HiRez Poll King Crimson - THE COMPLETE 1969 RECORDINGS [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of King Crimson - THE COMPLETE 1969 RECORDINGS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
holy sheeit!
Was listening to CD 1 and , man that band was deffo one of a kind!!! They started a kind of improv no one else had basically done...

King Crimson has always played improvisations and slightly different versions of the songs in each concert.

That's why some of us can stand for and listen to the tons of CDs from their several Box Sets. :)

WARNING: Mis-assembled box sets - no Disc #6, extra Disc #9 in its place

I first bought the King Crimson's The Complete 1969 Recordings box set from Amazon UK. I discovered that instead of Disc #6 there was an extra Disc #9 in its place. I bought another box from Amazon USA. Same exact problem!! A third copy (the Amazon USA replacement) finally had the correct set of one each of all 26 discs. Sheesh!

Be sure to check your copy.

Jim Sheppard
Mine is fine (purchased from BurningShed). Thanks for the heads up anyway

I finally got my copy about a month ago and have been spending a LOT of time going through this huge set with an emphasis on the surround sound. As has been stated, just about every surviving recorded note, take, rehearsal, mix, and live performance leading up to and following the release of ITCOTCK is included here. In addition, there are selected recordings from the short lived Giles, Giles & Fripp band (occasionally with Judy Dyble) that have musical relevance to the debut of KC. This box has the same excellent format as all the other KC mega box sets, with discs inside separate cardboard fold out sleeves sitting in four compartments, replica documents and booklets laying on top. These massive box sets are truly intended for über fans and collectors. The emphasis/value is always the music, much of it live, rather than meaningless swag. Unlike some earlier KC box sets, there isn't as much live material (7 out of 20 cds) with only one concert duplicated on a blu-ray (in hi-res). That's good because the early live KC is pretty poorly recorded. Luckily there are several BBC ‘live in studio’ recordings included which better represent the band in a live setting.

On to the music. It had been a couple of years since I listened to Steven Wilson's 2009 surround mix of ITCOTCK so I’ve listened to all 3 surround mixes in order several times. Compared to the original stereo, the 2009 mix is amazing - it not only opens up the soundstage but also reveals the incredibly layered density of the recording, particularly on the insanely complex Schizoid Man. If the 2009 mix was amazing, the best word I can use to describe the 2019 mix is exquisite. It clearly shows technological advancements as well as the growth of Steven Wilson as a surround engineer. From just a fidelity perspective, both high and low frequencies are better defined and audibly extended beyond what was on the 2009 mix giving it greater clarity and dimensionality. Instruments, voice and various sounds exhibit more separation and space with no hint of harshness or compression. It's like a subtle veil has been removed. Instrument placements in the sound field have been subtly altered and are now more refined. Lakes’ vocals are much clearer and highlighted in the mix. Finally, the 2020 Atmos mix further advances on the 2019 5.1 mix by the addition of rear surround and height channels which are aggressively utilized. Sounds and instruments are more clearly localized in the horizontal plane, while some instruments and sounds have been moved up into the height channels to create a fully immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage. IMHO the Atmos mix is the absolute best way to listen to this incredible 50 year old recording. As Robert Fripp has often stated, ITCOTCK came together somewhat magically, greatly transcending the perceived abilities and expectations of the individuals who created it. An absolute 10 for the music, the mix and the package.

I would never recommend buying a very expensive boxset of an album/group I’m not that interested in just to get a single surround mix - I’ve passed on several of these myself - which makes it a shame that the ITCOTCK Atmos mix will only be heard by relatively few people. Given Steven Wilson’s new found interest (and obvious ability) in Atmos mixing, I’m hoping that Fripp et al. may at some point agree to release more affordable standalone blu-rays of the KC catalog with new Atmos mixes. The music deserves to be heard in this format by the widest possible audience.

Yeah, @Hamilton59 nailed it. I echo every sentiment. As Steven Wilson would say, this album is simply canon—and many of us, myself included, have heard it so many times that we might get to the point where we're just kinda burnt and don't feel the need to hear it again with any kind of regularity (or as SW says in an episode of The Album Years podcast, "ever again"), and like there's probably nothing new to be gleaned from doing so.

When I heard there was an Atmos mix of this I was curious, but with it being locked into yet another monster box after I've purchased this title probably 10 times in the past in different formats... I waited. Finally I just decided I had to hear it, broke down and bought the box. I honestly don't know whether I wanted to prove to myself it was unnecessary or worth the expense. But holy moly.

The Atmos mix is truly revelatory all over again. In a way I did not think possible for something I know this well, in stereo and surround. It is as engaging and challenging as the day it came out, as combative and beautiful, as intellectual and visceral. And it sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday. It is, and remains, a musical prochronism. 1969?

A masterpiece. I do not use the word lightly—but it is truly deserved, in this particular instance and release more than ever before.

Yeah, @Hamilton59 nailed it. I echo every sentiment. As Steven Wilson would say, this album is simply canon—and many of us, myself included, have heard it so many times that we might get to the point where we're just kinda burnt and don't feel the need to hear it again with any kind of regularity (or as SW says in an episode of The Album Years podcast, "ever again"), and like there's probably nothing new to be gleaned from doing so.

When I heard there was an Atmos mix of this I was curious, but with it being locked into yet another monster box after I've purchased this title probably 10 times in the past in different formats... I waited. Finally I just decided I had to hear it, broke down and bought the box. I honestly don't know whether I wanted to prove to myself it was unnecessary or worth the expense. But holy moly.

The Atmos mix is truly revelatory all over again. In a way I did not think possible for something I know this well, in stereo and surround. It is as engaging and challenging as the day it came out, as combative and beautiful, as intellectual and visceral. And it sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday. It is, and remains, a musical prochronism. 1969?

A masterpiece. I do not use the word lightly—but it is truly deserved, in this particular instance and release more than ever before.
King Crimson has always been my favorite prog band ever since I heard Epitaph and Schizoid way back in high school. Since I already purchased all the other box sets there was never any doubt I'd pick this one up, regardless. But like many, I was skeptical that Steven Wilson could wring yet more magic out of this 50+ year old recording for a third time - but we were so wrong. This Atmos mix is simply stunningly good and considering the age of this recording and the relative inexperience of those who made it - well, it's unbelievable. I do wish Fripp & company find a way to release this Atmos mix in a cheaper blu-ray package (along with Atmos mixes of the rest of the catalog, please?) so that more people can experience it. Even though I don't recommend paying hundreds for a single mix, and I've passed on several for that reason, I'd make an exception here - especially if you have any real interest in King Crimson, this album, or progressive rock history.

Just wonderful! Great use of overheads with lots of panning by SW. this box set it very impressive. Part of me hopes they don’t do this for each album because my wife will kill me.

So excited SW now has an Atmos setup to mix on, I want more.
Is there some noise being heard about Wilson spinning his magic on other KC LPs?

i hope your marriage survives many more ATMOS KC releases :

I’m thinking about buying this box to get the Atmos mix. Is it still the case that the only way to get the Atmos mix is through the box? Not available (or planned) standalone anywhere? Not streaming anywhere? Besides the cost for, the waste of all those discs I won’t need seems rather a shame.

I’m thinking about buying this box to get the Atmos mix. Is it still the case that the only way to get the Atmos mix is through the box? Not available (or planned) standalone anywhere? Not streaming anywhere? Besides the cost for, the waste of all those discs I won’t need seems rather a shame.

There's been no word about releasing the Atmos mix of ITCOTCK outside of The Complete 1969 Recordings Box Set at this time.

Sadly, uber expensive box sets or severely limited editions seem to be the predominant way to get Atmos mixes of many classic band titles that have previously received 5.1 mixes. I'm not sure how many more times I could be convinced to re-purchase the same catalog titles, but if bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, ELP, etc. were to start new Atmos re-issue campaigns on blu-ray I'd probably pony up the money (again). Whether that happens before physical media dies out completely is an open question. Until then, while I wouldn't recommend spending hundreds on a box set just to get a single mix, there are plenty of good reasons to invest in the ITCOTCK The Complete 1969 Recordings box - the outstanding Atmos mix is just icing on that particular cake.

Another strategy is to buy the box set, then offer it on discogs or the hoffman forum minus the blu ray disc(s).
There are KC fans who don't have surround systems who would be happy to get the stereo & print material at a discount.

This is one of the first 7.1.4 mixes I've heard. The first encoded Atmos one I decoded to play at any rate. I don't know how much sense it makes to start with something from 1969 for that...

I'm afraid a lot of my early Atmos reviews will go straight into Steve Wilson fanboy territory. I can tell already.

I'm still trying to figure out what I think about adding 6 speakers. I want to say the stereo to quad (or 5.1) leap was night and day while this is another day. Actually I don't want to say that! Mixes like this will help.

This sounds really good! From the immersive parts to the gratuitous bits in appropriate spots to the subtle/classy use of the heights in spots. The 5.1 mix was and is on point. This seemed like a hard sell. But it sounds absolutely great. Guess I haven't heard 5.1 do exactly this either so, alright then!

Back