HiRez Poll King Crimson - Lizard [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - LIZARD

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio release, the third installment of the King Crimson reissue program.

The same 2009 5.1 mix (mixed by Steven Wilson) is also available on Blu-Ray in the 2017 box set entitled "Sailors' Tales".

Preview scans provided by Neil Wilkes! (THANKS!)

[NOTE: Poll will be added when the discs are shipped]

Attachments

• Lizard_Front800.jpg
    Lizard_Front800.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,013
  • Lizard_Rear800.jpg
    Lizard_Rear800.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Lizard_Discs800.jpg
    Lizard_Discs800.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,006
Pity the bonus tracks aren't in 5.1?

Hey - what do I care - my login doesn't refer to Jim Morrison - but a certain Progressive rock group and their 3rd album....

;):banana:

Last edited:
Just a quick note to remark about the beautiful packaging and the nice inclusion of the 1991 remix of Bolero with Tony Levin's bass work. This would indicate that In The Poseidon will likely benefit from Adrian Belew's vocals on the 1991 Cadence And Cascade. :)

Just a quick note to remark about the beautiful packaging and the nice inclusion of the 1991 remix of Bolero with Tony Levin's bass work. This would indicate that In The Poseidon will likely benefit from Adrian Belew's vocals on the 1991 Cadence And Cascade. :)

I would hope that the Poseidon disc will include the version of Cadence sung by Greg Lake - they did find it a couple years ago and it was available as an mp3 download from DGM.

The Wait is nearly over -- Burning Shed is sending out the Lizard preorders.

I recently received my copy too. Haven't really had a chance to listen to it, so I'll add my score to the poll later.

However, I'm a bit confused as to the contents of the DVD-A disc. There's the promised 5 Lizard tracks in 5.1 and stereo MLP which are followed by three other tracks (also in both 5.1 and stereo MLP) which I can't really identify.
And then there's the three bonus tracks in stereo MLP.
I'm unfamiliar with King's Crimson's work beyond Red and ITCOTCK so I can't determine what those three unidentified songs are myself. The first is most definitely "Bolero", which is also one of the regular bonus tracks (though this one is a few seconds shorter, and, like I mentioned, also available in surround). The other two unidentified tracks are 11:02 and 1:27 long.

Like I said, I haven't been able to spend much time with these discs yet, so maybe i've just missed something; but I see no reference to these tracks anywhere :/ Any idea what they are?

I recently received my copy too. Haven't really had a chance to listen to it, so I'll add my score to the poll later.

However, I'm a bit confused as to the contents of the DVD-A disc. There's the promised 5 Lizard tracks in 5.1 and stereo MLP which are followed by three other tracks (also in both 5.1 and stereo MLP) which I can't really identify.
And then there's the three bonus tracks in stereo MLP.
I'm unfamiliar with King's Crimson's work beyond Red and ITCOTCK so I can't determine what those three unidentified songs are myself. The first is most definitely "Bolero", which is also one of the regular bonus tracks (though this one is a few seconds shorter, and, like I mentioned, also available in surround). The other two unidentified tracks are 11:02 and 1:27 long.

Like I said, I haven't been able to spend much time with these discs yet, so maybe i've just missed something; but I see no reference to these tracks anywhere :/ Any idea what they are?

I think I can answer my own question :)
Lizard, the final track on the album, is apparently a 23 minute long piece which is presented as such on the audio CD. On the DVD-A, however, it has been split up into four parts (the second of which is called "Bolero"). Mystery solved, I guess!

I think I can answer my own question :)
Lizard, the final track on the album, is apparently a 23 minute long piece which is presented as such on the audio CD. On the DVD-A, however, it has been split up into four parts (the second of which is called "Bolero"). Mystery solved, I guess!

Correct!
"LIZARD" is actually a suite of 4 tracks, comprising the following:
A - Prince Rupert Awakes
B - Bolero - The Peacock's Tale
C - The Battle Of Glass Tears/Prince Rupert Awakes
D - Big Top

We split the track into the 4 parts by simply adding track points, as certain CD's were PQ'd in this fashion too.

Correct!
"LIZARD" is actually a suite of 4 tracks, comprising the following:
A - Prince Rupert Awakes
B - Bolero - The Peacock's Tale
C - The Battle Of Glass Tears/Prince Rupert Awakes
D - Big Top

We split the track into the 4 parts by simply adding track points, as certain CD's were PQ'd in this fashion too.

Excellent!

I had an old 80's CD version of this which had track indexing (for the 4 parts) for Lizard. Great to see that its been split into 4 for the DVD-A. Hopefully I'll get my copy today here in New Zealand!!!!!!;)

Well it's landed on the shores of the good ol' USA and after 2 complete run-throughs, I can state with all the objectivity of a life long Crimson fan that this is spectacular! I expected stunning results from both ICOTKC and RED but was slightly dubious about Lizard. I used to drive my college room mates and anyone else I could get to listen completely crazy when this first came out in 1970 - Side One was usually ignored and Side Two was tolerated due to the familiarity of Jon Anderson's vocals - but only for the first 6 minutes as it then "descended" into some weird free jazz shit. I loved it but usually had to listen to it alone.

In those days my system was low fi at best and the density of the music and instrumentation often took on the form of cacaphony. Steven Wilson has performed magic (read the liner notes in the booklet). The 5.1 mix is a revelation and "Side One" has been revealed. Cirkus, the opening track is a stunner and will blow you away - play it loud! "Side Two" of course is the Lizard suite and it is quite the musical journey. Sorry to keep referring to Side One and Side Two but that's how it was back in the day.

LOVED IT - A 10

Reactions: GOS
Bought this yesterday from the only store in Berlin that would care to carry any King Crimson discs: Dussmann and they're open till midnight, bless 'em!

The new clarity and sheen of the stereo remix is a delight. You can hear that the person who remixed it really knows and loves the original.

The 5.1 mix is the most stunning from the KC DVD-A series so far. The most deliberate, discrete and logical. I mean most times the aggressive surrounds actually make sense. They explain in the notes that stereo wasn't enough for this album, but at the end of the "Lizard" suite things get so chaotic, that even the 5.1 with all its might has a real workout housing all the different parts...

I gave this a 10, although I am really disturbed by the gaps on the DVD-A between songs. Maybe this is my player's fault, though I don't have that problem with "Tubular Bells 2003" or all the dts-entertainment DVD-A's.

The 5.1 mix is the most stunning from the KC DVD-A series so far. The most deliberate, discrete and logical. I mean most times the aggressive surrounds actually make sense. They explain in the notes that stereo wasn't enough for this album, but at the end of the "Lizard" suite things get so chaotic, that even the 5.1 with all its might has a real workout housing all the different parts...

I agree with this. The surrounds are used as much as the front speakers and with the same volume as well. Equal partners just like in a Quad mix. A 10.

I gave this a 10, although I am really disturbed by the gaps on the DVD-A between songs. Maybe this is my player's fault, though I don't have that problem with "Tubular Bells 2003" or all the dts-entertainment DVD-A's.

My Oppo 980 has no gaps on the DVD-A.

Got mine here in New Zealand - just about as far away as you can get from the UK!

Wow! As the liner notes say I must be one of those very-strange-lizard-lovers! :eek: Also interesting to read about how Steven Wilson had to re-amalgamate all the parts back together. He's done an amazing job - sonically it sounds very similar to the original mix.

After 3 listens I have to agree that this is one of my favourites in 5.1. It really does open it up. I love Fripp's acoustic guitar in this album. the brass, oboe, and Keith Tippet's piano and keyboards. I also like the discrete placement of the instruments, you can hear the parts playing with/against each other.

The original recording isn't the best, but considering that the sound is superb.

I'll wait before I vote.

"Wear your blizzard season coat"

This is incredible! I have to admit that I hadn't even heard this Crimson album and ordered the CV/DVD sight unseen after hearing how fantastic ITCOTCK was. I first listened to the stereo CD in my car and then put on the DVD Audio and was blown away. An incredibly creative mix and goes from Sepia Brown in stereo to Technicolor in DVD Audio. A perfect 10!

Had a good listen the other night, the musicanship is pretty good :) and there are tons of musical ideas :mad:@:which i think, benifit from the extra space the 5.1 mix brings.

Great album but maybe for me not as good as Red, but then it is a completely different band !!!

My only complaint the discs are difficult to get out of the outer sleeve. a small ammount of extra space to accomodate the booklet would be brilliant. these slide in and out quite well without the booklet in the package.

You folks must stop pre-ordering these as it has pushed back even In The Court for us buying these at a real store!:eek: <Tounge in cheek...> Looking forward as I read the reviews, but here in the USA my local store can't get the last 2 until mid-November now! I take it that ther Court had to go into another production run and is in the queue at some manufacturing site? John S.

Back