene where Christina Ricci tap dances to it at a bowling alley.​
3.) Lizard
Of all the Steven Wilson re-mixes, this is by far the best. It opens a new view into how much depth is hidden in it. The song "Prince Rupert Awakes" is Beatles-esque. It's the song I usually test my speaker system with. It's also the first song I present someone who has never heard of King Crimson. IMO, this album is King Crimson's most complex. Unfortunately, it commonly gets tossed aside but I would recommend to give this album a listen to in surround sound to enjoy its beauty. I'm looking forward to hearing this in Dolby Atmos of all the King Crimson albums.​
4.) Larks' Tongues In Aspic
What can you say about an album with an amazing opener and an equal closer? Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part 2 is covered by Dream Theater on the special edition of "Black Clouds & Silver Linings". One of the best Vinyl to watch spin on your record player. The image of the sun and moon rotating is a creative idea.​
5.) THRAK
Drums, drums, drums. This album immediately caught my attention. It's also so diverse in its song line up. One minute you are listening to an assault on the senses and then the next song is relaxing. It has one of the most accessible songs "Dinosaur". This song also sounds nothing like their other songs on the album or in their entire catalog.​

The first time I heard King Crimson was from the movie "Children of Men". I wouldn't rediscover King Crimson until hearing Ozzy Osbourne's cover of "21st Century Schizoid Man" on the album "Under Cover".

This is based off the Steven Wilson mixes.

1.) Red
A perfect album from start to finish. I call this the definitive prog rock album of all time. The album also contains my favorite King Crimson song "Starless". The song is featured on the movie "Mandy" starring Nicolas Cage. The haunting song is the movie's opener. From the 2 concerts of King Crimson I attended, they would turn the lights red for it. IMO, this is King Crimson's heaviest album.​
2.) In The Court Of The Crimson King
Considered to be the first prog rock albums released. It's debatable if it's the first but no one can deny the originality of it. This was my first King Crimson album I purchased and also the first album I bought on Vinyl. The song "Moonchild" appears in the movie "Buffalo '66". A very unique scene where Christina Ricci tap dances to it at a bowling alley.​
3.) Lizard
Of all the Steven Wilson re-mixes, this is by far the best. It opens a new view into how much depth is hidden in it. The song "Prince Rupert Awakes" is Beatles-esque. It's the song I usually test my speaker system with. It's also the first song I present someone who has never heard of King Crimson. IMO, this album is King Crimson's most complex. Unfortunately, it commonly gets tossed aside but I would recommend to give this album a listen to in surround sound to enjoy its beauty. I'm looking forward to hearing this in Dolby Atmos of all the King Crimson albums.​
4.) Larks' Tongues In Aspic
What can you say about an album with an amazing opener and an equal closer? Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part 2 is covered by Dream Theater on the special edition of "Black Clouds & Silver Linings". One of the best Vinyl to watch spin on your record player. The image of the sun and moon rotating is a creative idea.​
5.) THRAK
Drums, drums, drums. This album immediately caught my attention. It's also so diverse in its song line up. One minute you are listening to an assault on the senses and then the next song is relaxing. It has one of the most accessible songs "Dinosaur". This song also sounds nothing like their other songs on the album or in their entire catalog.​

The first time I heard King Crimson was from the movie "Children of Men". I wouldn't rediscover King Crimson until hearing Ozzy Osbourne's cover of "21st Century Schizoid Man" on the album "Under Cover".
Even nice! Thanks SO much for your post! I really look forward to more of your insight! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

I wholeheartedly concur on Steven Wilson remix of Lizard: being a fan of King Crimson, I was familiar with the album, but never really liked it, it always sounded to me quite congested, and I found the vocals to be somewhat unpleasant. All that changed with Steven Wilson remix, even in stereo! A true revelation, it was so much clear, everything was open up, has space to breath, a true gem that was hidden for so long!

I always liked the Lizard album. It's weird. Jon Anderson fan. The fusion stuff on the rest of side 2. But getting turned on to this band 10 years after the fact, Posiden/Lizard/Islands were the "in between albums". The way Steve Wilson basically finished the Lizard album with his remix was kind of mind blowing!

Yeah anyway, I have to update my top 5 to include the 7.1.4 mix of Larks' Tongues now. This just might be the best mix I've ever heard in my life of anything! Thus usurps Beat then and also goes to the top of the list!

Remixes:
Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Lizard
THRAK
Court of the Crimson King (re-remix from original multitracks)
Islands

My taste in music was developed with Prog in the early 70s, so:
I have copied just that sorted list, because I like all of them. Perhaps Larks and Red are my favorites, especially for 'Starless' song. The best song ever.

I stopped following King Crimson after this first stage, and much more recently I have accessed all of their albums with the desire of a compulsive collector.

But I can't stand, I'm sorry, Adrian Belew's voice.

Then I entered the Surround World, and eventually I subscribed to QQ, after finding out that a guy named Steven Wilson was making Surround mixes of King Crimson classical albums.

Back