HiRez Poll King Crimson - Lizard [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - LIZARD

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
It hope they consider offering the 'fixed' DTS version as a downloadable file that one could burn to DVD or archive to HD.

He didn't say what the problems were but I assume its what has been discussed here.

I have the same problem with the DTS-tracks. I use an old DVD video player (Pioneer DV-636) to listen to the DTS tracks. I do not have a DVD-A player yet. Everytime a track ends "SEARCH" is displayed, and the player seems to seek the beginning of the next track. And that causes the pauses between tracks. It's like the tracks were played in their logical order, but seem to be spread around the disc. New players probably have a buffer included, they may "read ahead", and so the search is not hearable?

-Kristian

It hope they consider offering the 'fixed' DTS version as a downloadable file that one could burn to DVD or archive to HD.

Well Burning Shed has a mailing list they could use to mail out replacement discs to those who pre-ordered. So far the hi rez tracks play fine on my oppo 970 :eek:

I have the same problem with the DTS-tracks. I use an old DVD video player (Pioneer DV-636) to listen to the DTS tracks. I do not have a DVD-A player yet. Everytime a track ends "SEARCH" is displayed, and the player seems to seek the beginning of the next track. And that causes the pauses between tracks. It's like the tracks were played in their logical order, but seem to be spread around the disc. New players probably have a buffer included, they may "read ahead", and so the search is not hearable?

-Kristian

No, the problem is caused by a combination of a bug in Video_TS authoring system (cells not set seamless) and a firmware issue in certain (mainly Pioneer & Sony) players where it assumes that the absence of the flag means that the tracks are separated when it is all one, contiguous stream on the disc.
The issue does not happen on my denons, and should not happen if the DTS stream is decoded & passed via analogue outs. I did not pick this up in testing (and neither did our team) because it is a very rare problem. I have just 5 people who have written to DGM/Burning Shed over this out of all the many thousands of discs sold.

If you want to sort this out for archive, you can do it ever so quickly yourself.
1 - Copy the Video_TS folder to local HDD
2 - Download PGCEdit (google for this)
3 - Launch PGCEdit, open the Video_TS folder you copied.
4 - Open the TT1 timeline, and set flags for seamless playback.
5 - Save & quit.

Alternatively, drop me a PM and I will look after your troubles myself.
This will not happen on any future titles now we are aware of the problem.

Well Burning Shed has a mailing list they could use to mail out replacement discs to those who pre-ordered. So far the hi rez tracks play fine on my oppo 970 :eek:

That's really interesting - I have a problem with the Oppo 971H player freezing up on the Hi Rez tracks because of the 16:9 formatting!
So frustrating sometimes!!!

On Lizard, the disc "froze" going between Happy Family & Lady of the Dancing Water. Had to go to the playlist & manually select track 4. I have a Pioneer DV-59avi player. Had no problems at all with Red & Crimson King.

Surround mix was excellent!!! Music wise, it's different than both Reds & Crimson King, more jazz improvisation elements, and some discordant sounds, but it does grow on you, big time.

I can see Steven Wilson being inspired by Lizards ;)

Excellent work, all. I also give this a 10. Even tho I liked ITTOTCK better musically, the surround mix alone, with its layering & spreading the instruments, merits a 10

All 3 have been fantastic. When are the next releases coming? :cool:

ss9001
Steve

Listened to Lizard 5.1 MLP last night in its entirety: This is a fine, fine disc. I would say the the sound is the best of the three released to this point. The surround mix is stunning. I particularly liked the effect for Happy Family. There is a lot going on in this song that has been deeply buried for decades in the two channel mix! This is a record that I bought shortly after it came out and was a favorite in my college days.

I did have a problem with track 4 Lady of the Dancing Water: The disc stopped playing after track 3 and just displayed Track 4 card. My player is a Pioneer Elite dv 79avi. I don't know of any firmware updates for it, but will check the Pioneer website. If I find there is an update, I will report back here with a link.

I noticed that there are 9 "chapters" (not sure if this is appropriate terminology) but only 8 songs for the dvd-a 5.1 portion of this disc. I havent't checked if this is also true for the stereo dvd-a portion.

But to get back to the music, this disc can take its place among the finest examples of high resolution surround recordings. Mssrs. Fripp & Wilson have hit it out of the park with this release.

i would say the the sound is the best of the three released to this point. The surround mix is stunning.

+1

I'd rate just the surround mixes: Lizards, Red, Crimson King in that order.

5 - Save & quit.

Applied the patch, worked like a charm. Now I can enjoy Lizard in its full, seamless glory! :D

Thanks so much Neil!

Steven Wilson's work on Lizard is nothing short of miraculous; for the first time in my life I wanted to play it again when it finished! Regulars know I was a wet blanket about Lightbulb Sun until the 2007 remix and surround version. SW has become quite the adept mixer, I hope he enjoys the challenge enough to keep at giving classic albums surround mixes whenever the opportunity is presented.

More comments after another play - NP: No Sound - A Sense Of Loss DTS 5.1

Gave it a 10. Others have described the brilliance of the mix, so I won't go over stale ground. That said...

My player doesn't seem to like Track 3. I'm not sure how to describe what's happening, but it's like a "warbling" or "fluttering" throughout the song. I tried disengaging 7.1 to no avail, and the stereo version in Group 2 does the same thing. All other tracks play perfectly.
Not worth returning or complaining, a simple matter to skip one track and move on, and I'd never "take a point off" from the aforementioned 10.

For the record, this is the only track on any DVD-A that gives me a problem (knocks on wood). No Pioneer here, it's a Lexicon Logic7 in my car.

My player doesn't seem to like Track 3. I'm not sure how to describe what's happening, but it's like a "warbling" or "fluttering" throughout the song. I tried disengaging 7.1 to no avail, and the stereo version in Group 2 does the same thing. All other tracks play perfectly.
Not worth returning or complaining, a simple matter to skip one track and move on, and I'd never "take a point off" from the aforementioned 10.

There are heavy studio effects on 'Happy Family', including 'warbling', as well as distortion on the vocals. It's intentional. Maybe that's what you're hearing?

There are heavy studio effects on 'Happy Family', including 'warbling', as well as distortion on the vocals. It's intentional. Maybe that's what you're hearing?

Tried again this morning after reading your post, and I guess that could be it. The instrumental last half of the song is mostly warble-free.
Perhaps the MC mix emphasises the effect to the point I thought it was a defect?
Anyway, thanks for the explanation!

re: the playbcak glitches, on my Oppo 970 , playing the MLP surround, there is a small but definitely audible 'hiccup' between each section of 'Lizard'.

Not sure what my firmware is...I seem to recall installing the last beta version, but then rolling it back at some point. Anyone remember offhand how to display firmware version on the 970?

When playing the track Lizard in either DTS or L-PCM format on my old Toshiba I have annoying pauses before and after the bolero section (there is probably one before big top but since there is a pause in the original piece it is not important).
I have read the Neil Wilkes' message:
If you want to sort this out for archive, you can do it ever so quickly yourself.
5 - Save & quit.
To just be sure, after I have done this, I'll have to burn a DVD-video to be able to play the track without pause on my DVD player. Am I right?
Thanks for the help.

When playing the track Lizard in either DTS or L-PCM format on my old Toshiba I have annoying pauses before and after the bolero section (there is probably one before big top but since there is a pause in the original piece it is not important).
I have read the Neil Wilkes' message:

To just be sure, after I have done this, I'll have to burn a DVD-video to be able to play the track without pause on my DVD player. Am I right?
Thanks for the help.

Yes, you are right. I burned DVD-Video disc this way and disc plays perfectly! With no pauses.

Hello from Amazon.com.

Unfortunately, an unexpected delay from our supplier may prevent us from delivering
some items in your order placed on October 03 2009 (Order# 002-7857464-8334660) by
December 24. We'll keep working to obtain these items for you, and we'll ship the
items as soon as we receive them. Other items that may be in stock will still ship
separately, with no increase in your total shipping charges.

King Crimson "Lizard"
Estimated arrival date: January 15 2010 - January 20 2010

We are truly some sorry and worthless motherfuckers not to have met your
expectations for this important order. We do value your business, and hope
that you continue to favor Amazon.com for your online shopping needs, even
though we redefine the concept of "suck" every single time you order any
music from our worthless, soulless, wretched excuse for a retail company.

After listening to the surround mixes on all 3 of the releases many times now, "Lizard" is definately the best of the three. It's also my favourite from a musical standpoint as well.

Back